Working the numbers 2019 style

Options

Comments

• mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    2100 steps - WFH so no walk into the office - will be a few more later walking down to the pub
    LSD - will cost £10 in the pub tonight (for a kitty type thing)
    not veggie - that's 0 for 10
    not AF - far from it I hope

Clean/fix - dish wash but nothing extra - may have fixed poor wifi signal by moving stuff around, and removing various gadgets from nearby to the router
    save/make - sent my son's complaint letter to santanddec, which hopefully will be £130 odd quid. Saved my OH some money on cinema tickets using my work vouchers

been a busy week. payday getting achingly close
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • Yellow_mango
    Yellow_mango Posts: 450 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi - thanks for stopping by on my diary! I’ve been lurking on yours for a while - you seem to have everything pretty much under control so I never really have anything to add! I could really do with adding some clean / junk / sell goals myself though, so I might steal that idea!
  • mark55man
    Options
    thanks y_m - I am not sure I am completely in control- but compared to where I was - definitely stronger, even though we have had challenges with DS2 health which has meant OH hasn't worked full time for ages

like you the challenge is in not regretting having a HRT salary - its making sure its put to good use - like a fire house most is going on target or at least roughly in the right direction but the amount that gets wasted is still significant - especially when compared against what you might need in retirement or at least a frugal lifestyle
  • mark55man
    Options
    10200 steps today - good start with a 5000 step walk to town and back
    HSD - shopping,plus went to see open air production of MidSummer's night dream, which was £50 for the both of us including our picnic
    not veggie - DS2 wanted gammon for lunch and I thought he had a point

clean/fix something - sorted out DD2 stuff for her new flat out of our surplus!!- fixed new doorbell and replaced the BT phone which after 5 years had stopped holding charge

save/make - free coffee from waitrose - that'll do

tomorrow will be busy as DD2 moved into her new flat yesterday, and I need to go down and help build everything - then we will have a start of year meal and grocery shop
  • mark55man
    Options
    Technically its Monday - but this will count as my Sunday post. trying to post daily

Steps - 13010 - a seaside day
    VHSD - getting DD2 sorted in her new flat - involved a 100 mile trip, some furniture, and a shop
    Nearly AF but ended up in pub as it was lovely seaside day and it had a well recommended garden

clean - cleared out DD2 old flat (but she has time to go back and deep clean)
    save - super frugal driving. I may get an extra 25 miles from this tank, over and above what I was already getting. Not a day where savings were getting much attention
    make something - new flatpack bed, new flatpack chest of drawers, two clothes racks, a tv stand and bedside drawers
  • mark55man
    Options
    Monday report

4500 steps - sat around a desk with colleagues
    HSD - buying some stuff for a surprise party - mainly a couple of nice bottles of wine and some snacks - really not MSE but its been full on this weekend so ran out of DIY time. 3 HSD in a row - could be tight
    no alcohol today
    not veggie - a YS cooked chicken caught my eye at the supermarket

clean/fix - sorted out some old toddler books into boxes, now need to get rid of them - also regular dishwash and put away some stuff that the kids used for cooking

save/make -drove 30 miles on a whisper of fuel to get to the petrol station near work which is 8p a litre cheaper- this meant my tankful did 525 miles or about 41mpg

Early post tonight as will be having early night soon as completely knackered
  • mark55man
    edited 23 July 2019 at 9:01PM
    Options
    8300 - parked in the cheaper but more distant car park when I went into town at lunch with OH (a perk of WFH) - was slightly regretting the decision as it was scorchio on the way back
    Used the car park savings for a pint of shandy :-)so not AF
    HSD - a little shopping, £30 in superdrug on a variety of things, and a light lunch out with OH. Every now and again you get a run of more expensive days - just a peril of being busy, but it needs to be kept in check or this could be a bad month
    Not veggie again and wont be for a while as we have in-laws for a few days so probably quite traditional meals - will try harder on this

clean/fix - re-organised some of the stuff I removed from the garage and put it back in much de-cluttered
    make/save - not a lot of saving going on - although the parking was half price so I'll take that
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 23 July 2019 at 9:24PM
    Options
    Realising how few veggie days I have when I read your posts. Going for a meat free day tomorrow. Frittata and salad I think or a veggie curry despite the heat?

8,300 in this heat is impressive :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just popping in to wish you good luck on your journey.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £183,754 Equity 26.5%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £5.1K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.5K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • mark55man
    Options
    thank you DIA - can't beat a fritata - although curries are good in the heat

welcome aboard savingholmes - its nice and friendly on here, albeit mostly dull, with occasional peaks and troughs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills