First Utility 18.6% rise.

Options

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    zerog wrote: »
    This explains why they topped most of the comparison sites for most of winter. And is also a good indication of why you should never automatically go with the cheapest.

It's the risk you take when choosing a variable rate tariff. But one I would take if the savings were sufficient enough, even if it means possibly switching again should a price rise occur.

If you want the certainty of no price increases for a year or so, then choose a fixed rate tariff :)
  • jstvj
    jstvj Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    I'm off goodbye First Utility
  • backo
    backo Posts: 346 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2013 at 4:08PM
    Options
    Not sure what everyones problem is. I joined late last year and pretty much expected this price rise as they were so cheap at the outset and were clearly attracting customers. The fact that I could move after 3 months mitigated any problems without being locked in to an increased tariff.

Have already received cashback from quidco as moved to them via uswitch so just a case of finding a new provider. The fact they upped my direct debit last month to cover the shortfall due to the extended winter period means no shocks in terms of a large debit balance to be repaid when I come to switch.

Yes it isnt the best to increase prices so soon after customers joined but surely people expected it?
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    backo wrote: »
    Not sure what everyones problem is. I joined late last year and pretty much expected this price rise as they were so cheap at the outset and were clearly attracting customers. The fact that I could move after 3 months mitigated any problems without being locked in to an increased tariff.

Have already received cashback from quidco as moved to them via uswitch so just a case of finding a new provider. The fact they upped my direct debit last month to cover the shortfall due to the extended winter period means no shocks in terms of a large debit balance to be repaid when I come to switch.

Yes it isnt the best to increase prices so soon after customers joined but surely people expected it?

Why would people expect a rise so soon after joining? Sorry, just don't get your logic here....
  • backo
    backo Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    because they are a company that is well documented to be increasing their customer base, offer cheapest (by far) prices (during the winter months) to attract customers.

Now they have these customers they increase the prices. If half stay..job done.

They arent going to attract customers with average/high prices are they?
  • JSR
    JSR Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    backo wrote: »
    Not sure what everyones problem is.
    That's what I thought when I read this thread. Their prices, which by all accounts were cheaper than anything else on the market, were held for at least six months through a cold and extended winter. This increase was then announced in plenty of time for people to find alternatives. Did they promise something else to justify the claim of "diabolic breach of trust"?
  • flashnazia
    flashnazia Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Options
    Why would people expect a rise so soon after joining? Sorry, just don't get your logic here....

Because this tariff, compared to other providers, was dirt cheap. It was unlikely to last but I'm grateful I got the cheapest energy throughout the horrid winter we had.
    "fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what was this tariff that enticed so many?
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what was this tariff that enticed so many?
    Tariff Name - iSave v12
    Electricity unit rate per KWh 10.107p
    Gas unit rate per KWh 3.395p
    Electricity standing charge - Supply 17.850p per day
    Gas standing charge - Supply 19.740p per day
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • bellandbottle
    Options
    I have checked with the comparison sites, and I cannot find any deal which is better than iSave 15, but I could be looking in the wrong places.

Has anyone else found something better?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport