Options

Comments

• NevrEndin
    Options
    Thanks again
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Socajam wrote: »
    Debt collectors cannot charge fees or interest unless the original agreement allows them to do so.

DC can charge fees, do you think that they work for free.
    Just came out of a problem with my Council, debt was sent to debt collection and fees were added.

Debt Collectors have no more power to charge fees than my pet cat.

Bailiff companies, on the other hand, work under a government laid down scale of fees.

I feel you are confusing the two. Councils generally employ Bailiff companies after the matter has been to court.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Socajam wrote: »
    DC can charge fees, do you think that they work for free.

This is for consumer credit agreement related accounts.

A DCA appointed to manage a debt on behalf of a client bank recieves commision from the original creditor for any sums recovered in a lump sum, or by monthly payments.

They are not paid by a fee structure.

You may be confusing Bailiffs with debt collectors, for non regulated accounts chased by a debt collector, they may choose to add there own fee to the amount they are chasing you for, but any fee must be justifyable and fair, and above all proportionate.

You can refuse to pay a debt collectors fee on any of those grounds, enforcement of any fee by a debt collector will be difficult at best.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Big_al_56
    Options
    Just had a visit from a man claiming to be from resolvecall. Didn't let him in and spoke to him over the intercom. He told me that he had a letter and had to leave it. Told him to put it in my postbox and to leave my premises. Do i have to let him in or even talk to him? I have had no letter stating that i would be getting a visit from them.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Big_al_56 wrote: »
    Just had a visit from a man claiming to be from resolvecall. Didn't let him in and spoke to him over the intercom. He told me that he had a letter and had to leave it. Told him to put it in my postbox and to leave my premises. Do i have to let him in or even talk to him? I have had no letter stating that i would be getting a visit from them.

No. He has no more right to enter your property than my pet moggy. You did the right thing.

Let us know what the letter says if you need further advice.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Big_al_56
    Options
    He left a card which states that he called today for the first time and to contact head office Does this mean he will call back? Because if he does he will get the same answer.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    He left a card which states that he called today for the first time and to contact head office Does this mean he will call back? Because if he does he will get the same answer.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, no debt collector has any more power than you or I do, they are just normal people doing their job, that’s it, you do not have to talk to them, or deal with them in anyway.

Having said that, if the debt is yours and you think you may be liable, then it may to in your interests to deal with the matter.

If on the other hand it’s not your debt, then it should be disputed in writing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • GoJo36
    GoJo36 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 February 2020 at 11:57AM
    Options
    Hi, I had a card put through the door saying Resolvecall had come to talk to the previous inhabitant (my tenant who has moved out) about their accounts. Should I ring Resolvecall and provide the forwarding address for them?
  • Galloglass
    Galloglass Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 February 2020 at 3:23PM
    Options

GoJo36 said:
    Hi, I had a card put through the door saying Resolvecall had come to talk to the previous inhabitant (my tenant who has moved out) about their accounts. Should I ring Resolvecall and provide the forwarding address for them?
    Do you have your ex-tenant's authority to share their personal information? Would you open their mail at all?
    • All land is owned. If you are not on yours, you are on someone else's
    • When on someone else's be it a road, a pavement, a right of way or a property there are rules. Don't assume there are none.
    • "Free parking" doesn't mean free of rules. Check the rules and if you don't like them, go elsewhere
    • All land is owned. If you are not on yours, you are on someone else's and their rules apply.
    Just visiting - back in 2025
  • sourcrates
    Options
    GoJo36 said:
    To avoid any unpleasantness, just ignore the matter completely, unless you see them in person, then just tell them they have moved, and you don`t know where, and leave it at that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback