Charging £30 extra for seat on Wizz Air flight

Options
I booked and paid in full for an economy seat on Wizz Air for my daughter. The evening before she left, we did the online check in, as required to avoid a charge for checking in at the airport. We discovered that the ONLY remaining seats in economy were ones with "extra leg room", costing a premium of £30. We neither wanted nor needed this extra legroom yet we had no choice but to select one of these premium seats and pay the additional £30. This is unfair, as we paid for econony and they should really honour the price we paid.

I wrote to Wizz Air after the flight to request a refund of that £30. Whilst I got an auto-acknowledgement of the complaint, they never formally responded. I wrote again about 3 months later and still they never responded. I then appealed to the arbitration service mentioned in their website and I received an auto-acknowledgement but yet again I never heard from them . I repeated that 3 months later and again I never heard another thing.

I have two main points on which I would welcome any advice:

1. Am I right in thinking that they should not have charged me an additional £30? My only "fault" was being slow to choose my seat - all the "normal" economy seats had been taken by the time we checked in. There was nothing that I could see in their terms that allowed them to do this or which warned us of this potential additional expense.

2. Is there a UK arbitration service to whom I can complain about this sharp practice? I feel I need a UK based forum to help our here, as Wizz Air is, I believe, Hungarian and they appear intent on avoiding my complaint as they are outside the EU.

I would happily sue in the UK small claims court if I could enforce the judgement in the UK (I am not sure they have assets in the UK).

Any help on how to address this sharp practice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You should have just checked in and you would have been allocated a seat free of charge.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You don't pick a seat and it would have allocated you one free.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GraemeAKing
    Options
    Thanks. But they make it clear that they would charge for checking in at the airport.
  • GraemeAKing
    Options
    But the only seats still available at that time were ones that carried this £30 additional charge
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    But the only seats still available at that time were ones that carried this £30 additional charge

If you hadn't of picked one and continued it would allocate you one free and checked you in

https://wizzair.com/en-gb/information-and-services/travel-information/seat-allocation
    During your booking you may select a seat for a fee. If you decide not to select a seat, an available seat is automatically assigned to you randomly during check-in.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jpsartre
    Options
    Thanks. But they make it clear that they would charge for checking in at the airport.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have checked in, I'm saying you shouldn't have opted to choose a seat. It's two different things. Seat selections are purely optional, if you decide against it you will be allocated a seat free of charge. Of course, that comes with the risk of being split up from your travel companion but that's another issue.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They only cost £30 if you choose one. Was there any requirement during the check in process for you to choose a seat?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • GraemeAKing
    Options
    There were no non-£30 seats available. There were only two seats left on the flight when I went to check in, both of which were extra leg room plus the £30 extra charge. Even if I had not selected the £30 extra leg room seat, there were no other free seats available anywhere on this flight!
  • jpsartre
    Options
    Even if seats are not available to choose on a seat map, it does not necessarily mean they are occupied. Often seats will be held back for selection for various reasons. And even if the seats you paid to sit in were really the only two available you would have been given them free of charge had you just checked in. Again, paying to select a seat is an *optional* extra.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There were no non-£30 seats available. There were only two seats left on the flight when I went to check in, both of which were extra leg room plus the £30 extra charge. Even if I had not selected the £30 extra leg room seat, there were no other free seats available anywhere on this flight!
    I'm really surprised that you are still unable to understand, that there is NO NEED TO SELECT ANY SEAT. You have already paid for the flight, the airline will not throw you off if you don't select a seat. With only two extra legroom seats available when you check in, one of them will be allocated to you WITHOUT PAYMENT if you don't select any seat. Clear yet..?
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport