Rights regarding a car service?

Options

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Let me get this right you want to force Halfords to do work they are not capable or competent to do?

Would you force a surgeon to do heart surgery on you when he told you he didn't know how?
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OP - your question was answered in the first post. Now you are coming out with ridiculous non- existant rights and frankly looking silly.

Take your refund and go to a proper garage.
  • Horlock
    Horlock Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2018 at 6:42PM
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    Let me get this right you want to force Halfords to do work they are not capable or competent to do?

Would you force a surgeon to do heart surgery on you when he told you he didn't know how?

Q1 Not quite sure
    Q2 Definitely not - but I would certainly want to know what my rights were - if a surgeon had taken payment for heart surgery and then told me he didn't know how to do it!

I'm still only asking what my rights are. I'm certainly not convinced that the people who are answering actually know any more than I do. They may well have a different opinion - but the only person who has quoted on actual consumer rights is me.

I'm not saying I would exercise my rights - I would just like to know exactly what they are.

Equally I'm not objecting to anyone who doesn't know, contributing or giving an opinion - including that I am mad to even bother trying to work out what my rights are for such a trivial matter.

Ultimately, as things stand, I've been inconvenienced, I'm out of pocket and my car is not fixed leaving me doing the good old highway code hand gestures until I can get a day off work when a garage is open or sufficient time to try taking a bumper off my car. I haven't said that Halford's are responsible - I'm simply asking if anyone actually knows - rather than responding "of course not why would they".

In my opinion most consumer rights, and even some human rights aren't necessarily very sensible, but it doesn't change the fact that they exist. I can grumble about them, I can discuss them, I can argue about them, I can probably even say they are wrong - since free speech is one of them. I was just hoping that there was an expert reading the forum. Rather than just people wanting to join in a discussion.

I hasten to add - Thank you to rainbowgirl - I'm not insinuating that rainbowgirl in any way agrees with my suggestions but thank you for trying to help. Although it hasn't answered my question it was certainly helpful, and might have solved my problem. Potentially I just need a haynes manual. I may have missed some way of removing the headlight enclosure once the air filter box had been removed - unfortunately although removing the air filter box does give a lot more access (and so changing a headlight etc would be easy without it) the indicator cannot be accessed as the wing itself is in the way.
    There is no intelligent life out there ... ask any goldfish!
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,523 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Horlock wrote: »
    Q1 Not quite sure
    Q2 Definitely not - but I would certainly want to know what my rights were - if a surgeon had taken payment for heart surgery and then told me he didn't know how to do it!

I'm still only asking what my rights are. I'm certainly not convinced that the people who are answering actually know any more than I do. They may well have a different opinion - but the only person who has quoted on actual consumer rights is me.

I'm not saying I would exercise my rights - I would just like to know exactly what they are.

Equally I'm not objecting to anyone who doesn't know, contributing or giving an opinion - including that I am mad to even bother trying to work out what my rights are for such a trivial matter.

Ultimately, as things stand, I've been inconvenienced, I'm out of pocket and my car is not fixed leaving me doing the good old highway code hand gestures until I can get a day off work when a garage is open or sufficient time to try taking a bumper off my car. I haven't said that Halford's are responsible - I'm simply asking if anyone actually knows - rather than responding "of course not why would they".

In my opinion most consumer rights, and even some human rights aren't necessarily very sensible, but it doesn't change the fact that they exist. I can grumble about them, I can discuss them, I can argue about them, I can probably even say they are wrong - since free speech is one of them. I was just hoping that there was an expert reading the forum. Rather than just people wanting to join in a discussion.

You are entitled to a refund under your consumer rights.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You are entitled to be returned to the position you were in before the contract was formed.

In other words a none working bulb and the money back in your pocket. You cannot force someone to do work they are not able to do.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Options
    Horlock wrote: »
    I just paid Halfords for a replacement indicator bulb to be replaced. They said it would take a little while but that I was free to leave and come back.
    When I returned I had a message on the car to say that fixing the indicator bulb was too difficult for them, but that I could come back into the store for a refund.
    I don't want a refund I want a working indicator.
    I've come away without the refund - because I want to check what my consumer rights are first. I gave the number plate of the car before ordering anything, the member of staff came out and checked the car before I paid for the service, I accepted a quote for the work and then I paid for the service, I have a receipt for the service, there is no small print on the receipt to say that they can change their minds - because it is difficult.
    I knew it was difficult before taking it in (which is why I was willing to pay for it - I believe that the process involves taking the bumper off the car - ridiculous I know - its a Vauxhall Vectra).
    Is there anyone who knows whether Halfords have an legal obligations to deliver the service or pay for me to get the service done by anyone else?

So you knew it was a nightmare to do before you took it in but thought you'd chance your arm with their fitting service and get it done cheaper than the hourly labour rate of a garage, but are now a bit miffed because they wont spend hours working at it for £8?

From their website "Please be aware that all fittings are subject to pre-inspection in-store."

http://www.halfords.com/advice/motoring/service/halfords-car-bulb-fitting-service
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Options
    I would have asked if there was anyone else there who could do it, just a thought.
  • Horlock
    Horlock Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2018 at 7:08PM
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    So you knew it was a nightmare to do before you took it in but thought you'd chance your arm with their fitting service and get it done cheaper than the hourly labour rate of a garage, but are now a bit miffed because they wont spend hours working at it for £8?

From their website "Please be aware that all fittings are subject to pre-inspection in-store."

http://www.halfords.com/advice/motoring/service/halfords-car-bulb-fitting-service

I believed it was a nightmare to do - yes because I had tried myself. I even told them that it was tricky. But then again, just because someone who isn't used to changing bulbs finds it tricky doesn't mean that someone who is would have to find it tricky. I still don't know how vauxhall do the job - I only knew that other people had found it difficult. A Vauxhall Vectra is hardly a rare car - do you really think I'm the first person to take a Vauxhall Vectra in to get a bulb replaced? Surely if a car is that common and the fault is as common as a bulb, and I'm going to the local "expert" who changes bulbs they should know if they can't do it either before they start or after they do an initial inspection of the vehicle.

"Please be aware that all fittings are subject to pre-inspection in-store."

Very useful point. As they did a pre-inspection and still agreed to do the work - I had not noticed that point in terms and conditions as I went into the store.

Thanks for the link.
    There is no intelligent life out there ... ask any goldfish!
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Options
    You're still not getting it......but good luck clutching at them straws
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Horlock to heart surgeon.
    You took my money and then tell me you cant do the surgery?
    Surgeon, yes Im afraid so. I wish to refund your money and allow you to find someone able to do the surgery.
    Horlock,No I demand you do the work I contracted you to do and agreed to.
    Surgeon,ah well,I'll give it a go (Insert Dr Pepper whats the worst that could happen music)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure