PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    SmileyS wrote: »
    Well I kind of blew it already---sort of-- what do you reckon???

thought I would pop in the local charity shops(a new thing for me) picked up a pair of brand new M+S school pants for £1.50,a waterproof addidas football training top for £2 (my son has the pants to match and he will wear them all winter for his 3 x a week football practice and an as new school blazer for £3 ,they cost £35 new and my ds1 needs one this year)

So what do you reckon,should I have nipped into the chairty shop and spent? Bearing in mine it will save me about £50 in the long run?

Thaks once again for your tips

SS

Yes, definitely - all needed stuff which will get worn lots and totally bargain prices :T :T

Gt
    x
    who has spent far too much far too soon this month :o
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just about to update my sig, last week was well under but I was in hospital from Thursday till late yesterday. DH and the children were hardly at home, it is my Mum who will have spent a fortune on food! All he bought was milk as far as I know.

This week shouldn't be too costly either as we can eat from the freezer till I feel more like cooking.

O/T but baby Mara was born on Thursday morning weighing 6lb 9oz. She developed jaundice in the first 24 hours so we had to stay in hospital a little longer while she had some tests done. Fingers crossed she seems on the mend but will be checked daily by the mw then in hospital in two weeks.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • mumoffour77
    mumoffour77 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Options
    Congrats Chell xxxxxx
    :jIm going to be frugal:j
    :DIm going to be frugal:D
    ;)Im going to be frugal;)
    Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................:rotfl:
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    HI THERE EVERYONE

another NSD for me that makes 3 in a row ,,We found Archie cat under next doors caravan twice now,, we dont know where he gets the energy from.. all he is doing is drinkingand walking drunkenly as his back end seems to have gone

see you soon

Ann xx
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    Options
    Congrats Chell!

Well my cousin's visit went off very well. She may be coming to live with us for a month or so later this year while she looks for a job. I would be happy to have her as a guest but she says if she stays, she will pay rent - so a little extra income may be on the cards!

On the other hand, we went to the Tutankhamen exhibition on Saturday and since she paid for the tickets, I paid for lunch - £28. Also, had to get lemons, yogurt and fruit and we were too lazy to go to Asda so went to Mr.S instead and spent almost £5 on those three items.

Still, the fridge and freezer are PACKED so unless my guests over the bank holiday go mad, I should be under budget this month.
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
  • mumofjusttwo
    mumofjusttwo Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    Options
    Glad that you have found your cat. Hope he gets better soon.
    January Grocery 11/374
  • susan946
    susan946 Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    Chell wrote: »

O/T but baby Mara was born on Thursday morning weighing 6lb 9oz. She developed jaundice in the first 24 hours so we had to stay in hospital a little longer while she had some tests done. Fingers crossed she seems on the mend but will be checked daily by the mw then in hospital in two weeks.

Many congratulations to you all, Chell. Hope you are getting on OK. Like all new parents I guess you are pretty shattered, but do accept any help you are offered, concentrate on the important things - you, the babe and the family - and let everything else float over your head. Cherish the early days - they're gone all too soon.

Back on groceries - I went into Asda this morning and grumbled about our chicken. Was given a double refund!!!!!!! I certainly wasn't expecting that! That will bring the costs down a bit for this week. I needed some more milk and a couple of tins of cat food and that's all. Unfortunately had DH with me and when I got to the checkout it seems a few things he has been muttering about had mysteriously jumped into the basket!!!!!!! How does that happen????????:mad: Still only spent a fiver though so not too bad.

Sue
  • egon
    egon Posts: 439 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

we have been away for a few days (me and the kids, DH did the washing, ioning and painted our bedroom!)

I did spent more whilest away, then I hoped. I still have to tally up everything.
    We will very likely go over budget by the end of the month, but I will try and limit it as much as possible.

I've just made a list on thing on offer in various local shops. so hopefully that will save a bit.....

I will catch up with all the posts tonight, when DS's are in bed!

Egon
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon all

CONGRATULATIONS Chell :T

Well today has been a NSD :T hubby is on duty -so won't be back until tomorrow morning-then he will be off for the day:D so we will probably have a wander around the golf course (armed with a carrier bag-just in case i spot any blackberries..not that i have seen any signs of them so far :rolleyes: ).. On the way home we will stop off at the NAFFI just in case they have got the bread flour in YET ..obviously it would be rude to not look in the whoopsies wouldn't it :rotfl:

I have been out fetching off more tomatoes :D and the aubergines are coming along nicely.... Had 1 off so far and 7 more under way :j
    aubergine2ue0.th.jpg
    subarcticrq6.th.jpg
    Im getting lots of tomatoes off -and im saving some seeds to plant for next year too ... Its a shame we can't set up a "swap it" seed thread isn't it...
    I have had a wander to the garden centre this morning...didn't spend a penny :A :rotfl: although i have spotted those metal garden arches whoopsed to €2 :eek: so tomorrow im thinking of going back and fetching a few ready for growing beans etc up next season..well its cheaper than buying more canes and a better way to do it too ;) they are the ones that come in sections, so i can always use them in other ways too :D
    This afternoons mission is to transfer my meal plans onto the PC and then print out and stick inside the cupboard doors...
    I know it seems a bit early but i have allready started thinking about getting supplies built up ready for the winter months -so as of next month i might start buying extra pulses, suet etc ....heck i need to get out more :o :rotfl:

right im off to get sorted
    have a great afternoon all:D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Congratulations Chell, what a beautiful name:D
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport