Icesave/Kaupthing - is Martin to blame?

Options

Comments

• Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yep let's hang him :D and then Lara will be mine :j :j

Seriously though, even though Martin gave advice it's ultimately YOUR decision weather to invest or not.
  • Captain_Mainwaring_2
    Options
    Good God. Martin this and Martin that. OK, the guy knows exactly how to wheedly money back (I've never won here because I don't f**k over my credit card company or have bank charges).

The downside is that "normal" worthy account holders will pay the price for all of these reclaiming tactics.

Would I listen to him on choice of bank accounts? Absolutely not, I'd rather listen to that berk with the bow-tie, Erqhart-Stewart or some such thing.

If you put Mr Lewis on a podium, feel free to knock him off, but I personally did not, and whilst I enjoy reading the opinions here and generally upsetting people, I don't feel obliged to start licking his boots.
  • ventureuk
    ventureuk Posts: 354 Forumite
    Options
    Tom_Jones wrote: »
    Yep let's hang him :D and then Lara will be mine :j :j

Seriously though, even though Martin gave advice it's ultimately YOUR decision weather to invest or not.

Only invest in the 'weather' for a rainy day ;)
  • Stavros_3
    Stavros_3 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    31May2008 wrote: »
    People on this forum have been badly advised.
    Did you know that he's also responsible for the following:-
    1) Failing to find weapons of Mass destruction in Iraq
    2)The great recession in the 30's
    3) Demoting Lewis Hamilton from 1st to 3rd in a recent F1 race
    4) Throwing an egg at John Prescott
    5) Causing the san Andreas fault in California

They might be ridiculous, but you started it
    Liquidity is when you look at your investment portfolio and **** your pants
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    Options
    Stavros wrote: »
    Did you know that he's also responsible for the following:-
    [...]4) Throwing an egg at John Prescott[...]

If that's true, I applaud him even more than I did before! :D
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    I assume all the price comparison sites that said "this is a good rate why not have it" are to blame too?

Ridiculous post.
  • Ximian
    Ximian Posts: 711 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I lost my internet connection for a minute last night .... Martin is to blame.

No one on this site is to blame, suggestions and advice are provided and it's up to the individual to either follow that advice or not, no one held any guns to anyone's head and forced decisions. No one knew that we would be in the exact financial situation we're currently in at the moment. A few months ago some "experts" were predicting that the UK would suffer a "mild depression".

Keep in mind that MSE isn't the one and only site that provides financial advice on best buys and other financial related advice. I've seen other websites that have had Icesave and ING (in the past) as best savings accounts. After doing my own research I too saved money with Icesave and still have money in Icesave, I'm not happy about the current state of Iceland and Icesave but I know that it was my own decision to save in that bank and I'm certainly going to blame Martin.
  • altocumulus
    Options
    I blame Martin for my not winning anything on the football pools...

Oh - hang on - I don't do them....

btw, interest rates on Premium Bonds have decreased today ...
  • holloholloway
    Options
    31May2008 wrote: »
    This is an excellent site with many helpful ideas but it has really come a cropper after recommending the deposit of savings in Iceland banks kaupthing and icesave.

From martin's blog back in April after newspaper articles raised concerns about icesave:

"Therefore, where Icesave is a best buy, it remains a best buy. If I were to arbitrarily pick accounts not to include, then articles wouldn’t be accurate, where do you draw the line? This site is about listing highest interest rates to save people money… to get in the ‘picking the dodgy bank’ game - is an impossible task."

If you can't pick out the 'dodgy bank' even after the mainstream press are onto it then you're no money saving 'expert'.

How many people had even heard of kaupthing or icesave before seeking advice here on moneysavingexpert.com ?

It's no consolation to tell people who can't withdraw their cash today that their money is 'safe'.

People on this forum have been badly advised.

Sorry to be ungrateful and the one to point it out - I reclaimed a couple of thousand from the banks thanks to this site.

I think a lot of people on this site blame martin for losing their money from icesave. The guy has recommended icesave for months and it regularly featured in the best savings feature. I trusted martin's advice and now i have lost a great deal of money. Thanks a lot mate.
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    Options
    I think a lot of people on this site blame martin for losing their money from icesave. The guy has recommended icesave for months and it regularly featured in the best savings feature. I trusted martin's advice and now i have lost a great deal of money. Thanks a lot mate.

I hope that you learn your lesson, and you never ask anybody anything ever again in the entire world for the rest of eternity.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure