Help Me Im Having a bad day

Options

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Keep your CCCS client reference number next to the phone. Just give this to your creditors when they call - they will soon stop.

Barring a magic solution, such as the ones you are hoping for, your only options are the DMP or bankruptcy. Have you discussed bankruptcy with the CCCS?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • HELP_4
    HELP_4 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys for listening. How do you get through your days........I think we should have some kind of world fund to help people in debt. I blame the credit companies for raising our credit limits, I have several cards(no longer) and they had redit limits of £25,000. That is ridiculous. They push and push we had a personal banker (no more) where are they now......
  • HELP_4
    Options
    CCCS did discuss Bankruptcy but we decided against it as for one it goes in the local paper for all to see, 2) They remove assetts which they think may be sellable, 3) You have to tell your landlord etc and I know that after 5 years it will all be over, but I am strong enough to do it. What happens after the 5 years, all debts cleared and can get a mortgage again ( it sound too simple) will our lives be invaded by assessors.....
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure what your family's reaction would be but would it help to tell them the situation? I'm not saying give them the full details but just the bare bones?

At least that way, you won't have to pretend with them anymore and to be honest it does sound as if the strain of pretending everything is ok is getting to you more than you think? I guess sometimes not being able to talk about a worrying situation is a strain in itself.

You can reassure them that you and your husband are taking steps to rectify the situation even if it does end in you becoming bankrupt..and don't worry about it being in the paper....nobody is sad enough to read those notices anyway.

Have a big cyber hug.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • Nasnowt
    Nasnowt Posts: 2,743 Forumite
    Options
    Help, have you seen your doctor? Might be an idea to go along and explain your having a very rough time just now. Half decent doctors can be very helpful.
    :wave: In my new basket: A slightly whiffy blanket; Racy’s 2nd favorite jumper; remains of a slipper; 2 sticks (1 chewed); bouncy ball collection (4); Racy’s iPod :shhh: and a large sock (found under Racy's bed) :confused:

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    HELP

You presumably now have a budget, which you have agreed with the CCCS. Remember, that this is the maximum amount you spend on each item - not the minimum ;)

Is there anywhere in your budget where you could make small savings? If so, stick these away in a savings account. They will either help for emergencies or give you & the kids a small treat now and then. Or you could save for the bankruptcy fee. I don't want to ram bankruptcy down your throat, but it is one way of getting your debts written off. And if you have no assets, you have nothing to lose. Your credit record will be shot for 6 years ... but it sounds shot anyway. 39 years to pay off your debts sounds unmanageable to me. You may have made some mistakes, financially, but you shouldn't have to spend the next 39 years paying for them.

And if you do stay in the DMP for 39 years, how will you live in retirement? Will you be able to save or invest in a pension at the same time?

Give it all some thought ...

Come back and let us know how you're getting on.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • HELP_4
    Options
    I haven't discussed this with our Dr. yet as I have already had too much time off work and amon a warning so I have to keep plugging along. I am becoming an addict to this site already. You dont know how it feels to be able to discuss this ( well you probably do). I wish I could start over, I wish I hadnt been too greedy and had that new kitchen on credit and windows and that I had just made do. I havelost our lovely family home and our chldrens security. I hope I am around in 39 yrs. has anyone ever had a debt written off or know what happens after 5 yrs on a Debt M Plan....
  • JasonW_2
    JasonW_2 Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    HELP, dont worry about posting any details, cos remember nobody on here knows who you are or where you live. There is no way for anyone to know as long as you are careful with the info you give. The more info you do give though, the quicker and easier people will get an idea of your full situation, and will not suggest things that you have already given reasons for that arent practical.

Hope you get a way that suits you all to get out of this debt soon. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and try to focus on this, and not lay blame at anybody or make things harder for yourselves but trying to turn back time. You cant do this, and this energy is non-productive, so please, dont beat yourself up any more. Of course you want to put on a brave face for your kids, but you cannot keep bottling it all up and maybe this way, your kids will learn how bad debt is, and how easy it is to let it happen, and how hard it is to get out off. I should be out of debt soon, but there are times when Ive just wanted to give up completely.

Good luck :)
  • mattp_3
    mattp_3 Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    It's a bit of a common misconception that "big men will come and take all my furniture if I go bankrupt" - having spoken to a local Official Receiver who told me that anything less than £1,000 is just not worth taking from a property - by the time they have removed it, auctioned it and taken out the fees there would be nothing to put into the "pot".

So unless you have a house full of antiques or specific high-value items - they are not even going to be interested in additional assets.

Many people have spoken on this forum and also Debt Questions (https://www.debtquestions.co.uk) and Debt Help Uk (https://www.debthelpuk.co.uk) about their experiences of going Bankrupt and many people have sung the praises for the Court Services in their professional manner.

On the local paper front - how many people have seen bankruptcy declarations as there isn't even an area for it in our local paper???

Might be worth checking yours, you never know it might never be published??
  • Nasnowt
    Nasnowt Posts: 2,743 Forumite
    Options
    What JasonW says is very good advice.

Re having too much time off work and being on a warning, then you def need to see the doc. You sound stressed to the extreme and they can help with that. Bet your not sleeping are you? Pick up the phone and make an appointment.
    :wave: In my new basket: A slightly whiffy blanket; Racy’s 2nd favorite jumper; remains of a slipper; 2 sticks (1 chewed); bouncy ball collection (4); Racy’s iPod :shhh: and a large sock (found under Racy's bed) :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure