PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp Duty Calculator and Q&A discussion

Options

Comments

• Tobyagoode
    Options
    I recently sold my principal residence in which my girl freind (partner) also resided.
    She had rented out her own house for the last 3 years.
    We jointly and equally purchased a new home and it was thought necessary to pay the extra 3% stamp duty because to date she has not sold her house. Ion more recent reading of tax news i now enquire as to whether we unnecessarily paid the 3% and are elligible to claim it back
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    She became joint owner of the new property. She already owns a property and now owns 2.

Additional SDLT is due.

Use the SDLT calculator to work out how much tax you’ll pay.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tobyagoode wrote: »
    I recently sold my principal residence in which my girl freind (partner) also resided.
    She had rented out her own house for the last 3 years.
    We jointly and equally purchased a new home and it was thought necessary to pay the extra 3% stamp duty because to date she has not sold her house. Ion more recent reading of tax news i now enquire as to whether we unnecessarily paid the 3% and are elligible to claim it back
    don't know what you read, but the guidance is very clear when you read it. She is now the owner of 2 properties and was therefore correctly liable for the higher rate when "you" jointly purchased her additional property, given it is a tax on the purchase of ... an additional residential property
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/stamp-duty-land-tax-buying-an-additional-residential-property

the property she continues to own was not her main residence for at least the previous 3 years given it was let in that period. (I assume "partner" means you are not married, so are not classed as "one unit" for the purposes of main residence anyway?)

therefore she fails the test of being able to sell her previous main residence, after purchasing a new main residence, BUT within 3 years of the sold property last being used by her as a main residence (read para 3.25)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/stamp-duty-land-tax-higher-rates-for-purchases-of-additional-residential-properties
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The link in this article to the "old stamp duty calculator" doesn't work anymore
    poppy10
  • Sacarsium
    Options
    RichardDr wrote: »
    Hi, I am selling my house (£240k) and my mothers house (£260k)which is in my name and my sisters, the issue I have is we are buying a house for £340k and there may be an amount of time ( a month or two) before mother house is sold, can anyone advise how I stand regarding stamp duty liabilities in this situation?

Hopefully by know you've found this out but just in case you haven't.
    Stamp duty is all down to how much you're buying the property for so whether you sell 1 before the other shouldn't matter. The only caveat I would add is, if the plan is to buy the new house before both are sold then you may be subject to the higher stamp duty rate as it could count as a 2nd home.
  • DomLewis24
    DomLewis24 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 29 November 2017 at 8:31PM
    Options
    Hi,

I am in the processes of buying a house, I am a first time buyer but my wife is not. Do we still have to pay for Stamp Duty??
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    DomLewis24 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am in the processes of buying a house, I am a first time buyer but my wife is not. Do we still have to pay for Stamp Duty??
    You do if you are buying the house together, yes.
  • erki
    Options
    Hello,

I have just bought a flat in London for £400k (my first property), with a completion date of 14th November. I have not yet paid the stamp duty as I wanted to see what the new budget announcement would say.

Since the new rules are "effective immediately" does that mean I can pay the stamp duty according to the new rules? (and save £5k) Or am I stuck since my completion date is before 22nd November?

If I'm bound by the completion date, is there a way to amend the completion date (with the permission/agreement of the seller of course)?

Cheers
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 December 2017 at 1:44PM
    Options
    erki wrote: »
    Hello,

I have just bought a flat in London for £400k (my first property), with a completion date of 14th November. I have not yet paid the stamp duty as I wanted to see what the new budget announcement would say.

Since the new rules are "effective immediately" does that mean I can pay the stamp duty according to the new rules? (and save £5k) Or am I stuck since my completion date is before 22nd November?

If I'm bound by the completion date, is there a way to amend the completion date (with the permission/agreement of the seller of course)?

Cheers
    do you understand the difference between exchange date and completion date?

the liability for SDLT is on the completion date, not the exchange date
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/stamp-duty-land-tax-manual/sdltm07600

if you needed a mortgage to purchase the property then your conveyancer would require the cash to cover the SDLT to be in their hands before you completed. So when you say you have not yet paid it that suggests you have merely exchanged, rather than completed?

if you do not need a mortgage and have genuinely completed on 14th Nov then you need to get a move on as you have 30 days in which to pay the SDLT. As per the link in my previous post, the rules are applicable from 22nd Nov. The word used is "from", that does not mean backdated to 14th Nov because that is what you'd prefer it to mean.

if you have merely exchanged on the 14th, and thus not yet completed, then yes, the new rule means you will not pay SDLT if a 400k property is "in" London
  • erki
    Options
    Thanks.

Yes, we exchanged contracts a few days before the 14th, and completed on the 14th. Yes I have a mortgage. I also proved that I have enough money to pay the old stamp duty amounts. I was aware I have 30 days to pay stamp duty, which is why I didn't pay immediately just in case there was a favourable rule change!

So, i have completed, but not paid stamp duty yet. My main query is, in order for me to pay the new stamp duty, does the completion date have to be after 22nd Nov, or do I simply have to be paying the stamp duty after the 22nd?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback