Taking the scenic route from chaos to calm!!!

Options

Comments

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can do this :)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • seahorsey
    Options
    Thanks both :)

So I may or may not have spent an hour at work yesterday fiddling with my spreadsheet :rotfl:in my defence it had been a manic morning and I’d had no lunch break so a wee bit of time out was overdue. Anyways, plan of action for 2020...
    1. Set up / allocate accounts for pets, cars, present fund and the all important emergency fund.
    2. I’ve worked out estimated annual spends on the above and will pay 1/12 of it into each account on a monthly basis.
    3. Aim to get EF to £1k by end of March at the latest. I’ve allocated £100 per month for this, but will also use the two council tax free months and any eBay sales to boost it to try and make March’s target.
    4. Once EF is ‘full’ divert the £100 per month to debt repayments.

I’ve mapped out 3 year, 2.5 year and 2 year repayment plans. My ideal is 2.5 years. We really need to knuckle down and address this head on. At the minute it looks as though we’re going to finish the year with almost the same amount of debt as we started it with. This is really frustrating and disheartening especially as it seems to occupy my thoughts pretty much 24/7.

Anyhow, enough doom and gloom and woe is me........
    I’m just in the middle of decluttering DS toys. Help me please!!! He has a ridiculous amount of plastic [STRIKE]tat[/STRIKE] treasure! Hoping to sell some of the better bits via fb or eBay and raise some Christmas funds. Wish me luck :rotfl:
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good luck with the toys! I feel your pain. I did tell the kids the other day we didn't have room for any new toys so they'd have to think about whether there was anything they don't want any more.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Millyno
    Options
    Crikey what a journey, just read yr whole thread.
    Being in debt is like putting on weight, sometimes you just think, well i am already overweight, another slice of cake won't matter, but then when you are motivated you think, yes it will matter... i will have to work harder in the future so you manage to say no. You hve definitely turned a corner, you do of course have bad days for spending inevitably... but you are right back on track again, well done!
    My tip for xmas is realising with kids it is the opening and the pile of presents that is important not really the contents esp if you have other family members spoiling the kids. We use local car boot sales for nearly new bargains... a pre schooler doesnt notice, and wrap new pants and socks (essentials they need anyway). Granny would always get the kids new PJs or ask me what they needed clothes wise... and that wld be one more wrapped up gift (she would spoil them with toys too). Do an audit of DS gifts closer to xmas and anything you can in fact salvage for the present drawer, do.
    Also, we always save xmas wrapping paper and use it for wrapping the xmas stocking fillers (we tell the kids santa is worried about the envuronment :) it jyst goes in the loft with the xmas decorations ea year.
    Love the idea of book people party bag /book. We all hate the tat!!
    Cars, pets, kids.... love em but they make budgeting hard!! Well done and keep it up
  • seahorsey
    seahorsey Posts: 203 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Jwil - I’m about half way through, it’s a big job :rotfl:

Millyno - gold star for reading the whole lot, I hope you didn’t get too bored! The journey is feeling like one big circle at the moment!

I’ve been awol again. Not been a great couple of weeks financially with lots of curve balls thrown at us :mad: The good news.... my car passed its MOT and OHs new job has been confirmed at long last. The not so good OH ran over a nail resulting in 2 new tyres, boiler needs replacing ASAP (and no funds to do so) and roof needs work :mad: So it looks like things are going to get worse before they get better :cool: at least I don’t need a new car ........ yet!

So really need to knuckle down. As the big out goings (utilities, insurance, mobiles etc) are all as cheap as they can be for now, I’m going to need to focus on the little things to start freeing up a bit of cash.
    I’ve managed to get the woofs meds on prescription so I can order online. £36 a month online as opposed to £60 via the vets. I did get charged for the vets writing the prescription though (£18 per dog for a 6 month prescription :eek:) so saving £18 ish a month, plus the 45 minutes round trip to collect!
    Love 2 shop vouchers from TCB have crossed another couple of Xmas pressies off the list. OH is due some over time which I’m hoping will go along way to sorting the remainder of Christmas - not going overboard this year.
    My phone will be going on sim only after the next 2 bills (OH already switched) - should save £30 a month.
    I’ve prepaid my prescription charges - have 2 items a month so this is saving me at least £10 ish per month.

Got a load of toys to pop on fb / eBay so will get those on over the coming weeks.

I’ve worked out that OH pay rise should be in the region of £200 a month so in the short term this will be swallowed paying for the boiler etc but will be a massive help.

Right best get on - Friday at last!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sounds like you've made a lot of great changes there, hopefully once the boiler is out the way, you'll start seeing some positive changes to your available funds! :)
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi - it sounds like you've had a few setbacks. I think the one thing to hold onto is that they were coming your way anyway - and that you are still in a better place than you would have been if you hadn't been actively paying off debt.

Have a good weekend.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • seahorsey
    Options
    Good morning! Been awol with my head buried firmly in the sand for a couple of weeks but feel a bit better equipped mentally now to start dealing with things head on. So I’m back!

Boiler money has been split between 2 credit cards, but with OH pay rise the aim is to clear ASAP. It was always going to need doing sooner rather than later - in an ideal world the money would have been saved up front but never mind - it is what it is now, just need to get on with it.......

DS birthday has been and gone, no more family birthdays til next year now so time to get Christmas sorted. I had a 20% off code for Halfords so have bought a bike for DS for £78 - very pleased with that. He’ll get a few smaller stocking fillers and some practical bits such as pjs etc so he’s not far off being done. Just have parents and sister and bro in law left to sort now so not far off.

Right not really got much to say as the line has been drawn and once again this is day 1.

Time to make a few changes.......
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Welcome back, you're going to smash it. ;)
  • seahorsey
    Options
    Thanks Moguline - I’m certainly going to try......

Not much to report financially -12 days and counting until payday, just trying to keep the ship afloat!

Still not fully got to grips with my two free mornings. The plan was to use one for house work and the other for exercise / me time. As yet it’s not worked out that way, had so many other things to sort and errands to run. We’ll get there.......

In other news, I’ve joined my local library and discovered BorrowBox. A nice free alternative to Amazon and audible. Granted it doesn’t have as much selection, but certainly beats paying £7.99 a month or £4-7 on an kindle book. I’m hoping it’ll encourage me to read more.

Right, best get on - have a great day x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport