Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• Diana2014
    Diana2014 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 January 2020 at 1:49PM
    Options
    I don't have a swimming pool or a particularly large garden (which are the assumptions on which sewerage rebate claim forms are based) but I've had a substantial sewerage rebate for many years now, although it took a while to haggle it out with Thames Water. I calculated that only about 30% as much dirty water goes into the sewer system from my home as the amount of clean water that I take, so the rebate is based on that. (TW clearly hate this and periodically insist on reviewing the rebate, but have had to accept that my household and habits remain unchanged.)

My garden is the standard size for an old terraced house but I grow a lot in containers, so I use all possible grey water (collected from baths, hair-washing, rinsing the washing-up etc) on those and the newly-planted bits of the garden.

I also divert all rainwater from the roofs of the house into a water-butt and the biggest underground water tank that I could install. I use that for gardening too, which is invaluable for acid-loving plants and also during droughts.

I recently discovered that, since April 2001, Thames Water has changed the basis on which they charge for "surface water drainage" (which was formerly lumped in with wastewater drainage) and that one can claim a rebate where rainwater from one's property does not drain to a public sewer - as in my case. That rebate can theoretically be backdated, although how that's done (at https://www.thameswater.co.uk/my-account/billing-and-payment/our-charges/metered-charges, under the "surface water drainage" subheading) is confusing and looks as if it's been changed since I put in a claim last year. I've not so far received any response from Thames Water to that claim.
  • Diana2014
    Diana2014 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    "leaving our bath water in and using it to refill the toilet cistern after we flush"

Using grey water to flush the loo makes sense; I do it too. BUT I wouldn't pour it straight into the cistern (unless that is capable of filtering out the soap, dirt etc. which would otherwise eventually clog up the mechanism in the cistern). Pour the grey water directly down the loo instead, using a bucket (rather than a jug etc) if a stronger flush is needed.

The grey water will leave a horrid ring around the bath, so keeping the bath clean will be easier if you bail out the water with appropriate, lidded containers. Large plastic milk bottles work well for this (but will eventually degrade and start to leak).
  • BethP
    BethP Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our monthly DD Water Bill was £54 so four years ago we went onto a water meter and our payments dropped to £16pm. At each review over four years, our average daily usage is 170 litres. Our usage has not changed over the four years but our water bills are now £28pm.
  • BethP
    BethP Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Water saving tip:  we wet our hands under the tap. Switch off tap. Wash hands with soap. Tap back on. Rinse.
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Answer to robpitt.  Check your rateable value with your local council treasurers department.
    Also, as often mentioned on this site, check rateable value of similar properties in your street for comparison.  You can do this on your local council website.
    To save water when flushing toilet, place a house brick in the toilet cistern (very carefully!) or try getting one of the free inflatable devices from your water supplier.  I think the term for them is a Hippo.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Went through "Save Water Save Money's savings calculator" which the article says should give me access to the freebies, but when I click the button to "Claim [my] FREE products" I'm taken to a generic Anglian Water page about saving water, and there is no option to claim anything at all. Pointless waste of time.

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 1 May 2020 at 12:42PM
    Options
    REJP said:
    Answer to robpitt.  Check your rateable value with your local council treasurers department.
    Also, as often mentioned on this site, check rateable value of similar properties in your street for comparison.  You can do this on your local council website.

Councils stopped using Rateable Value(RV) for domestic properties in April 1990 and do not keep a list of RVs. Indeed any properties built post April 1990 never had a RV.
    Are you not getting confused with the Council Tax banding that took over from RV - after a brief flirtation with the Poll Tax! The Council Tax has nothing to do with RV and is not used to calculate water charges for houses without a meter.

• Sky_Dragon
    Sky_Dragon Posts: 36 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Diana2014 said:
    I don't have a swimming pool or a particularly large garden (which are the assumptions on which sewerage rebate claim forms are based) but I've had a substantial sewerage rebate for many years now, although it took a while to haggle it out with Thames Water. I calculated that only about 30% as much dirty water goes into the sewer system from my home as the amount of clean water that I take, so the rebate is based on that. (TW clearly hate this and periodically insist on reviewing the rebate, but have had to accept that my household and habits remain unchanged.)

My garden is the standard size for an old terraced house but I grow a lot in containers, so I use all possible grey water (collected from baths, hair-washing, rinsing the washing-up etc) on those and the newly-planted bits of the garden.

I also divert all rainwater from the roofs of the house into a water-butt and the biggest underground water tank that I could install. I use that for gardening too, which is invaluable for acid-loving plants and also during droughts.

I recently discovered that, since April 2001, Thames Water has changed the basis on which they charge for "surface water drainage" (which was formerly lumped in with wastewater drainage) and that one can claim a rebate where rainwater from one's property does not drain to a public sewer - as in my case. That rebate can theoretically be backdated, although how that's done (at https://www.thameswater.co.uk/my-account/billing-and-payment/our-charges/metered-charges, under the "surface water drainage" subheading) is confusing and looks as if it's been changed since I put in a claim last year. I've not so far received any response from Thames Water to that claim.
    I completed applying for a removal of the Surface Water Drainage charge with Thames Water, as my rainwater goes to soakaways, in April. Like you I've been paying the extra for SWD since the charge was introduced in 2001.
    I actually didn't expect any backdating, but they've now accepted my claim, and, as far as I can tell (as they didn't send any covering info with the revised bill) they've rebated me for 4 years in total up to the period ending 31 March 2020 (just over £100), and I'm happy with that.
  • CMcC
    Options
    Use a large bowl or similar in the shower: stand in it and catch the water around your feet. Decant into a bucket for convenience, then use it to flush the lavatory, water plants or wherever 'grey' water is suitable. Really, houses should be equipped with two water systems: one, the fresh water from the mains, for drinking, cooking and other uses where clean, potable water is needed. The other, for recycling 'grey' water and capturing rainwater. But until our building standards catch up... we have to do it 'manually'. Gives me some extra exercise carrying buckets! (And it reminds me of the many people throughout the world who have to do this from necessity, not just to save money and planet.)
  • cheerful
    cheerful Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your shower is in a bathtub rather than a standalone shower put the plug in when you take a shower.  This will show you how much water you are actually using and you may be surprised.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback