Beware Record Go

Options
Record Go make attractive hire rates on line BUT when you get to the airport beware for all the extras. I arrived to see a queue to check in and had to take a ticket I was told these was a wait of 55 minutes BUT if I paid an extra 40 euros I could go to the front of the queue .Then I was told I had to pay a deposit of 1200 Euros even though I had paid for excess insurance in the UK BUT it got worse .As I have just turned 70 I was forced to take their insurance of 200 euros Why was this not made clear at the time of booking and why do NONE of their competitors charge this
Stay well clear of this company .

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    Options
    I think you may want this board.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Then I was told I had to pay a deposit of 1200 Euros even though I had paid for excess insurance in the UK

that is correct, common and covered in the article here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire#creditcardbalance
    if there was an accident, the car hire company would retain from your deposit and then you would make a separate claim from your insurance
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Your excess insurance policy is no different to any other insurance. If you cancel a flight or accommodation they keep your money and you claim it back from your travel insurance. Car excess insurance works in the same way. In the event of an accident they keep your deposit and you claim it back.

They tell you when booking that you have to take out their total comfort insurance if you're over 69. If you'd have done it when you booked you'd also have had zero excess and full insurance cover.
  • Howell
    Options
    I have recently returned from 2 weeks in Costa del Sol and having hired a car with Record Go I have nothing but prraise for the service that they provided. There were 4 of us so I booked a 7 seater (room for suitcases). We were given a brand new Renault Scenic Grande.

The Costs were Hire for 2 weeks 68.00 Euros ~ Fuel Charge 70.00 Euros (Refundable) ~ Insurance Fully Comp 185.00 Euros ~ Extra Driver FREE ~ Sat Nav Free Inc ~ Deposit ~ NOTHING

We had a cracked windscreen during the first week, returned the car to Malaga airport and we were back on the road with a new car within 20 minutes.

We returned the car at 6pm the staff inspected the car and confirmed that there were no issues. Before I had boarded the plane the fuel deposit had been returned to my account. Total Hire charge 253.00 euros (£225.90) for 2 weeks. Now compare that with their competitors who also charge a 1200 -1400 Euro deposit thry also charge 7 euros a day each for extra drivers and sat nav another additional 200 euros to your hire
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure