Does Anyone Know Update and advice still needed

Options
1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    When my son displays avoidance behaviours, there is something wrong and he knows it. Usually involves mistruths of some sort. Sorry, but that's my experience. The more elaborate the story, the more likely this is.

I'd leave him to it. There's something he's not telling you.
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    When my son displays avoidance behaviours, there is something wrong and he knows it. Usually involves mistruths of some sort. Sorry, but that's my experience. The more elaborate the story, the more likely this is.

I'd leave him to it. There's something he's not telling you.

Yes, if you say so.

My son displays avoidance behaviours over everything, from how much his car service cost, to where he got his hair cut, to what film he saw at the cinema, to which band he saw at the gig in London, to what made him burst out laughing last night. Its just in his nature to be like that.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    Yes, if you say so.

My son displays avoidance behaviours over everything, from how much his car service cost, to where he got his hair cut, to what film he saw at the cinema, to which band he saw at the gig in London, to what made him burst out laughing last night. Its just in his nature to be like that.

I'm really quite sad to read that. To 'avoid' discussing everything in his life with you must be hard.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • tesuhoha
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    I'm really quite sad to read that. To 'avoid' discussing everything in his life with you must be hard.

Just the way he is, always has been.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• bertiewhite
    Options
    You could look at a lot of threads and say that. At least this is money related and of course it is family. A lot of threads on this board don't have anything to do with money.

It's more to do with getting a refund of tickets than family I'd say.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes, if you say so.

That's probably not avoidance behaviours, that's more 'young person grunts are all you will get' syndrome.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just the way he is, always has been.

Isn't that the way most young adults are at some point in their lives?

Having successfully raised two of them through to mid-twenties and one now at 18 they've all gone through the same phase. The running joke in our house is: Where are you going? Out. When will you be back? Later. Who are you going with? Friends. The exact same things we said to our parents 30+ years ago!!

I don't think there's anything 'sad' or abnormal about young adults wanting a life independent from their parents and exercising their power to not share every detail with them.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • tesuhoha
    Options
    Isn't that the way most young adults are at some point in their lives?

Having successfully raised two of them through to mid-twenties and one now at 18 they've all gone through the same phase. The running joke in our house is: Where are you going? Out. When will you be back? Later. Who are you going with? Friends. The exact same things we said to our parents 30+ years ago!!

I don't think there's anything 'sad' or abnormal about young adults wanting a life independent from their parents and exercising their power to not share every detail with them.

Well I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. He lives his own life but does come and ask if he has a problem. The ticket sale worked out okay by the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure