We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Options

Comments

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 31 March 2018 at 11:24PM
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Out of interest, are you allowed to sell your spare eggs, or are there loads of regulations meaning you have to give them away?

Great question Pyxis thank you x

Basically you don't need to register with the Egg Marketing Inspectorate to sell eggs to your neighbours, friends or relatives as long as the eggs are not graded for weight or their quality and as long as you have less than 350 hens.

Registration is required to sell at local markets if more than 50 birds are kept and egg boxes must be correctly labelled.

If you sell to shops egg producers must be registered with the Egg Marketing regardless of the number of hens you keep. These eggs must go through the grading process.

Registration with Defra is required if you keep more than 50 of any type of bird.

I have gone in to quite a bit of detail on the question because we have a number of new hen keepers on this thread plus some others thinking of getting hens at a later date. I think it is always useful to know what is and what isn't allowed.

We always sell ours to friends and neighbours and have regular orders for them. It is part of our lifestyle for being as semi self sufficient as possible. If we sell all the eggs except for the ones we need for ourselves the income for these eggs pays for our hens and ducks keep. So our eggs end up being completely free for us and in return for our eggs we put in the time for cleaning both hotels out, getting them out in the morning, getting them back in at night (hens get themselves to bed the ducks don't not to mention won't), poop picking, changing water bowls, fresh bedding and taking them to the vets if poorly etc.. But, those fresh eggs we get from them everyday are worth every bit of time and effort we put in to keeping them. If I crack an egg and the yolk is bright yellow/orange I am happy. They are much tastier than shop purchased eggs that have sickly very pale yellow looking yolks.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That's interesting. Nice to know that you're not riddled with red tape. Bureaucracy being sensible for once!

So, do you add up the total cost of feed etc. and then divide by the number of eggs per year to arrive at a price per egg?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Pyxis
    Options
    ON TV RIGHT NOW!!!

The Wonder of Eggs

David Attenborough
    BBC2
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• dizzybee
    dizzybee Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just catching up with you all, managed to get a shed off free cycle but with the weather not been good its in the coal shed will get it put up when the weathers better, got some old drain pipe from neighbours skip and some wood to make a run, ,can't wait to get started, rehoming in may so should be already,
    like the idea of a swing for the chickens,

SPC no:076
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yep we sell our eggs and could sell double the amount we do

Happy hens lay tasty eggs and one you have tried them, you just wouldn't eat a shop bought egg again ever
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    dizzybee wrote: »
    Just catching up with you all, managed to get a shed off free cycle but with the weather not been good its in the coal shed will get it put up when the weathers better, got some old drain pipe from neighbours skip and some wood to make a run, ,can't wait to get started, rehoming in may so should be already, like the idea of a swing for the chickens,

Great you managed to get a shed for the hotel and a freebie too, can't be bad. Our shed came from a neighbour as a freebie which was great and saved us money too. For the swing just look out for a nice branch when you are out and about. Then you can use some rope to hang the branch from the roof of their run.

Glad you found some guttering for their feeding trough. When I get a minute I will post a pic of our girls feeding trough.

I love it on here when someone gets new hens. Oh and dizzybee we do like photos of any new arrivals on here.;)

How exciting for you. You just wait until you taste your very first egg from them. Just one other thing most of us on here had an idea of the number of hens we would like to keep before getting them like you have, but as times goes on you get some more, then later even more. It's just so addictive keeping them. :rotfl:

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    edwink wrote: »
    Welcome GwylimT to our hen friendly thread

Sounds like you have given them a fair bit of space. The more the merrier I always say. Have you given them names yet? We do like to know who we are talking about on here :rotfl:

When we got our very first hens, many years ago when it snowed we opened the door to let them out. and as the roof overhung their hotel there was not any snow immediately in front of it. So my girls came out one by one hoped off of the ramp and literately walked sideways so they stayed on the dry area of ground that didn't have any snow on it. I had all my 12 rescue hens who had never seen snow in their lives lined up under the overhang of the roof just staring at it wondering what it was. Within so many minutes they were stepping in it, eating it and playing in it. They loved it. The funniest thing was the hens were lifting their little feet up really high as they walked in it because the snow was quite deep. I will never forget that day and if I think about it even now I can still see them now all lined up wondering what they were supposed to do. So you can let them out but I would leave the door open or ajar for them as we do so they can go back in if they are feeling uncomfortable and cold. Bless them.

Edwink

No, no names, I haven’t had this particular breed before, we always used to have raggedy ex battery hens who were rough as! These are real ladies!
  • Pyxis
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    No, no names, I haven’t had this particular breed before, we always used to have raggedy ex battery hens who were rough as! These are real ladies!

Do they cluck in a posh accent? :D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Do they cluck in a posh accent? :D

They squark at the dog when he sniffs their bums!
  • Pyxis
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    They squark at the dog when he sniffs their bums!

:eek: I'm not surprised! I do the same! :rotfl:
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure