Help and advice Virgin Media wifi issue and router

Options

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am in Virgin Media. Main issue is that their router is located on one side of the house where the cable enters. I had been using the VM in modem only mode and an elderly Netgear wifi router. Even when a decent wifi signal is there that was prone to disconnect, get flummoxed by Apple photo syncing or just fail to assign an IP address when connected.

I did 3 things, got a mid range dual band Asus router, about £100 several years ago. Then I used a length of Ethernet cable from VM router in modem only mode to a new site for the Asus practically at the centre of the house. Finally I surveyed the local wifi channels and set the Asus channels to avoid the neighbours ones. Since this time I’ve had excellent wifi and speeds.

Don’t just use your new router as an access point, put your VM router in modem only mode and let the new router do the routing.
  • ChuckMountain
    Options
    As the other responses have said I still think you need to do some testing. Unfortunately IOS is really locked down these days and some of the apps don't run if you have an Android phone then you can still get the apps

Have a look at this video, its a random one I found and it shows that his choice of channel in the 2.4GHz region is not good as lots of people are on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW2b2yB69W8
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    RumRat wrote: »
    Are you operating the VM router on 2Ghz or 5Ghz WiFi? I'm guessing 2Ghz If that is correct try a change to 5GHz if your equipment will take it.

you can even do both at once
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    you can even do both at once
    I could have worded it better, but his laptop will only connect to one or the other at a time and 5Ghz will probably give better results if he hasn't yet tried it.
    :)
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • ftsos
    ftsos Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have split the 2 and 5Ghz, its one of the first the tech support did. We have tried different VM routers. Its been replaced. We had a first media guy come to the house, he also confirmed that it must the wireless issue with this router model. All the various channels have also been tried.
    RumRat wrote: »
    I could have worded it better, but his laptop will only connect to one or the other at a time and 5Ghz will probably give better results if he hasn't yet tried it.
    :)
  • ftsos
    ftsos Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Chuck,

This is the link for the product you gave me:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-NETWORKS-UBI-UAP-AC-PRO-5Ghz-1300Mbps/dp/B016XYQ3WK/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1522852913&sr=1-1&keywords=unifi

And this link, I saw this below it which showed the newer version of the same product:
    https://ibb.co/joK34x

The newer version does not include "POE Injector". I don't know if the older one does, the one you gave the link for. It doesn't relay say, unless you can clarify for me.

To everyone, I appreciate your help on this. I do. I may not always say it. Thanks.
    Yes I own one of the AC Pros and its given a far better WiFi signal then anything else I have owned.

Not sure what you mean about new model as couldn't see anything mentioning that the model above it is the UAP-HD and that is double the price.

You need to make sure you get the one with the Power over Ethernet (POE) adaptor. That allows you to plug a little dongle inline with the ethernet cable that powers the WAP, hence you only need one cable to it and can mount it somewhere out of the way. They sell without in case you have another source.

The only thing as far as I know is that you need to install the controller software to configure it and that did require Java on your machine. You only need to do this once or if you need to make changes.

Alternatively you buy their cloud controller but that is another £70.
  • ChuckMountain
    Options
    ftsos wrote: »
    We have split the 2 and 5Ghz, its one of the first the tech support did. We have tried different VM routers. Its been replaced. We had a first media guy come to the house, he also confirmed that it must the wireless issue with this router model. All the various channels have also been tried.

Which router do you have now?

As far as I know there are no mass reported issued with VM routers and their wireless is not that bad, not to the symptoms you describe anyway. What they do suffer from and so do other ISP routers is when somebody has an issue with wireless it is the router that is culprit and thus changing it often seems to solve the problem.

In the UK WiFi power transmit is limited by law and most routers will transmit at up to max. Also the client has to be able to transmit too as not much room in an iPhone for an aerial etc.

Some routers have better software, some have better aerial design as well as MIMO. From a quick google the Super Hub 3 has 5 x 2.4GHz and 3 x 5GHz aerials so its not lacking in that department.

Did you see him try the channels as I am not convinced that all the channels would have been tried as on 2.4GHz there are up to 13, which is doable though normally you want to try 1, 6 and 11 because of overlaps. On 5GHz though there are slightly more channels and its not a case of checking for 30 seconds and seeing if it is ok.

The correct way to do is to scan what channels are in use already and avoid them. It's the equivalent of listening to the traffic report on the radio and saying right will avoid the main high street as there is an accident and everyone is trying to get down it. Result chaos.

Channel width also can have an effect on performance so you need to check these settings.

None of this is unique to VM though so worth getting your head around it and making sure no underlying.

I wouldn't necessarily trust what a VM "Installer" says as some are quite biased and don't fully understand what's going on.

Unfortunately tech support is not necessarily that much better either as they often follow scripts. Occasionally you might find somebody that knows what they are doing but its rare.

Hence if you ask on these threads you will often get much better help :)
  • ChuckMountain
    Options
    ftsos wrote: »
    Hi Chuck,

This is the link for the product you gave me:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-NETWORKS-UBI-UAP-AC-PRO-5Ghz-1300Mbps/dp/B016XYQ3WK/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1522852913&sr=1-1&keywords=unifi

And this link, I saw this below it which showed the newer version of the same product:
    https://ibb.co/joK34x

Sorry must be going blind :)

The newer version does not include "POE Injector". I don't know if the older one does, the one you gave the link for. It doesn't relay say, unless you can clarify for me.

To everyone, I appreciate your help on this. I do. I may not always say it. Thanks.

Am not convinced it is any newer other than dropping the POE Injector.

The POE Injector in this case is for all intents and purposes the equivalent of a wall PSU. In your case unless you have a PoE Switch which my guess is you don't. Then you need to buy one with the PoE Injector :)
  • ChuckMountain
    Options
    Meant to add the UniFi software does scan for available channels and does try to use uncongested ones.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My VM SHub 3 gives me very usable WiFi throughout the house with a variety of devices connecting (12) across 2 and 5Ghz. So it's not an inherent problem with the VM router.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills