Your married surname.

Options
1235»

Comments

• happyandcontented
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    I’m in my early 30’s so I’ve attended a lot of weddings in the last few years and have a few due next year. I’ve only known one wedding where a woman made a speech. This was the mother of the bride and I think this was primarily because the father of the bride was not present. It certainly isn’t my experience that it’s commonplace.

Out of those who’ve got married I’ve known two women who have kept their own surnames, all the rest the woman has taken the mans surname.

Most of the weddings I have attended in the last few years have had both Bride and Groom making a speech. At the last one, the Mother of the Bride gave her away and gave the speech as the Brides Father wasn't in the picture. I think it depends on the individuals concerned.
  • autumn2012_2
    Options
    Married in 2014 - two children together. Kids have his surname and I have kept my own. Im my own person and I shall keep my given name at birth. Its an outdated tradition in my opinion to take the males name. However it is upto the individual. It doesnt make our marriage or love any less strong - tbh I dont see the big deal
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    autumn2012 wrote: »
    Married in 2014 - two children together. Kids have his surname and I have kept my own. Im my own person and I shall keep my given name at birth. Its an outdated tradition in my opinion to take the males name. However it is upto the individual. It doesnt make our marriage or love any less strong - tbh I dont see the big deal

So why didn't you give your children your surname?

Why give them his?
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    So why didn't you give your children your surname?

Why give them his?

Why not?

I guess if you'll have different surnames this is a dilemma that'll crop up. It is somewhat bizarre that someone who has no desire to share their surname with their husband would be concerned about sharing their surname with their children.

Maybe in this situation the only 'fair' solution is to double barrel the children's surname.
  • Guineapigsqueaks
    Options
    My husband took my surname when we married. I was from a family of girls only and wanted to carry on my lovely Dad's surname. My husband's Dad was a waste of space, so husband was happy to do it.

Keep Smiling :)
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    This reason I like
  • pebbles88
    pebbles88 Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did end up changing to his name when we got married, really didn't want to but it was 'important' to him.....

Should have stuck to my guns, so happy now I'm back to 'My' name following divorce!!!!!
    Please be nice to all moneysavers!
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
    Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!
  • DevilsAdvocate1
    Options
    I took my husband's name when I married him but it was right hassle. I wouldn't do it again. You don't realise how many places you have to change your name. And changing the passport was particularly awkward as I worked away alot at the time.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My wife took my surname. It wasn't much of a hassle to change it.

My brother's wife has kept her surname. We all think it's a bit odd, and don't know what surname their first child will take.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options

Only take if you are married husband or wife

I'm a married husband but to a woman so I answered "No" as I don't have a husband.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure