980L usage per day?!?!

Options

Comments

• Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the box the meter is in is filling with water, they will have to dig down to check it anyway. Although they say anything on the other side of the meter is the customer's responsibility, it is not technically correct as the meter has a 1m long pipe attached which is used to connect to the customer's mains pipe. If it is leaking at this joint it is also the water board's responsibility as, only they or certified contractors, are allowed to connect the supply pipe to the meter pipe.
  • Dannii75
    Dannii75 Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone!
    So, even once I get the stop tap fitted in my house & let's say it isn't me, it could still be my issue if it's not a faulty meter, the meter joint or within 1m of the the joint? I feel I may have a battle on my hands! :/
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i would call them back and tell them whilst you are going ahead with the internal stop !!!! fitting, you have emptied the external meter box twice and within X hours it has filled up again and maybe they will come out quicker?
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • Dannii75
    Options
    lindens wrote: »
    i would call them back and tell them whilst you are going ahead with the internal stop !!!! fitting, you have emptied the external meter box twice and within X hours it has filled up again and maybe they will come out quicker?

I'll do that! thank you
  • Dannii75
    Options
    Update:
    Stop tap fitted in my house - turned it off & the dial in the meter outside the property is still whizzing around. So, it's either a leak by the meter or under my driveway/ house!
  • ciderboy2009
    Options
    I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. Bristol Water were brilliant.

Once I'd had the internal stop tap fitted and proven that it was outside of the house they sent someone around within a day or two.

It was a leak on one of the joints to the meter so was fixed free of charge (although they apparently do one repair per property free anyway as they confirmed that this repair wouldn't count towards that).

Once repaired they took another meter reading after 6 or so weeks and used this to calculate a credit on my bill (which was more than I'd anticipated it being).
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It really is worthwhile reading you water meter regularly so you get an idea of your consumption.
    It will help you identify any leakage problems which if left unnoticed could cost you a lot more than just the wasted water. It could undermine your foundations, paths or driveways.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,178 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I had a similar shock when I got my bill from Wessex Water last year, they dealt with it very quickly and efficiently. They identified the leak was between the meter and the external wall of my property and warned me that they may have to dig my drive up, but that they would replace it as good as new (at their cost). They came within 3 days, found the leak was at the meter on the pavement, fixed it in a couple of hours and I received a leakage allowance about a week later which covered the massive bill. I do have a stopcock under the stairs btw, so they could quickly identify that the leak was between it and the meter. HTH
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Dannii75
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    It really is worthwhile reading you water meter regularly so you get an idea of your consumption.
    It will help you identify any leakage problems which if left unnoticed could cost you a lot more than just the wasted water. It could undermine your foundations, paths or driveways.

You're not wrong! lesson learnt! I'll be taking regular readings from now on! I hadn't thought about the foundations! that's a very very good point! thanks!
  • Dannii75
    Options
    Misslayed wrote: »
    I had a similar shock when I got my bill from Wessex Water last year, they dealt with it very quickly and efficiently. They identified the leak was between the meter and the external wall of my property and warned me that they may have to dig my drive up, but that they would replace it as good as new (at their cost). They came within 3 days, found the leak was at the meter on the pavement, fixed it in a couple of hours and I received a leakage allowance about a week later which covered the massive bill. I do have a stopcock under the stairs btw, so they could quickly identify that the leak was between it and the meter. HTH

that's useful to know! WW don't seem to be in a rush to come out but your post has put my mind at rest a little more! thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure