Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Options

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You don't need to switch, you can just open these to run alongside your existing current account, always handy in case of aTSB, Lloyds, RBS etc meltdown

The Nationwide FlexDirect will keep you going for three months then you can look at its RS with the First Direct and Santander offerings. None of these require DDs or switching. The monthly pay in requirements are trivial and can be automated with standing orders

It's up to you, a little admin and 5% or settle for 1.35%
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 May 2018 at 3:19PM
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    You don't need to switch, you can just open these to run alongside your existing current account, always handy in case of aTSB, Lloyds, RBS etc meltdown

The Nationwide FlexDirect will keep you going for three months then you can look at its RS with the First Direct and Santander offerings. None of these require DDs or switching. The monthly pay in requirements are trivial and can be automated with standing orders

It's up to you, a little admin and 5% or settle for 1.35%
    I believe that the Santander 123 range does require direct debits and the 123 Lite also costs £1 per month. I recently downgraded from 123 to 123 lite and asked if I still needed to pay in £500 and have two direct debits to qualify for the 5% regular saver. The Santander customer services person said that these were conditions of the account so yes. However, they also said that I would need to continually miss the £500 monthly pay in to jeopardise my regular saver eligibility.

I am not sure if this also applied to the two active direct debit condition.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 May 2018 at 3:08PM
    Options
    It is the 123 Lite that costs £1 per month - not the 123 range.

The requested fee, the £500 per month, the two active DDs, the logon at least every 3 months and the residency and age criteria are all required.

That said, the DDs only need to be active, so once-a-year DDs will do.
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »
    I believe that the Santander 123 range does require direct debits and also costs £1 per month. I recently downgraded from 123 to 123 lite and asked if I still needed to pay in £500 and have two direct debits to qualify for the 5% regular saver. The Santander customer services person said that these were conditions of the account so yes. However, they also said that I would need to continually miss the £500 monthly pay in to jeopardise my regular saver eligibility.

I am not sure if this also applied to the two active direct debit condition.
    polymaff wrote: »
    It is the 123 Lite that costs £1 per month - not the full range.

The requested fee, the £500 per month, the two active DDs, the logon at least every 3 months and the residency and age criteria are all required.

That said, the DDs only need to be active, so once-a-year DDs will do.

This was discussed on the last page. :D

The terms of the 123 Lite account state you need 2 x DDs in order to receive cashback on household bills. So you can have no DDs on the Lite account and still get 5% with their regular e-saver. If you look under 'eligibility' within the products T&Cs, there is no mention of DDs being required for the 123 Lite account. The DDs are mentioned under the 'cashback' terms. Link to T&C here.

Telephone advisers for mainstream banks rarely give out correct information. There are too many products which chop and change on a regular basis so I don't blame them for not knowing all the answers.

I tend to find workers in local building societies are more accurate.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    karlie88 wrote: »
    This was discussed on the last page. :D

Telephone advisers for mainstream banks rarely give out correct information. There are too many products which chop and change on a regular basis so I don't blame them for not knowing all the answers.

Oh yes, it was previously discussed and while I did read it a few days ago I had forgotten that it was on this thread. :)

I do though think that it is a bit strong to say that telephone advisers for mainstream banks rarely give out correct information.
  • polymaff
    Options
    If you look under 'eligibility' within the products T&Cs, there is no mention of DDs being required for the 123 Lite account.

But there is here

Not a big issue as such DD mandates are two-a-penny. :)
  • karlie88
    Options
    What a fantastic week.

The Royal wedding, Chelsea winning the FA Cup and the launch of TWO competitive regular savers this week.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • karlie88
    Options
    polymaff wrote: »
    But there is here

Not a big issue as such DD mandates are two-a-penny. :)

Agree with you there.

But I go by the product terms in a PDF. :p Plus the fact that it works fine with no DDs.
  • polymaff
    Options

Sort-of agree - although they are both pretty dire - and are always so sure that they're right!

Mind you, they are significantly better than HMRC - ask n agents, get n+1 opinions.

Best one recently was NS&I who insisted that the "arising" date for interest was when they calculate it, not when the interest is due. So sure, that they agreed to - and did - put it in writing.

Another one for the, bulging, rogues' gallery. :)
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    And it isn't operated online - only post or branch according to
    http://www.chorleybs.co.uk/Files/rc1/rsa.pdf#zoom=auto

"The Society's products can be opened and managed in branch or by post, please refer to the Society's Savings Accounts Terms and Conditions."

Identification -Before opening an account at the Society all customers must fulfil the requirements of the Society's identification criteria. The Society will undertake an electronic identification through its chosen credit agency. The Society reserves the right to request original documentary proof to support an application where necessary

3 questions - does anyone think its better to pre-empt and send your ID copes with your application eg passport copy and some proof of address - rather than having your application delayed?
    Even if you already have a Chorley account?

Also will having one ongoing Chorley regular saver stop you having the 2nd new version?

I already view my Chorley RS online so even though it just says branch or post for the new versions will they also appear in your list of accounts?
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure