Great British Invest off or Passive V Active Updates

Options

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    finellah wrote: »
    I make it that the Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap Acc has the following monthly scores:

Oct: 3.6%
    Nov: 3.2%
    Not sure how you have the cumulative to November being lower than October, given that Vanguard's published price for 31 October was £115.2704 and its published price for 30 November was £115.3447, which is some 0.064% higher.

But still, the last January price of £117.5126 was 5.1% higher than the last September price of £111.7634 so your figures seem to have worked out in the end.

Over short periods the figures can be incredibly sensitive to to which exact day you use.For example on that Vanguard fund if you go from 29 September to 31 January you get the 5.144% as mentioned above , whereas if you go from 2 October to 2 February, you only get 2.67%. That's a result of the price leaping by almost 1.4% over the weekend at the end of September, and falling by a percent on Friday.

So someone recording a 4 month return from the first working day of October to 4 calendar months later, will get a performance about two and a half percent worse than recording a return from the last working day of September to the last working day of January.

This sort of effect will dilute down by the time we are five to ten years down the road and are looking at bigger overall movements.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TBC15 wrote: »
    I’ve updated your result for Jan to reflect you now have 5.7% more than you started of with.

Apologies if I wasn't clear. The cash balance is included in the total amount. I wish I did have a 5.7% gain! Simply disclose this balance for reference. As there's no automatic reinvestment. To avoid excessive trading charges will let the balance build until economic to invest.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I suppose that it might be useful to record an all equity passive option for some sort of comparison with those active portfolios which are all in equities. I don't think any of the passive portfolios are all equity but many of the actives are...

I make it that the Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap Acc has the following monthly scores:

Oct: 3.6%
    Dec: 5.0%
    Jan: 5.1%
    I think it would be useful to add finellah passive all equity in to the game, if only as a reference point.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • finellah
    finellah Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Not sure how you have the cumulative to November being lower than October, given that [URL=""]Vanguard's published price[/URL] for 31 October was £115.2704 and its published price for 30 November was £115.3447, which is some 0.064% higher.

As per your subsequent point about a day here or there...I think I picked up the price for 1st November at £115.7808 rather than 31st Oct. Apologies...
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,456 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Apologies if I wasn't clear. The cash balance is included in the total amount. I wish I did have a 5.7% gain! Simply disclose this balance for reference. As there's no automatic reinvestment. To avoid excessive trading charges will let the balance build until economic to invest.

Ooops I'll get the rubber out.
  • finellah
    Options
    As per your subsequent point about a day here or there...I think I picked up the price for 1st November at £115.7808 rather than 31st Oct. Apologies...

and for clarity that corrects to:

Oct: 3.1%
    Dec: 4.9%
    Jan:5.1%
  • TBC15
    Options
    and for clarity that corrects to:

Oct: 3.1%
    Dec: 4.9%
    Jan:5.1%

If you are happy to provide the monthly updates, I’ll add it to the list.
  • finellah
    Options
    TBC15 wrote: »
    If you are happy to provide the monthly updates, I’ll add it to the list.
    Will do...
  • TBC15
    Options
    Will do...

Couldn’t you have picked something with a shorter name? formatting could be a challenge.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    finellah All Eq.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income