Amazon echo 2nd generation

Options
Has anyone bought this new one. Looking at some reviews the sound quality seems to be terrible. I am sure members here know it has been reduced in Black Friday deals to £69 and I was tempted to buy it but the seemingly poor sound is putting me off. I have already got the dot and it is also reduced. So don't know if I would be better getting another dot while down in price. Can any one give me some advice?
Thank you.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just bought one and the sound is excellent, it updated the firmware as soon as i installed it and that appears to be the key.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• capital0ne
    Options
    Do you really want a device in your home storing every word you say, comment you make, your views on things to be analysed and reported on?
    Answer yes and I guess you're okay with the governments snoopers charter.
  • Debbie_Savard
    Debbie_Savard Posts: 430 Forumite
    edited 18 November 2017 at 7:59PM
    Options
    The sound quality is fine, on a par with the original Echo, like a high-quality radio.

But be realistic, it's the size of a can of soup so it's not going to shake the foundations at rave party.
  • mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    We have 2nd gen dot & echo - the echo sounds much better than the dot imho. Ours also did the firmware upgrade straight away so maybe they have solved the issue via that?

Interestingly Amazon were/are out of stock of the echo - Argos have them in for the same price so I got it from there. Might be easier to return if you’re disappointed with the sound?
  • forgotmyname
    Options
    Amazon did show a few days for delivery but it arrived on Friday, which was before the expected date.

• pink_boots
    Options
    Thank you everyone for getting back to me. Your replies are very helpful. I am going to get one while on offer and try it out. It maybe that the reviews were based on the older software. If not happy with it can always return it. At 66 I doubt I will have any rave ups. Would probably break a hip. 😄 Thanks again. p b.
  • forgotmyname
    Options
    First gripe is the allrecipe skill doesnt seem to work in the UK.

• pink_boots
    Options
    capital0ne wrote: »
    Do you really want a device in your home storing every word you say, comment you make, your views on things to be analysed and reported on?
    Answer yes and I guess you're okay with the governments snoopers charter.

I am going blind and only going to play music but the main reason is to listen to my audio books.
  • Debbie_Savard
    Options
    My mother has seriously impaired vision and she finds the spoken commands to the Echo very helpful.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am thinking of getting a second dot for upstairs whilst they are on offer.

My current one is gen1, will I notice any difference with gen2?

I also see they have an offer of a smart plug for £10 if buying a dot, if I decide to get the dot would it be worth me getting a plug at that price as well?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure