Rights regarding a car service?

Options
Horlock
Horlock Posts: 1,027 Forumite
I just paid Halfords for a replacement indicator bulb to be replaced. They said it would take a little while but that I was free to leave and come back.
When I returned I had a message on the car to say that fixing the indicator bulb was too difficult for them, but that I could come back into the store for a refund.
I don't want a refund I want a working indicator.
I've come away without the refund - because I want to check what my consumer rights are first. I gave the number plate of the car before ordering anything, the member of staff came out and checked the car before I paid for the service, I accepted a quote for the work and then I paid for the service, I have a receipt for the service, there is no small print on the receipt to say that they can change their minds - because it is difficult.
I knew it was difficult before taking it in (which is why I was willing to pay for it - I believe that the process involves taking the bumper off the car - ridiculous I know - its a Vauxhall Vectra).
Is there anyone who knows whether Halfords have an legal obligations to deliver the service or pay for me to get the service done by anyone else?
There is no intelligent life out there ... ask any goldfish!

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Horlock wrote: »
    I just paid Halfords for a replacement indicator bulb to be replaced. They said it would take a little while but that I was free to leave and come back.
    When I returned I had a message on the car to say that fixing the indicator bulb was too difficult for them, but that I could come back into the store for a refund.
    I don't want a refund I want a working indicator.
    I've come away without the refund - because I want to check what my consumer rights are first. I gave the number plate of the car before ordering anything, the member of staff came out and checked the car before I paid for the service, I accepted a quote for the work and then I paid for the service, I have a receipt for the service, there is no small print on the receipt to say that they can change their minds - because it is difficult.
    I knew it was difficult before taking it in (which is why I was willing to pay for it - I believe that the process involves taking the bumper off the car - ridiculous I know - its a Vauxhall Vectra).
    Is there anyone who knows whether Halfords have an legal obligations to deliver the service or pay for me to get the service done by anyone else?
    No and no. If they don't want to tackle it, that's better than trying and causing damage. Why would they pay for you to get it done somewhere else?
  • Rainbowgirl84
    Rainbowgirl84 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From a Vauxhall forum:-

on n/s the washer bottle filler is snap fit. but if you look at the top there is a small push clip holding it to the front of the car. unclip this then twist - pull the filler and out she comes........

on o/s i just take the air box out. 5 mins and its done. whilst you're there you could do the air box mod and change your air filter.

save time and money.....

no need to undo bumper unless you fancy doing something to a/c , intercooler or radiator
  • Horlock
    edited 19 May 2018 at 5:16PM
    Options
    Why would they pay for you to get it done somewhere else?

The reason would be the same reason that if you order an item and the supplier then fails to deliver the goods you are entitled to receive the goods by another means at the seller's expense - ie consumer rights.

Eg if they sold me an indicator bulb but then didn't have one in stock and then decided not to restock the item then they would be obliged to pay for me to get said indicator bulb from another stockist - ie consumer rights.

I didn't say that consumer rights exist for this - I asked the question? You seem confident of your answers but on what grounds? I'm not trying to say that you are wrong - I'm just asking the question.
  • Horlock
    Options
    https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?38698-Front-Indicator-Bulbs/page2

seems to simply say the best thing to do is buy a ford!
  • Horlock
    Options
    From a Vauxhall forum:-

on n/s the washer bottle filler is snap fit. but if you look at the top there is a small push clip holding it to the front of the car. unclip this then twist - pull the filler and out she comes........

on o/s i just take the air box out. 5 mins and its done. whilst you're there you could do the air box mod and change your air filter.

save time and money.....

no need to undo bumper unless you fancy doing something to a/c , intercooler or radiator

Thank very much. I removed the air box last weekend but that in and of itself is insufficient - that was when I started googling it and discovered how much pain seemed to be involved for such a trivial and thing - see above link.

Absolutely crazy I know, but also why I was happy to pay halfords to do the work for me. I'm not convinced by the air box thing - (it is driver side) - could you just point me at that link though it might be helpful.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they can't do it, they can't do it. Take the refund and get it done somewhere else.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quite simply,stop bumping on about consumer rights and pay a garage to do it.
    Halfords have staff with little training to do basic bulbs,wipers etc.
  • Horlock
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Quite simply,stop bumping on about consumer rights and pay a garage to do it.
    Halfords have staff with little training to do basic bulbs,wipers etc.

Why?

You seem to be missing the point. This is a consumer rights thread - if you don't want to talk about consumer rights then don't join in.

Consumer rights require

If a service isn't provided 'with reasonable care and skill' or 'as agreed', the provider must bring it into line with what was agreed with the customer. If this isn't practical, such as when a haircut's too short, they must give some money back.
    END QUOTE

I fully understand that the majority of people would follow your advice to a t. Just like the majority of people don't complain if a service is below standard. The majority of people who were missold PPI haven't even bothered claiming for it. My question wasn't "what would most people do in the circumstances?" my question was what are my consumer rights?

Obviously if you don't know, you don't need to reply, similarly if you do know and don't want to reply you don't have to, ultimately if you don't know and want to reply you are free to - but telling me not to ask a question in a consumer rights thread seems a little odd.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The reason would be the same reason that if you order an item and the supplier then fails to deliver the goods you are entitled to receive the goods by another means at the seller's expense - ie consumer rights.

Wrong.
    99.9% of online contracts are formed when the item is dispatched.

Eg if they sold me an indicator bulb but then didn't have one in stock and then decided not to restock the item then they would be obliged to pay for me to get said indicator bulb from another stockist - ie consumer rights.

Wrong again. They would simply refund/

I didn't say that consumer rights exist for this - I asked the question? You seem confident of your answers but on what grounds? I'm not trying to say that you are wrong - I'm just asking the question.

I'm very interested as to where you learnt all the above from?!
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why?

You seem to be missing the point. This is a consumer rights thread - if you don't want to talk about consumer rights then don't join in.

Consumer rights require

If a service isn't provided 'with reasonable care and skill' or 'as agreed', the provider must bring it into line with what was agreed with the customer. If this isn't practical, such as when a haircut's too short, they must give some money back.
    END QUOTE

I fully understand that the majority of people would follow your advice to a t. Just like the majority of people don't complain if a service is below standard. The majority of people who were missold PPI haven't even bothered claiming for it. My question wasn't "what would most people do in the circumstances?" my question was what are my consumer rights?

Obviously if you don't know, you don't need to reply, similarly if you do know and don't want to reply you don't have to, ultimately if you don't know and want to reply you are free to - but telling me not to ask a question in a consumer rights thread seems a little odd.

So since you dont like my advice.
    Which consumer rights law will you be exercising to force Halfords to carry out the repair for the agreed price?
    In the mean time whilst exercising this 'right',what will you do for transport?

As for raising PPI,it holds no relation here and I would hazard 'most' knew fine but see a chance to claim some money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure