First Utility 18.6% rise.

Options
12346»

Comments

• TrickyDicky101
    TrickyDicky101 Posts: 3,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just initiated the switch from First Utility. I'm not grumpy about them putting their prices up - I enjoyed 6 months of cheaper energy. I also really liked the ease of managing my account and submitting readings online. Have to wait and see what edf are like now :)
  • 50tony
    50tony Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I'm on a tarrif fixed until September 2013. Not the cheapest but fixed :cool: So far the price has stayed the same.
    I chose FU because I cannot bend down to read my meters. Smart meters took away this painful task and are also very useful at seeing when and how to make savings :T
    When the whole country has smart meters then it will be a lot easier to switch and see very quickly what your energy costs are :D
    I hope that by September prices stabilise enough to allow me to make a decision on whether to stay with FU.
    The big six always put their prices up just before it gets cold, so it might just even out around Autumn.
    I'll just have to wait and see what transpires. Whatever happens prices will never go down.
  • Emma18
    Emma18 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    I'm in the same boat as many of you where we switched to FU 3 months ago as they came up cheapest in comparison, now got the email to say we will be moved to standard tariff etc etc.

They have given me details of their iSave fixed September 2014 and an initial look at the unit prices - am I getting this wrong - but considering all is going to increase anyway, wherever I go - I don't think it looks too bad.......what do you think?

Current FU Electricity standing charge per day: 17.85
    iSave fixed 2014: 22.00

Current Electricity unit rate per KWh: 10.159
    iSave fixed 2014: 11.210

current Gas standing charge per day: 19.74
    iSave 2014: 22.00

Current Gas unit rate pence per KWh: 3.648
    iSave 2014: 3.880

Just did a comparison through Martins Cheap Energy club and FU's product is in the list, but about 6th cheapest. Npower's online fixed til August 2014 comes in at costing me £191 per year more than current and FU's iSave 2014 reckons £214 more than we currently pay.

Can I be bothered to go through aggro of swapping for £23 per year? I guess I might not be a true 'moneysaver' !? What would you do?

Think I want to stick with a fixed rate, not the variable rates that have come up....
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2013 at 11:24AM
    Options
    Emma18 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm in the same boat as many of you where we switched to FU 3 months ago as they came up cheapest in comparison, now got the email to say we will be moved to standard tariff etc etc.

They have given me details of their iSave fixed September 2014 and an initial look at the unit prices - am I getting this wrong - but considering all is going to increase anyway, wherever I go - I don't think it looks too bad.......what do you think?

Current FU Electricity standing charge per day: 17.85
    iSave fixed 2014: 22.00

Current Electricity unit rate per KWh: 10.159
    iSave fixed 2014: 11.210

current Gas standing charge per day: 19.74
    iSave 2014: 22.00

Current Gas unit rate pence per KWh: 3.648
    iSave 2014: 3.880

Just did a comparison through Martins Cheap Energy club and FU's product is in the list, but about 6th cheapest. Npower's online fixed til August 2014 comes in at costing me £191 per year more than current and FU's iSave 2014 reckons £214 more than we currently pay.

Can I be bothered to go through aggro of swapping for £23 per year? I guess I might not be a true 'moneysaver' !? What would you do?

Think I want to stick with a fixed rate, not the variable rates that have come up....

If you're facing increases of about £200 a year, then I guess your annual cost is in excess of £2000
    I probably wouldn't bother switching supplier for a 1% saving, especially as the quotes are only as accurate as the annual usage you input; any change to that consumption could affect the savings suggested.

Also if the nPower deal includes the £100 a year saving paid on the anniversary date (and chances are you may switch again in August 2014 when the fixed deal comes to an end) then you effectively lose about 2 months discount (about £16 - wiping out 2/3rds of the previous year's saving)

However, if you do decide to switch supplier, you could get cashback :beer:
  • chris1973
    chris1973 Posts: 965 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2013 at 10:43PM
    Options
    To those that say 'What's the problem just switch again' That's fine if you have the time to go through the comparison websites

Then MAKE THE TIME - basically if you put the effort in and find that you save £100 in return for 30 minutes of work, thats a hell of a lot more than most employers pay for 30 minutes of your time!.

Chances are, in the time you've spent reading and posting on this forum, you could be well on the way to comparing prices on comparison sites and saving money!.

If you can't then expect to pay over the odds at some point if you remain where you are for extended periods of time, especially if you aren't on a fixed tariff. Energy prices are only going to increase with time, and nobody else is going to do the legwork for you.

Technically, it often comes down to a choice. Should I watch that soap opera / top gear episode or should I check my energy prices and potentially save some dough.

Those are the choices for most people - choose wisely.
    "Dont expect anybody else to support you, maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when each one, might run out" - Mary Schmich
  • samwardill
    samwardill Posts: 219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I told first utility that I wanted to switch supplier because of the price rise. It is my right under of ofgem rules to be charged at my old tarif until the transfer is complete. It took a while to get first utility to agree to abide by ofgem rules. They then billed me incorrectly using the new tarif. They are now trying to object to my switch because my account has an outstanding balance of £209. However this outstanding balance is based on an incorrect bill. My account is not overdue. I am on fixed direct debit and the usage has just run ahead of the fixed payments. As soon as they bill me correctly I will pay the bill. I think first utilities behaviour is appalling. They are not following ofgem rules.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 25 July 2013 at 8:46AM
    Options
    samwardill wrote: »
    I told first utility that I wanted to switch supplier because of the price rise. It is my right under of ofgem rules to be charged at my old tarif until the transfer is complete. It took a while to get first utility to agree to abide by ofgem rules. They then billed me incorrectly using the new tarif. They are now trying to object to my switch because my account has an outstanding balance of £209. However this outstanding balance is based on an incorrect bill. My account is not overdue. I am on fixed direct debit and the usage has just run ahead of the fixed payments. As soon as they bill me correctly I will pay the bill. I think first utilities behaviour is appalling. They are not following ofgem rules.

Sorry, but if you received a bill at the new increased rates, and that was before they refused you to switch, it sounds like you didn;t comply with the terms ... so the supplier was entitled to charge you the revised rates, and if you didn't pay the bill within 28 days, then yes they can refuse your switch request.

Do FU even allow payment on receipt of bill? :huh: I thought it was all monthly DD payments.

You then say the account is not overdue because you pay monthly by DD. And then say you will pay the bill. So your post really makes no sense at all...

I suggest you give them a call. I'm sure all this can be sorted out one way or another by talking :)
  • samwardill
    samwardill Posts: 219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    Sorry, but if you received a bill at the new increased rates, and that was before they refused you to switch, it sounds like you didn;t comply with the terms ... so the supplier was entitled to charge you the revised rates, and if you didn't pay the bill within 28 days, then yes they can refuse your switch request.

Do FU even allow payment on receipt of bill? :huh: I thought it was all monthly DD payments.

You then say the account is not overdue because you pay monthly by DD. And then say you will pay the bill. So your post really makes no sense at all...

I suggest you give them a call. I'm sure all this can be sorted out one way or another by talking :)

They have admitted that they made a mistake by sending me a bill at the new rates. I am waiting for a revised bill.

They are telling me I need to pay the outstanding balance as a one off within 30 days. My DD is fixed monthly amount. This is how the actual charges have got ahead of the DD.

I have emailed them rather than calling (so I have an audit trail). I'm sure it will be resolved.

I am just saying that I think they have no right to object to my transfer when a) I am not behind on our agreed fixed monthly payment schedule and b) they are asking me to pay an amount that they have admitted is incorrect.
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    Options
    To those that say 'What's the problem just switch again' That's fine if you have the time to go through the comparison websites, then the cashback websites and work out exactly the best deal for you now.. TODAY and switch, but I think the vast majority of people just want a reasonable price that will stay reasonably low in the market place. Not necessarily giving the absolute cheapest rate at all times, but one that will give low rates over a few years.

For a long time now, I've realised that this never happens, you get a good deal, they hoick you in and pull the rug under your feet.

I've resisted 'FIXED tariffs' but I'm going in for a fixed deal from npower, fixed until Jun14 so I've got about a year I can forget about changing what seems like every 3-4 months.

The problem I see here, is FU are only giving you effectively 1 months notice, and that means switching yesterday to start the switching process to try and avoid the hike. Also, the 'hike' is absolutely preposterous, if they increased their prices but still came out as a cheapish provider then what really would be all the fuss about, but they are moving customers automatically from the cheapest deal around to a very expensive tariff. That's the problem.

It’s a real shame for FU and their customers that they have knifed in the back. FU customers will vote with their feet and no doubt switch yet again! Am I the only one fed up with this?

Join Martins cheap energy club http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

and do what they say
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure