Credit Card Reclaiming Success Stories

Please report your CREDIT CARD RECLAIMING successes here, if possible in the format

Provider:
Amount Reclaimed:
Amount they paid:
The story:

(just a few sentences, please include how far you went did you a. just write a letter, b. threaten to go to court or c. actually go to court)
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• hopeneeded
    hopeneeded Posts: 100 Forumite
    Bank: Barclaycard
    Amount Reclaimed: 580 plus 133.26 interest = 713.26

Amount they paid: 713.26
    The story:

applied for statements: 1st septmember 2007
    first request for refund: 16th September 2007
    (was offered 250.56 and put it on my old card account), so i refused
    2nd request for refund: 27th September 2007
    no reply until i checked online today and they've credit the full amount!

thanks to everyone on this site for getting me MY money back.

Egg and Abbey are now the next in my sights!

keep going everybody, you will get somewhere! xxxx
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wondering why there aren't many success reports?

This has only just been set up - in the past all credit card reclaiming success reports went in the Bank Charges successes section - you can scan through there to see 1000s of successes
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • got nearly 800.00 from MBNA co-op bank in two hits took about 2months the one I thought I wolud have a problem with GE Bank for my BHS card paid up within a month this cleared my card (approx 250.00)which is now in the bin:T :T :T :T :T
  • Provider: MBNA (Abbey Credit Card)
    Amount Reclaimed: £3108.15

Amount they paid: £2560 so far!
    The story:

I had a nasty car accident 5 years ago & was unable to work for 3 mths, I contacted MBNA but they woulndn't help me, the charges then snowballed, first for missed payments, then the overlimit charges, In August 2007 the account was seriously over its limit (I havent used it for 5 years!!! & only missed 4 payments 5 years ago due to the accident) I had been hit with overlimit charges, late payment charges and the odd 'non sufficient funds' charge every month for 5 years!! (despite not having a card or trying to use it!) hence the recaimed amount of £3108.15 inc interest.

I wrote to MBNA on 8th August 2007 & recieved a reply 4th September 2007, this letter advised all the usual blah, Charges fair & transparent etc, 2 lines at the bottom advised that as a gesture of goodwill my account credited with £1048, but arrears still stood so charges will continue, I used the template letter on 8th Sept stating that I had not recived a satisfactory response so would issue proceedings.On 27th Sept I recieved another 'charges are fair letter' but advising a further £1512 has been credited to my account.

This has been so easy - thanks Martin!! :beer:

I am going to try for the remainder of the reclaim as MBNA have been so indiferent to my circumstances & I have continued to make payments of £115+ for 5 years & until now owed them a horrendous amount of money that I have never actually spent on the card, the 8% interest I have asked for is a drop in the ocean compared to what they have charged me in interest on all the charges they have added.

Going for Capital One for myself & husband next then Halifax for my husband

:j :rotfl: :T
  • :j

I have just received another letter from MBNA advising that they have now 'restructured' my account so that there are no longer arrears showing - so all ongoing charges have stopped!!

Still going after the remainder, as now more charges added on 1st Aug, 1st Sept & 1st Oct amount outstanding is £655.

I will be able to clear this account within a year at my current payments, something 2 mths ago was totally impossible (it was actually an increasing debt despite payment & no spending!!!)

Thanks again Martin & team
    :T :T :T :T :T :T :T
  • firemeup
    firemeup Posts: 56 Forumite
    Provider: CAPITAL ONE
    Amount Reclaimed: £315.59

Amount they paid: £315.59
    The story: Sent all the template letters on this site, filed on Mcol and 2 weeks later got a letter saying I can have all my charges back! This was the quickest and easyiest claim and a massive thanx goes out to everyone on this site for all thier help

:beer:

Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 748
    Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts
  • Provider: RBS Advanta

Amount Reclaimed: £113 + Court Costs

Amount they paid: £113 + Court Costs

The story:

They originally offered me £25 which i wrote back accepting without prejudice...they then replied saying the £25 was only available if I signed a form accepting it as full and final settlement. So i went to MCOL, they defended but settled in full 3 days later

Provider: Alliance & Leicester

Amount Reclaimed: £1177

Amount they paid: £520 so far..

I sent them letter one and they paid me £120 so i sent them a second letter which said i accept it without prejudice but i'd go through the courts if i had to for the rest, I also added

1. That what they had paid me wasn't even the difference between what i'd been charged and what the OFT reccommended was the maximum £12

2. That i should also remind them that these were Credit Card Charges and that any application for them to attempt to get the case Stayed would not be appropriate.

3. That if it went to court i would look forward to them disclosing their actual costs.

I then got another letter (exactly the same as the first but offering me a further £360.

Next week i'll be writing a 3rd letter again thanking them and accepting this payment with out prejudice but also saying that i will take them to court if they don't settle in full also including once again points 1 and 2

Provider: Barclaycard

Amount Reclaimed: £620

Amount they paid: £69 so far

I wrote the first letter and then a few days later phoned them and on their automated system it said was £69 in credit which shocked me as the account had been closed 4 years...

I wrote accepting this without prejudice and heard nothing so went via MCOL which they defended. I spoke to Kings Lynn Court on Monday and it's gone to the District Judge for him to review.

I then phoned Barclaycard on Monday and spoke to the Litigation Department who were to my surprise very friendly and helpful, I explained to them thati really didn't want to take a day off work to go to Court and it would cause them more expense by sending someone to represent them and as was silly would they consider settling out of court...The guy at Barclaycard also agreed with me that it wouldn't be appropriate for them to apply for a Stay and said he'd speak to their accounts to verify the charges that i was claiming and that i should receive a letter offering settlement next week.
  • andymc
    andymc Posts: 43 Forumite
    Provider: Barclaycard

Amount Reclaimed: £1029.52

Amount Won: £1029.52

Claimed originally £949.52 plus £80 Court Costs.
    Barclaycard offered £356, told them no.
    Took them to court 7th June 2007, deemed served on the 12th June 2007.
    They put a defence into court on the 10th July 2007.
    Court granted a date: Monday 13th August 2007.
    Barclaycard offered to settle in full 10 minutes before court case 13th August 2007.
    Got the money couple of weeks later.

Andy Mc, for Hazel
  • Provider: MBNA
    Amount Reclaimed: £1145 plus £269.50 interset
    Amount Won: £1145

hi all

1st claim letter 12/09/07, they replied witha check for £569.00
    so i part accepted then...
    2nd claim letter 27/09/07...
    today i got a latter offering another £576.00 as full and final settlement.

no interest, but i was only using it as a bargaining tool anyway!!;)

so far this month £713(full&inc. interest) from b/card and £1145 from MBNA!!

Keep going everybody, you'll get there.

hopeneeded xx

ps... i'm entering mcol claim tomorrow for egg!!

:A :A :A :A :A
  • Provider: Halifax
    Amount Reclaimed: £1225.00 plus (£271.58 interest)
    Amount they paid: £1,758.55 !!!! Don't ask me ???

The story: I started off by claiming charges from my Bank account, when I realised that the charges on my Credit Card were far higher than my bank account, so I concentrated on getting the statements etc from the Halifax to start my claim. I sent the Halifax my first contact letter (from this site)with full information of all charges on 19th May'07 they replied with 14 days with the usual "We've done nothing wrong" type of letter. I sent them the second letter to Halifax on 19th June, which they took 6 weeks to repond to (only after I called them up to remind them that they were dealing with a complaint case!!) This letter was only informing me that they had passed my case onto a different team to deal with.

1st August, Finally Halifax offer me........£612.50 (half my charges claim amount without interest) Of course I reject this offer and request full payment of all monies plus interest. 10th August, Another offer letter lands on my matt, guess what....... an offer of......... wait for it ........ £612.50!!! with the closing sentence " This is the banks final offer "!!! I don't think so chummy!!! I decided to go down the Financial Ombudsman Service. I filled in the online complaint form, Printed it out and enclosed a copy of all of the letters and the break down of all of the charges!! I got a letter confirming receipt of the info with a helpful guide to what happens next!! Now it was to my advantage that the test case had free'd up the Ombudsmans resourses greatly speeding up the time in which they could start the investigation.

After 2 weeks the FOS contacted me to say that Halifax were disputing this claim and that the FOS had requested that the Halifax conduct a formal investigation into my claim!!! 2 weeks later I receive a call from my case handler at the FOS informing me that they had received an offer which was not only the full charges amount but the interest as well which was suprisingly nearly double the amount that I have worked it out to be, but who am i to argue eh?? Anyway I should be getting the credit onto my credit card account in the next week or so.

Wahoo!! :j

I spent most of the last 10 years in debt feeling alone and trapped with Debts of £23,500.00 :eek: , thankfully I finished paying my IVA 16th December last year so that nightmare is almost over as well, I only wish I had a site like this back then!!
    :A :A
    I would like to thank :money: and all of the other members for their advice and support, I hope that my story gives then the hope that I was given by reading others like it when I was starting out!! Anyway I'll shut up now (Damm Night Shifts) :rotfl:

Never Give up!! :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure