PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• lainz
    lainz Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    lainz wrote: »
    Been in the kitchen tonight as nothing on the telly and have made spinach lasagne and a version of MrsMc's spinach bread (anyone guess what's growing in my garden :rotfl: ) They were both nice - but just missing something :rolleyes: . Will have to see if I can cram them in my freezer! I have a 5ft one and it's just me :rotfl: !

quote]

I'd like to add that I've had some for my lunch and they were both nom nom, so note to self, wait for it to 'mature' and not try at the ooohhh aaahhh stage :o :rotfl:

Should be a nsd day - must get into the garden and plant out my butternuts and toms
  • beckseven
    beckseven Posts: 877 Forumite
    Options
    Hello-I was wondering if I could join this challenge? My aim this month is to spend £300 but I am hoping to bring this gradually down as I am pregnant at the moment and need to get the grocery bills under control by the time i'm on maternity leave! I'm going to pinch the idea for the fish pie for our tea on thursday me thinks! I've got to go and get some veggies today but I will do my main shop in Tesco's tomorrow.
    HSBC Visa-High interest-£2349.23 Nat West £2605.18
    My Overdraft-£1500
    Barclaycard-1089.77
    Marks and Spencer card- 3331.30 next 92.67
    Total was 11066.29 now £10,968.15
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Dink1, i did know, but always like to be reminded coz I often forget (they say its old age, I say it's coz i know so much something has to fall out!:rotfl: )

Have written my list and just double checking cupboards and stuff for anything I've missed - don't want to go out again! I know they'll be cuing up at the whoopsies counter, so may have to put some padding on to get in there:D

See you all when I get back - bruised and battered probably
    Den x
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    I found a recipe for breadsticks last night that doesnt include any salt - great for DS as he's only 20months old and shouldn't have more than 2g/day

Breadsticks Recipe

8 oz strong white/wholemeal bread flour
    ½ sachet/ ½ tsp fast action yeast
    1 oz melted butter
    1 tbsp olive oil
    3½ fl oz water (@ room temp)
    sesame seeds (optional - not suitable for under 3yrs)

Preheat oven Gas 6/220C
    Mix flour and yeast in a bowl.
    Pour in the oil, water and melted butter. Mix to form a dough.
    Divide into 15 pieces and roll to pencil shapes about 15cm long.
    Roll them in sesame seeds (if using) and then place on a greased/ lined tray
    Bake for 20mins until golden. Will keep in an airtight box for 1 week.

I think next time I make them I will make about 20 instead of 15 and I will roll them out a bit thinner.

Nikki
    x

Edit: gave these to DS today and he loved them. Sucess!! :)
    :A
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :mad: Got some ham out of freezer last week for DS so that he could have ham sandwiches for his lungh (half term!) just been in fridge to check what I need and a whole unopened pack sitting there - expiry today!!!!:mad:

Does anyone know if I made up sandwiches with it today for hubby & DS next week then froze them, would this be freezing the ham twice and bad and would it still be OK when they got it out to eat, as eating on day of defrosting??? OOHHH, need to get the hang of this freezing lark:D
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    :mad: Got some ham out of freezer last week for DS so that he could have ham sandwiches for his lungh (half term!) just been in fridge to check what I need and a whole unopened pack sitting there - expiry today!!!!:mad:

Does anyone know if I made up sandwiches with it today for hubby & DS next week then froze them, would this be freezing the ham twice and bad and would it still be OK when they got it out to eat, as eating on day of defrosting??? OOHHH, need to get the hang of this freezing lark:D

I dont think you should refreeze meat unless its been recooked first. I would say that the expiry has been extended since they have been frozen? So I would still use next week but just sniff it first before you use. If it smells off it is. HTH

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • Judellie
    Judellie Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, hope you're all doing ok.
    It's the first day of this challenge for me today, so will try to resist the kids pleas for sweets and try to steer them in the direction of all the home baked goodies.
    Will have to do some shopping for packed lunches for next week and we need fruit and veg, but hopefully that's all.
    Does anyone know a recipe for either hard sweets (boiled type) or softer jelly type (haribo?) ones. They don't get them very often but they are sooo expensive.
    Baked 3 loaves of bread yesterday, fairy cakes, weetabix brownies (went down a treat) and 'belgian fingers'. The belgian fingers are the dough from an apple braid recipe on the storecupboard challange thread, made into fingers with sultanas in them. My boys can't get enough of them.
    Will update my sig after I've been shopping.

Jude xx
    GC June: £350/405.56
    GC July: £350 spent
    [STRIKE]£22[/STRIKE]99.51
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    angelnikki wrote: »
    I found a recipe for breadsticks last night that doesnt include any salt - great for DS as he's only 20months old and shouldn't have more than 2g/day

Breadsticks Recipe

8 oz strong white/wholemeal bread flour
    ½ sachet fast action yeast (½ tsp?)
    1 oz melted butter
    1 tbsp olive oil
    3½ fl oz water (@ room temp)
    sesame seeds (optional)

Preheat oven Gas 6/220C
    Mix flour and yeast in a bowl.
    Pour in the oil, water and melted butter. Mix to form a dough.
    Divide into 15 pieces and roll to pencil shapes about 15cm long.
    Roll them in sesame seeds (if using) and then place on a greased/ lined tray
    Bake for 20mins until golden. Will keep in an airtight box for 1 week.

Nikki
    x
    Thanks, might try this out for DS- he is 11 months :)
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• galadriel
    galadriel Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget Tesco will take sun vouchers I found Morrisons was more expensive and because I don't usually shop there didn't find much I wanted so will be using mine in Mr t's instead

Thanks, Tesco is twice as far away though and it also sells loads more stuff - too much temptation I think!! Might go next week though with one of the other vouchers. Am taking my supermarket list so will only buy what is equivalent price. Am also hoping they still have the storage boxes I bought a couple of months ago at 2 for a fiver. These were great when we were camping last weekend and could do with some more.
  • mr_and_mrs_t
    mr_and_mrs_t Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all good luck for this month everyone.
    I have just spent £56. at tesco and am ready to Hopefully do better this month. Please keep our target at £250.
    I am loving mse website, such great advice. It's great to stick to an amount every month and putting it on here really does help.
    Regards,

Mr and mrs t
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family