PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

So tired of denial of the state of the housing market

Options

Comments

• Reds-on-Sea
    Reds-on-Sea Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    I agree it looks bare. OH wanted it that way for the photos. He was all "People don't want to see our toaster" lol...

The font garden does all the way to the pavement (see red line demise pic which the EA has for some reason made the 2nd pic!)

I spent £1400 getting that brick stripped and all that lovely metal trunking put in the utility room! If someone wants to re-plaster back over it, they're gonna have to do it themselves! :-)

Kitchen – agreed. it's the weakest part of the house. it was the next thing on our to do list. EA advised not to bother tarting it up. I'm starting to think maybe I should now.

Overall impression = bare.

There's absolutely nothing in the gardens - other than a hedge I presume is yours and a shrub I presume is the neighbours (or, worse still, a bone of contention as to just who it belongs to). Basically - my reaction to the garden is "poor little unloved garden that they don't use for anything at all - neither use nor ornament".

Re the loo and office = "Oh heck - got to get a plasterer and electrician in to sort those out/don't want to go to that much trouble for a house that isn't a Forever House".

Kitchen - errm...

Front of the house = can't be quite sure where your garden ends and "public property" begins. Am guessing your front garden only goes up as far as the nearest path in front of the house. Just got the feeling generally between that path set-up and the "whose shrub is that?"/undefined side boundary that I might end up struggling to make it plain exactly what was and wasn't "mine".
  • Reds-on-Sea
    Options
    Yes I had an offer that fell through.
    sal_III wrote: »
    What pinkteapot said, It's easily the most expensive 3-bed in the area and although a nice house I don't see a "wow" factor in it, that could convince buyers to pay several £10k premium for it.

When you say that people do want it at the current price, have you had actual offers, that fell through or just comments from viewers?
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    I am so nosey that I want to know why your neighbour's house is obscured on the street view :D
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I am so nosey that I want to know why your neighbour's house is obscured on the street view :D

Self importance? :D

I know you can request Google blur your house if you want it.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I agree it looks bare. OH wanted it that way for the photos. He was all "People don't want to see our toaster" lol...Oh yes they do, if it's a Dualit. Selling houses is about selling dreams and aspirations as much as anything. It's all b*ll*cks, but people see your style and it gets in the way of them imagining their style, especially if it looks like you can't even afford a toaster!

The font garden does all the way to the pavement (see red line demise pic which the EA has for some reason made the 2nd pic!) Sure, but it's not defined and screams, 'Council post-War landscaping for the Brave New World!' Folks will wonder about covenants banning planting there. I looked on Street View to check if people had, but I still worry that many haven't.

I spent £1400 getting that brick stripped and all that lovely metal trunking put in the utility room! If someone wants to re-plaster back over it, they're gonna have to do it themselves! :-) And I bet 90% of your target market would sigh and do just that!

Kitchen !!!8211; agreed. it's the weakest part of the house. it was the next thing on our to do list. EA advised not to bother tarting it up. I'm starting to think maybe I should now.
    I noticed straight away that you were attempting to hide the kitchen. Don't spend money; take it off the asking price.
  • Reds-on-Sea
    Options
    I'd love to know too!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They have a trailer with a skull & crossbones on it.
    Bit of a give-away. Obviously pirates. ;)
  • Reds-on-Sea
    Options
    yes, my older neighbours have replaced their original 50s doors and bakelite handles with lovely hardboard ones with stainless steel handles, and the solid oak balustrade with some other generic hideous one. Each to their own though. The bathroom's practically brand new. Kitchen is !!!! tho! Can assure you that the"outhouse" has cavity walls and fully complies with building regs! If nothing else, the MOD build houses to last! The walls are all concrete skimmed! As you can no doubt tell we're mid-century fans, which is why the house appealed to us in the first place. Looking at other people's houses, I can see that people don't always feel happy with empty space. All good feedback tho!
    Davesnave wrote: »
    It's fine, but there's a kitchen utility and bathroom to replace from where I'm sitting. Bathroom reminds me of a public loo. I had that kitchen in 1980 something.

Old fogeys like me also ripped out those 'Shaker' (?) doors with the bakelight handles back in the 1980s, so no amount of EA flim-flam will persuade us to have them back! Some good old engineered oak doors from Howdens would go much better with your floors.
    Then there's the utility room/office which appears converted from a single skin outhouse, so that wouldn't meet building regs without an external grade door between it and the kitchen. A work in progress methinks. Useful though.

The EA has done their best fish-eye lens trick, bending everything in sight, but the sitting rooms still too narrow for me, as it's a through-room and thus further compromised. Could be closed off I suppose. More work!.

Your minimalist approach makes the house feel unloved; it's better than clutter, but it hides less.

Overall' I think it has promise, especially with that good,if unexploited, garden. At the right price it should sell, but looking at the sold prices locally, I'm not sure it is.

Apologies for being so blunt. :o

Now to see what others have said.....
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I spent £1400 getting that brick stripped and all that lovely metal trunking put in the utility room!

And have successfully knocked about £3,000 off the value!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 June 2018 at 2:40PM
    Options
    You clearly have a definite style and I think your house wont appeal to all,

I can see you are retro and perhaps others will view it as not modern enough and need to replace some of the features you have with something more modern and spend quite considerable money in doing so.

A kitchen will sell a property,at the moment yours is too basic looking.
    A bathroom will sell a property and at the moment yours is individually styled.

Those 2 rooms will make or break a sale and I'm not sure if they are hitting the specification perhaps for your target market.

The rooms are quite boxy and again probably not the current trend,dining rooms are not fashionable and most people will want the kitchen diner option,whilst its just taking down a wall,its a lot of work for most people to contemplate when they can easily find a house where its already been done.

The gardens are lovely in size so why haven't you developed them,they are too basic and need a splash of colour some pots plants anything really even a table and chairs with a patio umbrella anything to save it all from being too blank a canvas.

I understand that people like to see things in a raw format in order to help visualise their things in a property but the way that your house is showing itself to me is one that's going to need a substantial amount of work but at the moment its priced as if the work was done.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills