Anyone tried Starling Bank?

Options

Comments

• runnerkaz
    Options
    I got a verification code immediately but have remembered that I didn't upload my ID till the weekend so It's realistically only been since Monday that they would have had everything. It maybe that they're busy with applications at the mo
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Has anyone asked Starling to increase their overdraft limit? I was only offered a £500 limit when I applied and I have now asked them to increase this. I've been using it as my main account for 3 months now so they can see I have a regular income etc.
    1005922 Posts: 176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I attempted to but given I don't have photo ID it was a big fat nope we can't set up your account then and will close down what we have already started doing
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 March at 10:49AM
    Options
    [quote=[Deleted User];73318530]Has anyone asked Starling to increase their overdraft limit? I was only offered a £500 limit when I applied and I have now asked them to increase this. I've been using it as my main account for 3 months now so they can see I have a regular income etc.[/QUOTE]

As I understand it, Starling Bank provide an overdraft which they think you should have following a full credit check usually on account opening. As far as I can see there is no facility to review the overdraft limit.

However I admit to not understanding how the overdraft works: My understanding of an overdraft is that I can overdraw up to the limit and it's a short term loan. However the Starling bank app allows for the overdraft limit to be changed to what I need up to the limit they have given me. That's beyond my understanding. For example if I reduce the amount of overdraft I need to nil then in that case I don't have an overdraft facility? Currently the slider in my overdraft section is set at the maximum limit.

Go ahead and take a look at the blurb:
    https://www.starlingbank.com/current-account/overdraft/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    As I understand it, Starling Bank provide an overdraft which they think you should have following a full credit check usually on account opening. As far as I can see there is no facility to review the overdraft limit.

However I admit to not understanding how the overdraft works: My understanding of an overdraft is that I can overdraw up to the limit and it's a short term loan. However the Starling bank app allows for the overdraft limit to be changed to what I need up to the limit they have given me. That's beyond my understanding. For example if I reduce the amount of overdraft I need to nil then in that case I don't have an overdraft facility? Currently the slider in my overdraft section is set at the maximum limit.

Go ahead and take a look at the blurb:
    https://www.starlingbank.com/current-account/overdraft/

I contacted customer service and they increased my limit from £500 to £800. Still quite low considering others have been given £5k and it took them over a week to do it.

You're right, there is no facility in the app to apply for a bigger credit limit but I do like the slider that allows you to change your overdraft within your existing limit.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    edited 11 March at 10:49AM
    Options
    [quote=[Deleted User];73390987]
    You're right, there is no facility in the app to apply for a bigger credit limit but I do like the slider that allows you to change your overdraft within your existing limit.[/QUOTE]

There again I don't see the point of it: The one and only advantage I can see is where a fraudulent transaction would take you into overdraft. I suppose it could also be useful for planning an overdraft but personally I would prefer a debit to be paid rather than bounce because I have imposed a limit. Overall the slider comes across to me as a useless gimmick.
  • Kendall80
    Options
    1005922 wrote: »
    I attempted to but given I don't have photo ID it was a big fat nope we can't set up your account then and will close down what we have already started doing

I tried setting up a Starling account prior to a european holiday. I couldnt get past the short video clip stage. My phone just wouldnt record it. Called them - nothing they could do. So I opted for Halifax's clarity CC instead.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kendall80 wrote: »
    I tried setting up a Starling account prior to a european holiday. I couldnt get past the short video clip stage. My phone just wouldnt record it. Called them - nothing they could do. So I opted for Halifax's clarity CC instead.

You have a smartphone that doesn’t record video?

Couldn’t you have applied for the account by borrowing a better phone from a friend or family?
    ====
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    There again I don't see the point of it: The one and only advantage I can see is where a fraudulent transaction would take you into overdraft. I suppose it could also be useful for planning an overdraft but personally I would prefer a debit to be paid rather than bounce because I have imposed a limit. Overall the slider comes across to me as a useless gimmick.

I think it's a great feature. If you're close to your limit close to payday, it's simple to borrow using it without committing to a permanent increase and having to call your bank to arrange it. I reduced my overdraft to nil with them as they offered way more than i would ever need, but i know that if i needed it, it's there.
  • pmidgley_2
    Options
    Integration with loyalty apps such as Yoyo Wallet and Flux allows rich data to flow between the bank and (via the app) the retailer, enabling a far richer experience for all three (retailer, customer and bank). This is the first example that I am aware of that demonstrates the possibilities flowing from PSD2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure