Stupid Andrex adverts

I've just been subjected to another one of those stupid Andrex adverts where they ask small children to describe 'how clean they feel' after using Andrex toilet paper

When the kids come up with some meaningless drivel (the latest is 'as clean as a spoon in a circus' ?!) the adult, rather than point out to the kid that it's not a very appropriate analogy as a spoon in a circus is likely to be covered in elephant !!!!, just laughs as if it's the most amusing thing they've ever heard.

I dread to think what was going through the heads of advertising agency who dreamt this one up, or the Andrex bosses to whom it was pitched.

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Adverts are designed to get the product into people's minds and get them talking about the product - it's obviously worked. Not so stupid.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,785 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Adverts are designed to get the product into people's minds and get them talking about the product - it's obviously worked. Not so stupid.

No, adverts are designed to make people buy the product - and these adverts put me right off it !
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    No, adverts are designed to make people buy the product - and these adverts put me right off it !

I agree.

Does anyone actually buy that awful product VIPoo?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/3536092/brits-baffled-by-advert-airwicks-v-i-poo-spray/

'While many Twitter users have tried and tested the spray and deemed it “effective”, others have been left completely baffled by the whole thing.

One user wrote: “Did I just seriously just see a product advert named #VIPoo at 8 in the morning can't handle this”'
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,730 Forumite
    I get more annoyed by those ads for sanitary protection that imply I will be able to pay tennis/ride my bike better if I swap brands.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    swingaloo wrote: »
    I get more annoyed by those ads for sanitary protection that imply I will be able to pay tennis/ride my bike better if I swap brands.

... and that your blood will turn a worrying shade of blue.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite

Me too. However, I worked for 9 years with one of the major marketing research companies, using statistical data direct from retailer scanning and believe me, the sales figures soared for products which were heavily promoted by ghastly adverts. Picture mummy/daddy looking for loo rolls, their little darling saying "Oooh, can we have the one with the puppies?" It just works!
  • martinbsp
    martinbsp Posts: 167 Forumite
    There is no way any amount of payment is going to compensate for the ridicule and abuse those poor kids will get. I'd also question whether at their age they really know what the longer term consequences are. Imagine twenty years hence, sitting in an open plan office and someone rumbling that was you in that advert. And then there's the internet where you'll be immortalised for ever. No amount of money would have encouraged me to put my child forward for that.

Parents have a lot to answer for.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,692 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Recycling packet as waste bag recently spotted they give written directions on how to use, Mind you they also suggest moist wipe in between using paper.
  • I've just used Andrex and my botty feels as clean as a shiny ring.

I dont see a problem with telling everyone I meet
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I've just been subjected to another one of those stupid Andrex adverts where they ask small children to describe 'how clean they feel' after using Andrex toilet paper

When the kids come up with some meaningless drivel (the latest is 'as clean as a spoon in a circus' ?!) the adult, rather than point out to the kid that it's not a very appropriate analogy as a spoon in a circus is likely to be covered in elephant !!!!, just laughs as if it's the most amusing thing they've ever heard.

I dread to think what was going through the heads of advertising agency who dreamt this one up, or the Andrex bosses to whom it was pitched.

And the child who says 'as clean this cup', whereupon his 'Mum' replies 'it's got tea in'.
    And breathes a sigh of relief that the child doesn't belong to her. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport