PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

So tired of denial of the state of the housing market

Options
I’ve had my Essex house on the market for over 13 weeks now – since the start of March. It’s a nice 3 bed semi-detached house in a quiet road, right by the beach and less than 10 mins from the most reliable train line into London (1hr).

When I first put it on the market, I naively didn’t think for a second that it would still be on the market 3 months later. I live just past Southend which, for those don’t know it, is one of those places that constantly makes the news for being “the best place to move for a commuter”, or “largest % house price rise” etc.

I don’t think it’s the house – every viewing we’ve had has commented on how much they love the place, and would buy it today etc etc… but they’ve all got houses to sell/ended up not being able to afford it due to mortgage problems etc. A couple of viewers weren’t even on the market, but liked the look of it so much they had to come view.

Nobody can sell theirs to buy ours. We’re planning on moving to the West country, and some of the houses there have been on the market for a year!

HOW DOES ANYONE MANAGE TO MOVE?

I’m happy to post a link for feedback, but I’m aware that for some of you, 13 weeks may not even sound that long. It just seems like a long time for me, for my house, for where I live.

So what is up with the market? The original EA we used for valuation (not for sale) was convinced it would sell in 2 weeks and people were “queuing up” for houses like mine. I even dropped the price £10K for a ‘quick sale’. Are there just hoards of delusional estate agents out there with their heads in the sand convinced that the market is still buoyant? Are they the ones causing this?

Is it just a waiting game, or is the answer to keep reducing the price? Or possibly change estate agent (though I’m v.reluctant to do that)? Can anyone make me feel better about having to put my life on hold?

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport