Anyone tried Starling Bank?

Options

Comments

• Littleoldme
    Littleoldme Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    I got a Starling Account to use for when I am traveling and just back from 3 weeks in Australia and really impressed with it. The exchange rate I got using it for POS was so close to the actual rate (much better than I got for the travel money I bought) and getting the instant push messages for each transaction was really handy as then I could check immediately that the charge was right. I didnt use it in an ATM so can not comment on that.
  • 8i6daddy
    8i6daddy Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    I got a Starling Account to use for when I am traveling and just back from 3 weeks in Australia and really impressed with it. The exchange rate I got using it for POS was so close to the actual rate (much better than I got for the travel money I bought) and getting the instant push messages for each transaction was really handy as then I could check immediately that the charge was right. I didnt use it in an ATM so can not comment on that.

Thanks for the feedback. I've got an account with Starling too but haven't used it abroad yet and am interested in how people are finding it. I can only imagine it being a godsend knowing exactly what's going on immediately rather than getting home after your trip and getting stung by a more mainstream bank
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    8i6daddy wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. I've got an account with Starling too but haven't used it abroad yet and am interested in how people are finding it. I can only imagine it being a godsend knowing exactly what's going on immediately rather than getting home after your trip and getting stung by a more mainstream bank
    I've used it in various countries and find it perfect. No matter where, if your phone has connection the notification of a transaction pops up even before you take your card out of the terminal. The app loads very quickly, even with a slow connection, unlike many banking apps.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • 8i6daddy
    8i6daddy Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    I've used it in various countries and find it perfect. No matter where, if your phone has connection the notification of a transaction pops up even before you take your card out of the terminal. The app loads very quickly, even with a slow connection, unlike many banking apps.

I'm amazed at how quick the notifications are. My wife works in retail and whenever i'm in her shop we play a game to see who wins between my phone and her POS terminal... Starling has never lost yet, lol... same with Internet banking.. my Starling notification arrives before the confirmation screen on my laptop. Overall well impressed with both Starling and Monzo so far.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    8i6daddy wrote: »
    I can only imagine it being a godsend knowing exactly what's going on immediately rather than getting home after your trip and getting stung by a more mainstream bank
    I find it cute but not necessarily useful as a) I prefer to use a credit card where possible (the benefits are better and I like the delay in paying the bill); and b) if I use a debit card, the only time I need to know the balance is before I make another withdrawal, when I can access that bank's app to check.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    I find it cute but not necessarily useful as a) I prefer to use a credit card where possible (the benefits are better and I like the delay in paying the bill); and b) if I use a debit card, the only time I need to know the balance is before I make another withdrawal, when I can access that bank's app to check.

Ok everyone, chop up your debit cards and use credit cards ROFL

Starling as do some other card issuers including prepaid card issuers allow cards to be turned off, blocked, etc. by the user usually through a mobile app. I would hazard to guess that this would be used primarily in the case of unauthorised debits.

Now Biggles can you think of a method of immediately informing users of debits so they can spot the unauthorised debits and turn off the card? Yup got it in one: Instant notification!
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Ok everyone, chop up your debit cards and use credit cards ROFL

Surely if you tried to use a credit card while rolling on the floor you'd struggle to input the pin correctly?
    ====
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    Surely if you tried to use a credit card while rolling on the floor you'd struggle to input the pin correctly?

ROFL I didn't need to use a PIN. It's contactless. ROFL I think most people on this forum who have even the most basic knowledge of such things will have predicted this reply ROFL.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    ROFL I didn't need to use a PIN.

Well, it's a good thing you didn't need to use a PIN while rolling on the floor, you could have injured yourself or broken something...
    ====
  • gwyneth_valiant
    Options
    I downloaded it yesterday and verified my account (couldn't have been easier:T), will be using it to manage spending/budget.

I'll report back how I find it - probably won't switch bills etc over though as i am pretty happy with my high street bank!
    #115 - Save £12k in 2019 challenge: £13152.85/29419.55 - 44%:beer:
    Save 100k by March 31st 2021: £38890.27/100k - 38% :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family