Free nest or similar anywhere?

Options

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    If you really want Nest, then why not just buy it and get it installed? This would allow you to choose the best value energy tariff(s) for your needs, rather than looking for one with a free smart thermostat. Nest charge £279 with installation, or you could buy one for £170 from Amazon and find an independent installer (Nest will give you a long list of local installers https://nest.com/uk/nest-pro-installation/?from-footer=true). If you contact some installers to get a price before buying the unit, then you can make a decision on the best route (although it will probably be cheaper to source the thermostat and installation separately).

Why would you pay for installation it's only a couple of wires and comes with very comprehensive instructions!.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    Why would you pay for installation it's only a couple of wires and comes with very comprehensive instructions!.

Because not everyone has the confidence to do it themselves. I didn't say that I would pay for installation, but I don't assume that everyone has the same confidence level as me.
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    If the heating is on a timer and you don't come home at the same time each day then you are wasting energy by having the heating on when your not home. Also if you prefer different temperatures at different times of the day (such as when sleeping) then the smart thermostats are easier to set this (and some learn this and apply it automatically).

The benefits of smart thermostats are that you can have your home at the temperature you want at all times as energy efficiently as possible because it's doesn't waste energy by being on when your not there.
    Bull shine. I leave home to go to the mill at 7:10 am give or take five minutes. I get home between 5 and half past every day. My thermostat does the rest without mt having to be tracked, paying for the privilege.

Also, having my heating on 24/7 keeps my home free of condensate. The cavity wall insulation has reduce my consumption by about 15% on top.
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Because not everyone has the confidence to do it themselves. I didn't say that I would pay for installation, but I don't assume that everyone has the same confidence level as me.

But you assumed that the OP wouldn't be able to do it themselves and would have to get it installed. You didn't say "You can buy it and install it yourself or get someone to install it"
    Bull shine. I leave home to go to the mill at 7:10 am give or take five minutes. I get home between 5 and half past every day. My thermostat does the rest without mt having to be tracked, paying for the privilege.

Obviously if your leave a boring life with a set routine every single day then you probably wouldn't benefit from it over a timed system. Even if people come home the same time each weekday they usually don't have a set routine on weekends/days off.

If your paranoid about being traced then you would probably have the location on your mobile device turned off and just turn it on yourself when your on you way home.
    Also, having my heating on 24/7 keeps my home free of condensate. The cavity wall insulation has reduce my consumption by about 15% on top.

Having your heating on 24/7 is a massive waste of energy and a properly built house will not have any problems with any period of the heating being turned off.
  • ValiantSon
    Options
    But you assumed that the OP wouldn't be able to do it themselves and would have to get it installed. You didn't say "You can buy it and install it yourself or get someone to install it"

I can't be bothered arguing with you about this. All you appear to post are argumentative, rather than helpful, comments.
  • takman wrote: »
    Obviously if your leave a boring life with a set routine every single day then you probably wouldn't benefit from it over a timed system. Even if people come home the same time each weekday they usually don't have a set routine on weekends/days off.
    I don't have a set routine at weekends either, but ...
    If your paranoid about being traced then you would probably have the location on your mobile device turned off and just turn it on yourself when your on you way home.
    Just like the tracker at work where adverts by google think I live in Wigan!

Having your heating on 24/7 is a massive waste of energy and a properly built house will not have any problems with any period of the heating being turned off.
    My heating uses now 11,000kWh per year after the cavity wall insulation was done last December, down from 12,500 before. My CH in cold days comes on around 5:30 to bring up temp in the morning from 14C to 18C very efficiently, then cools again. Then it raised from 12C to 18 at 5 in the evening. using far less energy that coming from 6C and banging away never reaching 21C.

Neighbour with similar property uses far more than me, and she keeps her CH turned off to save money! last year her gas was 18,000 kWh for a cold house!
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't have a set routine at weekends either, but ...

Just like the tracker at work where adverts by google think I live in Wigan!

My heating uses now 11,000kWh per year after the cavity wall insulation was done last December, down from 12,500 before. My CH in cold days comes on around 5:30 to bring up temp in the morning from 14C to 18C very efficiently, then cools again. Then it raised from 12C to 18 at 5 in the evening. using far less energy that coming from 6C and banging away never reaching 21C.

Neighbour with similar property uses far more than me, and she keeps her CH turned off to save money! last year her gas was 18,000 kWh for a cold house!

When the weather gets a bit colder you should do a test; take a gas reading on a Monday morning and then keep the heating on as you do now then take another reading the next Monday.
    The next week you should set the timer so the heating turns off for periods when your not home and do this for a week and take another reading.

Unless your home all the time i bet there will be a reduction in your gas usage by turning it off completely when you don't need it.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There seem to be people who think you are forced to have one of these devices, be it hive, Nest or something else.
    I'm sure it does not suit everyone and if you don't believe it will give you more convenience or save money then you would be foolish to have one. For me it does have advantages because my pattern is not so regular and I don't leave the heating on all the time. Even if I did I might prefer to turn it up an hour or so before I reached home. Other devices are being added so it can now control lights, alarms etc. I think this will become more common as time goes on.
    For those who want to rage against the machine or worry about Government knowing where you are please feel free. Each year that goes past will make you more dinosaur like.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My gas bill is around £350+

I think the thermostats are ~£300 nearly a years worth of gas!!!!

Unless the thermostat never turned the heating on, it could take a while to pay off! A smart meter is more likely to save me money lol
  • ValiantSon
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    My gas bill is around £350+

I think the thermostats are ~£300 nearly a years worth of gas!!!!

Unless the thermostat never turned the heating on, it could take a while to pay off! A smart meter is more likely to save me money lol

A smart meter never has, and never will, save anyone any money. Reducing usage saves people money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure