PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    Congrats Chell, :T :T :T :T :T

Well a nsd today, technically a not gone out or gotten dressed properly either day :rolleyes:
    made a type of patata bravas (spanish potatoes) with left over cubed potatoes, some green pepper, chorizo, a little piri piri seasoning and a packet of tomato and basil soup, cooked the chorizo, added the potatoes and the peppers, stirred areound, added the soup and seasoning and cooked for about 5-10 minutes, was luverly!!! :D

am planning to send OH to work this evening with some sarnies and have myself a lovely dinner of cous cous, roasted BNS and watch something sappy.

still have some pre wedding stuff to do but that'll have to wait til tomorrow as need to go out and really can't be faffed today.

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    Just ordered 2 weeks worth of groceries from tesco,except bread and milk,comes to £63 after discounts.Going to make my own pizza bases and have ordered extra flour to give some more home made stuff a go this time.
    Spent £3 on heavily reduced bread and cakes at tesco last night,put a few finest loaves reduced to 22p each in the freezer.Got finger rolls for 7p a pack,lunches today and tomorrow,french sticks for 12p each were used for tea last night with pasta and chicken(side salad reduced to 10p),remainder of the french bread will be used tonight made into french bread pizzas.Doing okay,really happy with my bargains.Managed to find a packet of apple and herb stuffing mix reduced to 6p to go with the pork sausages.Love the reduced cabinets:D
    Do use mysupermarket.com,I have used it for my last 2 shops and its great for pointing out savings,e.g pure fruit juice, its cheaper to buy in 3x1.5 l cartons than 4x 1l cartons,more for less.2x 500g jars of curry sauce is cheaper than the big 750 jar of the same sauce.I get ipoints too and use voucher codes.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • nickynoo08
    nickynoo08 Posts: 1,860 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi everyone,
    been to tesco today for my wkly shop, i was very good too. I wasn't tempted by any of the offers they had or anything so managed to keep costs down.
    will updaste my sig
    £387.39/£196.46
    Pay my debt by End of Feb 2022
    49.28% paid!

£199.55/£500 savings by End of April 2022
    39.91% saved!

Make £2022 in 2022 - £20
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    nicki wrote: »
    Well I've lost the plot :o

My current total is £74.56/£40 :o

I have stocked up on a load of whoopsies in Asda yesterday and some bits in Tescos, then the gravest mistake of all - I went to HomeBargains and bought stuff in there as well. I've spent £34 in two days on groceries :o I still need to buy milk, and I'll need fruit. Going to go and put all I've bought into mysupermarket and see how much I've saved, that might make me feel a little better :o:confused:

I did this, and just on the reduced stuff I can get from Asda I saved £14.16 (Spent £26.98 though :o ). There are also things which I can't get in Asda so I haven't included them. Now just to use them up :o:o
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all no spend day for me today (except petrol which is another budget). That makes 3 in a row - probably a record for me!!

However, I think I am very near the end of my budget and 2 weeks left to go but freezer is packed and I know I'm not nearly as bad as last month (when I stopped keeping track early on and then ended up about £150 over my budget!! :eek:)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • princess_leia_3
    Options
    Congrats Chell!!

Updated my sig as spent £3.90 in Mr M's (got some 50p burgers ;))and £1.75 on weightwatchers mag
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• nicnacnoo
    nicnacnoo Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    congrats Chell on your new pink bundle!

i spent £5.97 in the co-op after work cos i needed millk and a few bits, have update sig.
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone - got back from Hols on the 9th and it has taken me until now to catch up on all the pages - wanted to read them all as you are all posting such good advice/help so didn't want to miss anything.

Angelnikki - can you please put me down for £161 for August please as my month runs until the 27th so as we didn't come back until 9th I guess that amount should be right.

Did a big shop when we got back, pretty much stocked up so fingers crossed that I'll make it. Had Fish, HM chips made with Potatoes from the Garden) and Mushy Peas on Friday night, HM Pizza, HM Dough Balls and salad from the Garden on Saturday (had to buy Tomatoes & Cucumber as not ready in the garden yet). Yesterday we had Roast Lamb which was already in the Freezer from last month's Budget, got leftover Lamb so having Curry tonight.

Haven't stopped since we got back trying to restock on nice things like HM Bread, Rolls, Courgette Muffins with courgettes from the Garden, made Iced Buns today, fairy cakes and hobnobs with the kids which they loved doing and finally have picked up all the windfall apples from the Garden and made a crumble for tonight.

Turbo5019 - think it was you who was asking about HM Sausage Rolls, when I make mine I make up a packet of Sage & Onion stuffing and add that to the Sausagemeat which bulks it out to make more Sausage Rolls and also makes them taste even nicer.

Anyway, it's good to be back up to date with everyone - congrats to the new Mums, hugs to those that need them and good luck with the rest of the month everyone.:D

PS. Almost forgot to ask - I have a Blackcurrant bush in the Garden which has fruit on it for the first time, I looked up on the Internet and thought they should be ready to pick in July but everytime I cut one open it's still green inside - any ideas anyone - never bought them from a shop before - only ever had them in a Ribena so not sure what they should look like and too scared to taste one!!:o
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• 4Moneysaver
    Options
    Had a NSD yesterday and will be the same again today....must have a look at my meal plan calendar to see what's planned for tomorrow. My freezer is now bulging with lots of pre-cooked pulses for slinging into stews, sauces and bakes. Will need fruit and veg tomorrow but that shouldn't put too much of a dent into the budget. Can it stop raining now please?
    It's up to me now and nobody else.
  • SavvyStudent_2
    Options
    Just ordered 2 weeks worth of groceries from tesco,except bread and milk,comes to £63 after discounts.Going to make my own pizza bases and have ordered extra flour to give some more home made stuff a go this time.

Definitely give pizza bases a go. I've started baking (and it's going really well!) and pizzas are so easy & cheap (and massive when you make them yourself! Careful of the hips lol)! Do you have recipes? L x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure