Another roundabout accident - my fault or 50:50?

Options
Was at a roundabout this afternoon. It's more or less a perfect roundabout, 4 exits all at 90 degrees to one another, 2 lanes all the way, etc.

I'm in the left lane waiting to turn left, there's a guy in front also waiting to turn left. The traffic is fairly light, and the guy in front is dithering a bit and missed a few opportunities to make his move. Even my aunt in the back said "what's this guy waiting for?".

Anyway, another opportunity arises, no traffic coming from the right, I watch his brake lights go off and he pulls away. I release my foot from the brake and my car starts to creep forward (it's an auto), I look to the right double checking all is clear, (getting ready to either hit the accelerator or give way) and next thing the wife is yelling "watch out" and I hit the back off the guy in front, who whilst I was looking to the right, has changed his mind about moving off after all and stopped again :mad:

Even stranger, as I go to get out of the car to make sure everything is ok, he just drives off. I am guessing he has decided his 15 year old Corsa is not worth the effort of checking.

As I said, I didn't even have my foot on the accelerator so there was no damage to my car.

So hypotethically, if there had been an insurance claim of any kind who would have been at fault? I am thinking it was probably completely my fault, but would there be any 50:50 due to the guy in front moving off and subsequently stopping for no apparent reason?

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would be 100% your fault.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    100% you.

Doesn`t make him less of a prat though.
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    Yep, I suspected as much.

I suppose the lesson learned is to always expect the unexpected when it comes to other drivers.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    Despite the other drivers dithering and random stopping I would have to agree it's your 'fault' from an insurance company view.

Being critical I would suggest if you see someone driving badly then give them a bit extra room and stay out of their way!
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    but would there be any 50:50 due to the guy in front moving off and subsequently stopping for no apparent reason?

There may have been a tortoise crossing the road, which you could not see ;)
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The answer has to be don't drive where you aren't looking. I've done it - pulling out of an unsighted car park at rush hour, going for the gap - not realising that the car going past had jammed the anchors on and had stopped just in front of me.

It is quite hard to resist, but really you need to look in front, check, look in front, move, not look in front, check, move.

In this case, clearly a driver lacking in confidence which the OP had already worked out, yet they assumed when they started driving off that they were going to be competent - there was already evidence that they weren't.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Get a dash cam for future just in case it's a try it on crash for cash type
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Get a dash cam for future just in case it's a try it on crash for cash type

Good idea. I've been considering one for a while anyway, so perhaps now is the time.

I'm not sure it was a crash for crash, as the guy took off before I even got out the car. He probably didn't have insurance or something.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you really need to ask?

You do realise that you are responsible for where you drive, and not driving into other cars, yes?

What if a pedestrian had stepped in front of your car just as you were "looking to the right"? You wouldn't be here asking a hypethetical question - you might have been facing a charge of causing death by careless (or dangerous) driving.
  • Equi
    Equi Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Unless it is proven to be a "fix" there is generally 100% blame on the driver who goes into the back of another. There should never be a reason you are not far enough away to come to a stop before hitting them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure