Homer Price - Fair

Options
Electrician priced job. He said 2 men would be required. Price £300 for materials and £1000 labour. I accepted. Only electrician attended for a total of 24 hours. He then asked for £1300. I asked him to deduct 2 items he never completed. He asked for £1250! I questioned why he was charging me for 2 x men. He said job was easier and did himself. That is more than £40 an hour cash!

What do you think? Not paid him yet. Offered £750 which covers £250 materials (used) and £500 labour (1 man) which he rejected and is now getting aggressive saying the price was agreed!

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 July 2018 at 9:54PM
    Options
    The price was agreed! You even said it in your OP - you accepted.

If you didn't like it initially, you had every opportunity to say no or obtain other quotes in comparison. The quote is for the job, not who does it. One man taking twice as long as two men doing the same job is still the same number of man hours. It may well have taken him less time than he anticipated, but I can certainly imagine what you'd have said if it took him longer and he asked for more! You did not agree an hourly rate, you agreed a price for a job. Electricians get paid more than £20 an hour, anyway.

You have crossed a line. I wouldn't dream of doing what you've done and I'm not suprised he's angry with you. Pay him.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Andy123.
    Andy123. Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    If it took twice as long would you have doubled his Labour???
  • Greenyblades
    Options
    Appreciate your views.

I think he knew from the start it would be 1 man but to get more money priced 2 men. Dishonest imho.

Job would never have taken double the time. Only a small job.
  • Greenyblades
    Options
    Forgot to mention snagging. He never asked if I was happy with job. Switches not level, sockets at different heights, etc.....
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Appreciate your views.

I think he knew from the start it would be 1 man but to get more money priced 2 men. Dishonest imho.

If you understand the nature of the job and how long it would take, why did you agree to the quote?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Forgot to mention snagging. He never asked if I was happy with job. Switches not level, sockets at different heights, etc.....
    So ask him to come and correct those snags and then pay him.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Appreciate your views.

Electricians are more than £20 an hour. You're inventing a price, which is dishonest. If you want it snagged, ask him to snag it.

You don't seem to be able to grasp that one man can do any domestic wiring job perfectly adequately. You don't need four hands, two are fine. He would have wanted a mate to half the time at yours, not half the man hours or half the work. The work was always the same so you don't get to half the price.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Here we go again. Another cowboy householder trying to rip off a tradesman.
  • Pdbaggett
    Pdbaggett Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll try and be impartial as a lot of people who frequent this board are builders/tradesmen or of similar ilk so it's difficult to get an unbiased opinion on stuff like this usually.

He quoted you a fixed fee and you accepted, legally and morally you need to pay, no real room for discussion on that front.

Do I think he probably over inflated his quote and over estimated the work, well yes probably. Do I think a domestic electrician is worth £40? Definitely not. But that begs the question why did you agree to it to begin with if you where not happy with the price.

That said you do have my sympathies, my own experiences of trades people haven't been the best, shoddy work that I have ended up fixing my self, not turning up, not finishing jobs etc. That said the general consensus on this board seems to be they are worth what ever they want to charge and you should be happy they turn up at all...
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Pdbaggett wrote: »
    He quoted you a fixed fee and you accepted, legally and morally you need to pay, no real room for discussion on that front.

Did he though? If it was a lump sum quote why did he break it down into materials and labour and specify 2 men on site? Too much information that just gives the customer ammunition to challenge the final invoice.

I agree though, I suspect it was just an inflated quote and the electrician was trying to pad it out by mentioning 2 men required. Had the OP got more quotes they probably would have found a more honest contractor who would have priced the job more accurately.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure