Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 17th Oct 05, 11:56 AM
    • 8,116Posts
    • 42,310Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Great Grants Hunt
    • 17th Oct 05, 11:56 AM
    Great Grants Hunt 17th Oct 05 at 11:56 AM
    This discussion has been updated with the full

Thousands of pounds worth of grants go unclaimed each year and they're available for all sorts of wierd and wonderful projects - from energy savings to studying. I'd like to tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge to find the best ones.

What else can you find a grant for and what's the best way to get it?
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 10-11-2009 at 10:33 AM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 5
  • mitch161
    i can see lots of government sponsered advisory services for getting people into work (emphasise on advisory). lots of expensive looking websites telling people what they are entitled to.

can the government please shut these down and put these funds they spend on call centre wages on actual face to face training/ caring / support.

even the "bigsociety" does not show how it will get into the homes of those in need. it just seems like another network of people advising other people.

enough of the advisory clubs, groups, organisations. atleast set up a few support grant organisations.

for instance set up a organisation that gives out food stamps to families on low income.

set up grants for house repairs which affect the tennants from actually using their homes in a healthy and safe way.

its easy. get the large gas/electricity/water companies to provide services for free to those in need (receipt of benefit) in exchange of a tax rebate.

i am on job seekers and if my plumbing fail, im stuck. have to buy water from the shop. stop taking showers. walk around puddles of water in the flat i live. as i cannot afford a plumbers bill.

the living allowance should be set for day to day living, but there should also be a emergency grant fund available to cover health and safety issues. such as no access to water, electric, gas, food.

crises loans are for the rich that can afford to pay it back. government would rather set up a website/call centre funding 5000 employees at £200 a week to simply say "sorry we cant help" then to actually provide a £200 grant to 260,000 people a year.

it works out the same costs but the government do see this
  • 20vKarlos
    Hi Everyone,

I've heard that the Government are going to/have started giving Grants for HGV Licenses.

where can i get hold of these grants??

Thanks
  • Kent45
    I'm searching for grants that would give benefits to farmers? Im curious.
    • saintjammyswine
    • By saintjammyswine 10th Oct 11, 3:44 PM
    • 2,047 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    saintjammyswine
    Hi Everyone,

I've heard that the Government are going to/have started giving Grants for HGV Licenses.

where can i get hold of these grants??

Thanks
    Originally posted by 20vKarlos
    I dont know about grants but the licence can be done on the Driving Goods Vehicles apprenticeship if that helps.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 10th Oct 11, 4:33 PM
    • 6,700 Posts
    • 4,778 Thanks
    Jo4
    I dont know about grants but the licence can be done on the Driving Goods Vehicles apprenticeship if that helps.
    Originally posted by saintjammyswine
    Apparently there is a newish test for HGV drivers which is called CPC. I heard that the government is supposed to be offering the course free to get people back into work but is this valid in Northern Ireland and where can I find out more info?
  • lexilondon21
    I want to study for an NCTJ in journalism and I would really like to avoid having to borrow £3k for the course.
    Are there any grants out there that could help, as I am not in a position to pay the full fees. x
  • ranjith39
    thaks you lot
  • Jaymo
    I was wondering if there are any charities that sell used cars or grants available to help towards the cost of a car/running a car?
  • PeteSmithHQ
    Hey Friends....As we all know it is very tough to face an interview with unexpected questions during interviews. While you are going to give an interview you never know about the interviewer's asking level just need to build a good impression to all over the environment where you sit for getting a job. For this you can get great help by visiting different sites. You can get great help for your upcoming days by visiting various links.....Best of Luck friends.
  • Lellen83
    Update the headline links Techy
    The DWP have updated links on their website for these grants and benefits. they are now available on the .gov site
  • legally_blonde_12
    Grants for driving lessons
    Does anyone know of grants/loans to fund driving lessons? I am an unemployed graduate and have turned down 2 jobs this week simply because I cant drive. There is no way I can afford to pay for lessons from jobseekers so if anyone can help I would be very grateful
    • slenderkitten
    • By slenderkitten 28th Jun 13, 12:25 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    slenderkitten
    yes i would like to know if there any grants for driving lessons, i suspect not.
    My Signature is MY OWN!!
    • tidydan24
    • By tidydan24 17th Oct 13, 9:25 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    tidydan24
    Level 5 NVQ funding or loan
    Does anyone know if there is anywhere I can get funding for Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care and Children and Young People’s Services. I work in the right environment but my boss is a little tight and won't pay for the course. I'm a father of 3 young boys, married, am entitled to tax credits, and I'm 31 years old.
    • manhattan
    • By manhattan 13th Jan 14, 3:39 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    manhattan
    https://www.gov.uk/search?q=grants
  • MrsShaw23
    Grants/bursaries etc.
    Hi, Turn2Us is an excellent website if you're trying to source grants and other sources of funding. It's also straightforward to use; you don't have to register and you can choose whether you're going to search in a professional capacity (e.g. as a Support Worker) or if you want to have look for yourself. Just click on the Grants Finder tab, refine your search (if you choose to) & literally hundreds of available grants, bursaries, hardship & welfare needs funding will be listed. As well as the better-known providers such as EDF Energy Trust, there are scores of charities you can apply to for specific items, such as medical equipment, clothing or respite care. It is also well worth noting that if you've been employed in a certain field (or your parent(s) are/have been), there is funding available for specific occupations, from ex-miners or Police & Army to music teachers, journalists and obscure (and a bit bizarre) ones such as purveyors of pork or if your surname is Forsythe. There are also many grants & bursaries for educational expenses as well as general welfare needs. The site also tells you how to apply & who to contact for further information.
  • bertilak
    Grant for Arboriculture/Forestry/Tree Surgery training
    Hi, I have had a look around and have been unable to find what I'm looking for. I am 25, from Northern Ireland and employed as a customer advisor in the retail industry but I am wanting to get started in the arboriculture industry as a Climber but there are no courses available in my local colleges but there are courses available through private companies that specialize in the Arb industry. These courses are Lantra and City and Guilds accredited courses and are the industry standard so they would help in gaining employment in the role I want.

The problem is I cant find funding as they are short courses, so I dont qualify for student finance/loans etc. I have contacted the Princes Trust and they said that I am working too many hours to get funding from them but I cant afford to cut my hours due to rent etc, I have emailed the Department for Education and Learning and I am waiting for a reply, I know its a long shot but is there anyone here that might possibly know other forms of funding theses courses?

Sorry if this is the wrong location for this post,

Thanks, Thomas.
  • loubby
    I live alone in a council house. I want to change my electric fire to a wood burner. I'm on benefit, my bills are ridiculous
    • captainhindsight
    • By captainhindsight 20th May 14, 3:27 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    captainhindsight
    I live alone in a council house. I want to change my electric fire to a wood burner. I'm on benefit, my bills are ridiculous
    Originally posted by loubby
    being a council house, you cannot get ECO funding for a new heating system, You will have to speak to your council landlord.

These grants only apply to privately rented or owned properties
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
  • papaalpha001
    Grants
    please Help, I'm currently working as a ground worker. I was self employed up until they changed all the rules on April 4th 2014 then you(I) was forced to go PAYE and get paid through umbrella company , I want to retrain to be a Digger Driver. To do that. I've been quoted £2,800, nowz: I've got some Money put aside, was wondering is there any help out there. That could help me. It'd be sooooooooooo Appreciated
    Look forward to all your helpful answers. Thanks Guys N Girls
  • MrMinaj
    grants for home learning courseS?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

100Posts Today

1,750Users online

Martin's Twitter