Windows 7 - free/cheap upgrade to Windows 10?

Options

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Windows 10 is great . Your skill level must be sub par.

You should have come on here and asked for advice - you certainly wouldnt have wasted as much time as you indicate you did with microsofts droids ..

And no you didnt say it was cheap .. But if the OP is asking for a cheap solution to their problem, do you really think 'buy a mac' is sensible advice ??..

I agree with you , windows 7 was great .. But it is a bit tired now and windows 10 is a great replacement IMHO .. I am responsible for a LOT of machines, running various OS flavours ..
    Windows 10 is my favourite .. If i could change one thing, I would stop it mysteriously changing default apps back to microsofts own 'because of a problem' (yeah right) now and again ..

But that is no biggy, just an annoyance
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can't work out why some get so upset with Windows 10. It is not perfect and there have been some problems especially with updates however I suspect there are some who have forgotten what Win 7 could do or not do and in any event there comes a time when technology moves on. You can ignore it but any computer attached to the internet after early 2020 running Win 7 will be more at risk than before and this will get worse as time goes on. In due course some new peripherals may not have the appropriate drivers to make them work/work at their best.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    DonnySaver wrote: »
    Who said it was cheap? I didn't say that. I said "if you can afford it".

Windows 10 has caused me hours of pain since I upgraded to it. Had at least 2 very lengthy sessions with MS to try and fix stuff that Windows 10 updates caused. Ended up totally re-installing Windows each time.

Problems with Windows 7 machine = None.

I would NEVER buy another MS machine again. IF I could it afford I would buy a Mac....but I can't so I'm stuck with my crap Windows 10 machine for now.

You do realise macs are pc's as well don't you? If 10 is so bad assuming you have compatable hardware put 7 or 8 on it.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have upgraded 10 family machines to W10, from XP, Vista and W7, with very few problems. 6 of these machines are from 2007- 10 so hardly the latest.
  • randm
    randm Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have a similar question, i went from xp, to windows 7, so our pc is quite old, microsoft is not recommending loading windows 10 onto an old computer but says it is better on a new pc, is this just a marketing ploy??. i mainly use tablet for surfing and gaming but ethernet pc for buying/personal information stuff etc for security.
    also, i have read the above replies, can i ask what you do with the ssd. are you saying to load windows 10 onto that and then from there onto the pc??? sorry, really not a techie person.(i am presuming that a ssd is a usb data key thingumyjig). we do have an external harddrive.
    thanks for your help.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    randm wrote: »
    i have a similar question, i went from xp, to windows 7, so our pc is quite old, microsoft is not recommending loading windows 10 onto an old computer but says it is better on a new pc, is this just a marketing ploy??. i mainly use tablet for surfing and gaming but ethernet pc for buying/personal information stuff etc for security.
    also, i have read the above replies, can i ask what you do with the ssd. are you saying to load windows 10 onto that and then from there onto the pc??? sorry, really not a techie person.(i am presuming that a ssd is a usb data key thingumyjig). we do have an external harddrive.
    thanks for your help.

You fit or swap your old HDD for an SSD(costing as little as £17) and then install Windows 10 to it.

What brand name and model your PC?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DonnySaver wrote: »
    Who said it was cheap? I didn't say that. I said "if you can afford it".

Windows 10 has caused me hours of pain since I upgraded to it. Had at least 2 very lengthy sessions with MS to try and fix stuff that Windows 10 updates caused. Ended up totally re-installing Windows each time.

Problems with Windows 7 machine = None.

I would NEVER buy another MS machine again. IF I could it afford I would buy a Mac....but I can't so I'm stuck with my crap Windows 10 machine for now.

Installed 8 &10 on multiple machines from 7.
    no issues and shown little love or maintenance
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    An SSD is a replacement for your internal hard drive.

It stands for Solid State Drive, there are no moving parts, only microchips
    They are much much faster than conventional hard drives
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Windows 10 is fine with classic start menu installed and updates blocked.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• randm
    randm Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    it's a dell dimension 5150. (what is a hdd??)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure