Can I get a settled CCJ removed from my credit file?

Options
I recieved a CCJ over a year ago which was settled at the start of this year and it has only just appeared on my credit report. I am wondering if I can get this set aside as I had no way of contacting the company (hoist portfolio holding 2 limited) that got the CCJ against me. If I had any correspondence before they applied for a CCJ I would have paid the debt. I also have another default on my credit report from the same company which I'm trying to pay off in full but cant contact them.

The reason for all of this is that I have been trying to sort out my credit rating as I was hoping to buy a house next year and this CCJ has probably scuppered any chance of that now

Any help on my predicament would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    No they won’t remove it.

You should have contested it at the time when you found out.

It will drop off 6 years from the date of issue, the same as the defaulted account.
  • LawAbiding
    LawAbiding Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why can't you contact Hoist? I contacted them recently with no issues?

And simple answer to your question, no you can't get it removed
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    No, you can't get it removed.

See a whole of market mortgage broker who deals with adverse credit.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You can get this removed

Read up on "set aside by consent"

Will cost a court fee (£100)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,937 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yes, as above, if the claimant agree`s to a consent order, then its a simple process.

If you have already paid the amount of the judgment, there is very little incentive for the claimant to co-operate with you.

However, the claimant may consent anyway as a gesture of good will.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • xlnc99
    xlnc99 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    IS the above true?

Can you contact the claimant and get the CCJ removed? Do they have the power to remove the CCJ even if its 2 years after? etc
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    xlnc99 wrote: »
    IS the above true?

Can you contact the claimant and get the CCJ removed? Do they have the power to remove the CCJ even if its 2 years after? etc
    They don't remove, the court does. You are applying for a set aside consent order where the claimant is okay for the CCJ to be removed. They don't normally, can't see why they would, after all they applied for it because you haven't paid a debt.

Often its because there is an issue, e.g. realised they had sent claims to wrong adress etc
  • xlnc99
    Options
    oh i see, thanks for clarifying. I read a few threads that have shown they managed to get them set aside by signing a consent form with the claimant. Might be worth a go. I guess you could say you never received the judgement or you were out the country etc. As long as both parties sign and agree the form then its worth a go. I mean its not recorded delivery so post is easily lost.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But usually they won't. Doubt the lost in the post argument will work, I was more meaning they realised they did not do due diligence and are willing for a consent order rather than the more expensive full set aside. Not receiving it, been out of the country away on holiday etc probably isn't enough unless the claimant is wanting to do it as goodwill, often the dig debt collection agencies don't though, since it can look bad.
  • xlnc99
    Options
    Whats the difference between a consent order and full set aside? My understanding is:

A consent order is both parties agree to waive the CCJ (up to the court for final decision)
    A set aside is the defendant arguing the judgement is unfairly on the record due to a number of reasons and the defendant goes through court to get this removed

Is that correct? Also what would look bad on the claimant, its not going to go on any record is it. The debt company just want their money or is there something else
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure