Anyone tried Starling Bank?

Options

Comments

• K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Another new happy Starling customer here.

Setting up the account took a week, as they couldn't find me on the electoral register and I needed to upload proof of address (I've just moved and only recently on the list at my new address, probably that.)

They offered me a larger overdraft than my high street bank, despite me being unemployed, which I gratefully accepted. Always great to have a bit more credit available.

I transferred over a few pounds from my main bank swiftly and easily, then took the app for a spin in the local shop. All good - though it lists my local corner shop as transport, for some reason! Not a big deal, I'm not likely to use it often.

The card arrived 3 days after requesting it, again took it out to make a withdrawal from an ATM and make a contactless payment. All good again.

I primarily got it for travel money, but after seeing they pay a small amount of interest, I'm sticking my savings there too. They were just sitting in my regular current account previously, as it's a modest amount that's added to irregularly. I'm off to Europe later this year, hopefully everything goes as smoothly as it has in the UK!
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to note that Starling Bank now offers joint accounts and this is another first for app-based challenger banks: Starling was the first of the new app-based challenger banks to get FSCS protection and now the first of the app-based challenger banks to offer joint accounts.
    https://www.finextra.com/newsarticle/32302/starling-bank-launches-joint-accounts
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,447 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    K80_Black wrote: »
    They offered me a larger overdraft than my high street bank, despite me being unemployed, which I gratefully accepted.

Hmm... I consider myself to have a good credit record. I have 6 bank accounts with (IIRC) a 1K O/D facility each (that I rarely use), but it's handy to have.

Starling wouldn't offer me an O/D :(
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    Hmm... I consider myself to have a good credit record. I have 6 bank accounts with (IIRC) a 1K O/D facility each (that I rarely use), but it's handy to have.

Starling wouldn't offer me an O/D :(

Probably because I have only one other account with an overdraft - not 6. Or I live in the right magic postcode. Or my credit history meets their criteria better. Or any other reason!
  • Bmwm3gt2
    Bmwm3gt2 Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I am interested in opening an account and don't want an overdraft, will this just involve a soft search?
  • Lewys
    Lewys Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    K80_Black wrote: »
    I'm off to Europe later this year, hopefully everything goes as smoothly as it has in the UK!
    I used mine abroad and never had any issues at all. So hopefully you have the same experience.

One thing I would recommend is rejecting the offer to convert transactions in Pounds.

A lot of ATMs and even restaurants, bars etc. offer to convert the transaction into your local currency, but this is always (in my experience) at bad exchange rates.

The Starling exchange rate is significantly better. So just select 'No' and pay for your transaction in the local currency, Starling will exchange it at a far more preferential rate. Saved me around £3 for every £100 spent. You instantly get a notification of how much it cost in both the local currency and in Pounds.
  • Mr_Goodkat
    Mr_Goodkat Posts: 432 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can fund your Starling account with a credit card rahter than a debit card and if so is it treated as a purchase or a cash advance by the issuing credit card company?

The app seems to let me select a credit card and have got as far as the final stage of submitting the payment but wondered if anyone had tried this out before I did?

Have a 0% purchase card with a big limit so if I can draw cash on that card at 0% via Starling then it would be very worthwhile.

Thanks
  • Mr_Goodkat
    Mr_Goodkat Posts: 432 Forumite
    Options
    Mr_Goodkat wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can fund your Starling account with a credit card rahter than a debit card and if so is it treated as a purchase or a cash advance by the issuing credit card company?

The app seems to let me select a credit card and have got as far as the final stage of submitting the payment but wondered if anyone had tried this out before I did?

Have a 0% purchase card with a big limit so if I can draw cash on that card at 0% via Starling then it would be very worthwhile.

Thanks

Anyone know???
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Anyone know???

I dont know, but would assume it would count as a cash withdrawal as it does when you use a credit card on gambling websites as you are not paying for a service or product.

Apart from you trying a test payment to see what it shows up as, then you will know.

Do you have a current balance on this credit card? or is it paid off? if its paid off then, there is no issue with you trying to send money to Starling and if it does show as a cash advance then you can pay the money straight back to the card to limit the amount of interest being applied.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

Yes, you could probably fund it that way.
    But...
    Why on earth wouldn't it be a cash advance?
    You'd clearly be withdrawing cash, albeit into a bank account rather than as notes.
    But cash nevertheless, not a product.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport