Tales from The Shire

Options

Comments

• Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Just reading you job list is making me tired! So i'm happy to read about you dloing it all whilst im sat drinking tea!!

I always have a huge To Do List Jimmy but I work on the basis that most of it doesn't need to be done today :rotfl: Which means I can join you for that tea :)
    Karmacat wrote: »
    You have cluster flies? Mine are sort of hibernating in the attic some years - the loft hatch was disintegrating and a *lot* of them made it into the house proper. I'm hoping that doesn't happen to the same extent, now I have a new hatch.

'Fraid so Karma. Although not surprising seeing that we live in an old agricultural building and are surrounded by pasture land. They're only really a problem when they wake up in the Spring and get trapped in the house or when they come in because they are looking for somewhere to hibernate. February and October look like they're going to be the problem times. I think a fly screen on the back door will help later in the year and we might get a treatment for our little attic void. Other than that there's not much we can do about it - except get the hoover out :rotfl:

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Just been catching up, sounds like you have got a lot going on, but it all sounds exciting.

Pesky flies, but hopefully it'll be over with in a few weeks
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    Just been catching up, sounds like you have got a lot going on, but it all sounds exciting.

Pesky flies, but hopefully it'll be over with in a few weeks

Hi Goldie :wave:

I feel as though we've accomplished so much in these last 7 months. More to do but it feels as those we've broken the back of the main work.

Take care

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Mr F got all the floor tiles down in the barn - and is paying for it this morning :o He needs edging tiles to finish it all off but they will have to wait because I've forecast the budget until the end of March and there is little wriggle room. Man shed stuff has fallen right down the list of priorities :rotfl:

He also moved some of the garage stuff out of the cottage so I shall pop in there later to see how the land lies.

I have sold a couple of chunky things on the Bay which will help bolster funds. I'm going to tackle curtains next. We bought all the curtains from the old house but don't need them now. They were packed into huge boxes so if I can get those shifted it will clear a lot of space.

We are having a little cheese and wine party at the weekend for some neighbours and new friends. A case of wine has just arrived courtesy of Mr F's Avi0$ points so there's just the cheese and crackers to buy. Spends will come out of the fun money budget.

With that in mind, my week is going to be mainly about getting the house in order. DS2 is coming for the weekend too and I'd like to offer a friend a stopover so guest rooms will need sorting.

I finished the first WI painting yesterday but want to make a couple of very slight changes to it. I'll do that today as then it's finished and off my to do list. Mr F is away for a few days this week with work so will need shirts ironing. And I am very close to finalising a meeting date for a Writing Group project.

Lots on the list as always :rotfl:

Better get on...

Have a good week all

Fortune x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,299 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    You have a good week too :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    ... it's so still :)

Mr F is away and FDawg is sleeping after our walk this morning. It was such a lovely morning and FDawg was being so good that we stayed out a little longer than usual. He has redeemed himself as we met Badly Behaved Dog on the lane yesterday and it didn't go well. The problem is that Badly Behaved Dog yaps and yaps and yaps and it makes FDawg very excited. Yesterday he tried to squish him a couple of times :eek: I keep trying to get the owners to come round so we can do a proper controlled introduction but they don't seem up for it :( He was an angel this morning though :A

I have finished the first WI painting and managed to pin down a date for the Writing Group project :T Also gave the living and dining rooms a thorough clean ready for the weekend.

We met up with the builder to go through costs for the barn restore. We came in a few hundred under budget :T However, a few months ago Mr F was offered a piece of garage equipment at a very, very good price and we'd included that in the costs. However, he hadn't picked up that there were separate delivery and installation costs involved so we are back to square one. Oh well, at least we haven't come in over budget which I though was likely.

The estimate for the ground and drive works has come in and it will hurt. We need to wait until the ground is drier before doing anything so that will give us time to get a bit more together for that.

DS2 is bringing his electrician half-brother with him on Saturday so we can get an idea of costs for that too.

I suspect there is going to be a never ending list of man cave requirements :rotfl:

Went to local Writing Group last night. £2 parking but friend brought me a glass of wine so no other costs involved :) I have found a free parking spot nearby for next time.

I've been reminded about veg boxes recently (thank you doingitanyway). I used to love getting mine in Kent. Think I'll look into getting one here. I've started giving my diet a thorough clean up as I've had some minor health niggles recently which can all be sorted if I stop eating chocolate and drinking coffee and wine :eek:

So today's exciting plans include changing bed linen and cleaning up the hall and landing areas. Although I'd much prefer to be in the garden today. This week's surprises so far are Winter Jasmine, Daffodils and Narcissi :D

Have a blooming great week all

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    It's official.

I was in the middle of watching 'Back in Tim£ for T£a' when a rather large bat flew into the living room :eek:

I've spent the last half an hour helping it to escape from the house.

No idea how it got in. I opened the door to a delivery man earlier so perhaps it slipped past then.

Anyhow, it's found it's way back out into the night now.

Early Halloween anyone :rotfl:

Fortune x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,299 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Eeek.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    And I'm singing a bjork song!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Eeek....that would have had me leaving the house and begging a neighbour to resolve. Brave you!
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback