PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A clever way to make or save a few pounds...

Options
I did a car boot sale this morning with my sister and made £50! Decide on a day to do one - they're usually held on Bank Holidays and save up your stuff to sell. It's amazing how much stuff we hoard but don't actually use. Do a sale with a friend - you then half the cost of your pitch and have fun chatting. You can also look around and see if you can pick up a few bargains. Got young babies/children, car boots tend to sell loads of children's toys and equipment.

Nic

Comments

• trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've done car boots before and they can be fun too as long as it isn't raining and you'd be surprised what you call junk and someone else calls treasure ;D ;D

Just be aware the hardened car-booters are great hagglers ;D ;D
  • hermit90_2
    hermit90_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I've been putting all our 'junk' in the loft for about a year ready to do a car boot.

How much does it cost for a pitch?

Thanks
  • trafalgar_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Depends where you go .anything fron £5 to £15 for really big car-boot venues.but the bigger ones mean more people/buyers ;D
    Some provide tables to put stuff out on , others you got to take your own
    Your local papers usually have adverts for your area ;D ;D
    On a good day you can make some really good money though................and if you don't want to take it home for the next time, drop your prices a lot near the end and get rid of as much as you can ;D

Have fun ;D
  • kittengirl
    kittengirl Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    My friend and I had a car boot sale. It cost 8.00 for a pitch and we made 190.00 the first time and around 140.00 the second time.

Use a wallpapering table or similar long table. Also a clothes rail comes in handy to hang stuff on.

OK if its a nice day.
  • arbitrajeu
    arbitrajeu Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    The flip-side of this coin is that many sellers at car boot sales don't know the value of their "junk". I have a friend who frequents our local sale and regularly picks up good quality second-hand mobile phones and car radios for a fraction of the price on ebay.

Of course, there's an outside chance the equipment's original owner didn't know it was being sold on... ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I prefer to try selling my unwanted goods in the town free ad papers.
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We're just about to do our very first car boot sale, so we're a bit worried about prices etc. Hopefully we won't mark stuff too high, but then again, we don't want to sell ourselves short. In the end, we want to get rid of all the stuff, so it's what people want to pay. Any tips?
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • trafalgar_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We're just about to do our very first car boot sale, so we're a bit worried about prices etc.  Hopefully we won't mark stuff too high, but then again, we don't want to sell ourselves short.  In the end, we want to get rid of all the stuff, so it's what people want to pay.  Any tips?
    Just mark it at what you think and be prepared for bartering .if it isn't selling you can always drop the prices ;D
  • razor-laugh
    Options
    VickyA.

One thing I have learned is your car will be crawling with the "professionals" before you have turned off the ignition. Don't sell anything until you are set-up and in control. The regulars are just trying to fluster you into giving away your best items.
    Have fun though!

Razor
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

One thing I have learned is your car will be crawling with the "professionals" before you have turned off the ignition.

Oh my god that brings back memories!! I had to do 2 carboots just to get money to buy food for me and the kids once....................if I hadn't been so desperate I'd NEVER have done them! :-[
    There are some awful 'professionals' out there, on my first one, I'd literally just opened the boot and they all dived in, rifling through and grabbing my stuff, they were so BLOODY rude!! >:( >:( >:(
    Second time though, me and the kids just sat in the car having some breakfast, and watched them crowd round the car trying to peer in to see what we had............................HA it was all covered up though!! ;D They're a weird breed :-/
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure