£15,000 to 0

Options

Comments

• Working_Mum
    Working_Mum Posts: 559 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Aw sorry SQ - I had it in my head that your sister was struggling and you were supporting her - too many threads for my addled brain to keep up with :eek:

Have a lovely Easter
  • Silver_Queen
    Silver_Queen Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Another £250 off my debt total - hooray!
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just catching up. Money stuff all sounding good, but there's something more vital than that...

Falafels - you can bake them. Just spray them with oil and pop them in the oven. ;)
    Oh and the tahini in the hummous definitely adds a lot of flavour - the jars of it last for EVER too so might be worth paying out for. However, if you have sesame seeds you can add in a spoonful of those before you blitz it all together.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Silver_Queen
    Options
    Falafels - you can bake them. Just spray them with oil and pop them in the oven. ;)
    Oh and the tahini in the hummous definitely adds a lot of flavour - the jars of it last for EVER too so might be worth paying out for. However, if you have sesame seeds you can add in a spoonful of those before you blitz it all together.

Thanks for the falafel and tahini tips EH! I'll have to give it another go soon then...

In other moneysaving news, I never thought I'd thank Terry May but the rise in student loan repayment threshold is awesome for me :j

This month is the first month that my pay rise to £25k takes effect so I was due to start repaying my loan, but now she's raised the threshold to £25k, I'm now going to continue to repay absolutely zilch :rotfl:

This is 99% good and 1% bad seeing as interest continues to accrue at about £150 each month...I think I might overtop £50k in my annual statement this year :rotfl:
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    I have no idea what my student loan is - I haven't repaid any for about 10 years, since I last left employment! Have always been well below the threshold ever since becoming self employed. I doubt I'll ever earn enough to repay much, but I don't mind paying a 'tax' if/when I ever earn over £25k.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Silver_Queen
    Options
    I have no idea what my student loan is - I haven't repaid any for about 10 years, since I last left employment! Have always been well below the threshold ever since becoming self employed. I doubt I'll ever earn enough to repay much, but I don't mind paying a 'tax' if/when I ever earn over £25k.

Do you not get an annual statement every June/July? I think if you are part of Plan 1 (went to uni before 2012) then the repayment threshold remains the same and rises only with inflation. I believe it's about £18k afaik but I could be wrong, and I'm pretty sure because you're self-employed, it changes as well!
    Total £7,000
  • Silver_Queen
    Silver_Queen Posts: 824 Forumite
    edited 13 April 2018 at 10:45AM
    Options
    On a different, strange and not very MSE note...a post that may see me bludgeoned to death by the MSE gods.

I have been giving it a lot of thought lately and having slowly been inspired by TOPM's outlook on life and a long chat with my sister at the weekend, I've actually decided...wait for it...to spend more.

I'm in my early twenties and my OH is in his early thirties, although we joke that developmentally he's in his early twenties. We don't have kids and have no big financial obligations at this stage besides rent. My OH earns barely into the 20k's and I earn 25k now. We live apart and pay about £1k rent between us, but we both are in the early stages of our careers. His job is a bit more flexible in that he could potentially move to a different location closer to me but we both feel that there's a lot of potential for promotion where he is now, whereas if he moves to a location closer to me, that would not necessarily be the case. There's no way that I can move to be closer to him. We live far enough apart that it would be impossible for one of us to commute daily - ignoring even the cost, the time it would take would nullify any benefits of living together.

Because of the above and the fact that he's never ever had weekends off until he started this job late last year, we tend to spend every weekend together and are both getting a bit worried that we aren't making the most of our (relative) youths and all we ever do is stay in with each other and never see any of our friends. He literally sees his friends twice a year at the maximum.

We've both decided to spend a bit more time (and money) with our friends and enjoy ourselves whilst we can. I'm getting sick of being worried about spending any money whenever I'm out with friends because it has meant (so far) that I go out for one drink and then I feel so bad about spending money that I bail on everyone.

This isn't to say that I will go wild and get into more debt - that isn't the plan. I will just stop feeling quite so guilty on spending any money on drinks, tickets, experiences with my friends. It's making me dull to be around and I hate that.

My plan is to allocate a bit more money to my monthly entertainment budget, spend less on food (the worst culprit!) and perhaps stop saving or overpaying so aggressively. I'll carry on paying back my debt £250 a month to my parents, and save £100 a month in an overpayment pot for them which works out logistically better than paying them extra every month.

In this vein, in the spur of the moment I have booked a short trip abroad to celebrate my upcoming birthday which has cost me £90 and will cost me an additional approx £100 in spending money.

I have also decided to be a bit more consistent with splitting costs with my OH. He earns less than me but because he has a car he usually is the one to come to me. I often give him petrol money but not always, and I feel this is a bit unfair of me so I'm going to make more of an effort to give him his fair share of money.

In less emotional and more usual moneysavingness, here's my mid month balances, which I still haven't worked out a consistent format for -

Owed
    £10,500 to parents
    £332.66 outstanding on my Amex (I pay this off every month in full - next payment is due in early May)

Bank Accounts
    Nationwide - £128.94
    First Direct Current - £354.12
    First Direct savings - £50
    Help to Buy - £167.58

Other
    OH owes me £835 which he is paying off monthly.
    Total £7,000
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    This isn't to say that I will go wild and get into more debt - that isn't the plan. I will just stop feeling quite so guilty on spending any money on drinks, tickets, experiences with my friends. It's making me dull to be around and I hate that.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm 27 and OH is 25 and we don't have big commitments yet. It sounds kind of dark but youth is a bit fleeting and while it's important to pay debt down it shouldn't come at the cost of experiencing life. AND not feeling as guilty when spending on experiences is totally valid. You have a good plan for paying down the parental loan and you earn good money at the moment, which I'm sure will just keep getting better and better as you progress your career.

I think I'm going to try and follow the same plan as you and take money out of the food budget... It is where most of my money, bar debt payments, goes and it really needs to stop! I think I have quite snobbish/ picky taste when it comes to food so really need to try and reign that in!

Where is it that you're off to? Very jealous :rotfl: but am sure it will be wonderful and is well deserved due to your wage rise!
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just thinking about it and I've never received a student loan statement either... Strange! I was pre- 2012 so I think the threshold is just over £18,000. If I was full time I would earn just over that but now I'm part time it definitely doesn't affect me! I think I'll have a look into how to get a statement as I graduated in 2015 so it's strange I've never had anything. I worked out roughly what I think I owe but that's not taking into account any interest, and I'm sure it's mounting up!
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think pinning yourself down to such a tight budget usually results in a rebellion and a splurge. If you can trim some of the food pot into entertainment then that is great - just make sure you maximise the smiles per pound so it is money well invested.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure