Sky, Error number 25, How much to repair?

Options
Hi

Just come off the phone to sky. We have had little signal on our sky box this christmas meaning we have lost a lot of tv we have recorded due to no satalite signal being recieved. Very annoying! :mad: Anyway, called them up and they said error number 25 (it says this when the " no satalite signal recieved" message comes up) means that there is a problem with either the cables or the dish. And the engineer visit is £65. Anyone know where i can get this done cheaper? I'm in the north east area and not sure where to look!

Its quite annoying really when i only just upgraded to sky HD less than 6 weeks ago. If i hadn't i would have just told them to cancel my contract as i've been with sky a couple of years but i don't think i can do this with me just upgrading to sky hd.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :o
Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350

Comments

• spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Have a read of this;
    http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/no-satellite-signal-is-being-received.htm

You also need to check the signal quality/strength. (quality being the important one) on the remote press;
    SERVICES
    SETTINGS (the spanner symbol)
    Down arrow then scroll across to Signal.

You should have about 60% strength & 70+% Quality ideally.
    Lock should say OK

If you dont,then turn the box off at the mains,unscrew the cables from the back & swap them over,turn the box back on & try the above again.A fault I've came across numerous times is the dish monkey not fitting the retaining pin thru the dish arm to lock the quad LNB in place,so the LNB slides out of the arm.Easy to fix,push back into place & secure the LNB with something thru the hole.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you done the basics and checked the physical connections from the cables to the box, and from the cables to the LNB? Has the dish moved out of alignment?
    Edit: spike you beat me to it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2011 at 2:31PM
    Options
    Phone Sky back up and tell them that as the equipment is broken you are switching to cable (regardless of whether you have it available or not) and you wish to cancel your subscription. If you are under a new 12 month contract for the HD and they say that you must pay the remainder then just tell them you will not be paying for a service that you cannot receive and be adamant that you wish to cancel everything.

They will then put you through to the cancellations department who will again ask why you are cancelling. Explain that the equipment isn't working and you cannot afford to pay for the callout fee and you therefore wish to cancel everything. As if by magic Sky will agree to send an engineer to fix your equipment free of charge!

I have now had 4 callouts free of charge in total over the years using this method (the last one being literally 2 weeks ago)! And yes Sky if you're watching, I would have carried out my threat. :)

NB. You may also be offered insurance at X amount per month in order to have your stuff fixed, refuse this also and be persistent about cancelling.
  • CountingPennies
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I did all the test as per above and then the hubby found himself up a pair of ladders to "tighten the dish"..... so far so good. Seems to be working! Thanks for all the advice :beer:

If it goes off again i'll be sure to follow Parva's advice ;)

• davemurgatroyd
    Options
    Parva wrote: »
    Phone Sky back up and tell them that as the equipment is broken you are switching to cable (regardless of whether you have it available or not) and you wish to cancel your subscription. If you are under a new 12 month contract for the HD and they say that you must pay the remainder then just tell them you will not be paying for a service that you cannot receive and be adamant that you wish to cancel everything.

They will then put you through to the cancellations department who will again ask why you are cancelling. Explain that the equipment isn't working and you cannot afford to pay for the callout fee and you therefore wish to cancel everything. As if by magic Sky will agree to send an engineer to fix your equipment free of charge!

I have now had 4 callouts free of charge in total over the years using this method (the last one being literally 2 weeks ago)! And yes Sky if you're watching, I would have carried out my threat. :)

NB. You may also be offered insurance at X amount per month in order to have your stuff fixed, refuse this also and be persistent about cancelling.
    Unless the equipment has just been installed by them (in which case it has a full 12 month warranty) and yours was merely an upgrade in package to your own existing equipment, the responsibility for non reception of the signal is yours as you own all the equipment and does not give legal grounds for cancelling a 12 month contract.
  • CountingPennies
    Options
    Unless the equipment has just been installed by them (in which case it has a full 12 month warranty) and yours was merely an upgrade in package to your own existing equipment, the responsibility for non reception of the signal is yours as you own all the equipment and does not give legal grounds for cancelling a 12 month contract.

Is this aimed at me? Because as i said in my original post, i know that the equipment belongs to me as i only upgraded my package, not my box.

Anyway... problem solved now :D

• spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Is this aimed at me? Because as i said in my original post, i know that the equipment belongs to me as i only upgraded my package, not my box.

Anyway... problem solved now :D

Reads like it was aimed at Parva....
  • CountingPennies
    Options
    You never know on here.... :rotfl:

• Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    I'm aware that the OP had only just subscribed to the HD package and I also understand that this incurs a new 12 month contract but I'm pretty sure that my line of action would still work in this instance. Ordinarily however people are usually out of contract when this issue occurs in which case it definitely works!

Had I just upgraded to HD and incurred a new 12 month contract I would argue that it was once again their responsibility to fix the equipment (bearing in mind that such an upgrade usually means the installation of a new box and possibly LNB) so my advice to threaten to cancel stands.

In either case, it is only on getting through to the cancellations department that you get hold of the people that can authorise the waiving of the £65 fee and as stated I have now had four free visits in this manner. :)
  • CountingPennies
    Options
    Its a good system Parva! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts