Free nest or similar anywhere?

Options
kinny999
kinny999 Posts: 26 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Evening all,

IM just searching through quidco and here prior to moving supplier as our 2 year deal has just expired, is any body aware of any energy suppliers offering free (or heavily subsidised) nest thermostats (or similar) as part of a new customer deal currently?

Had a quick search but could see any threads sticking out.

Much obliged for any replies. :T

John

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No such thing as free. They just add £300 or whatever onto your tarrif over a year. An interest free loan!

Think they are a waste of time myself. A house takes time to warm up. No point turning it on, on your way home and expect a warm house 15 mins later
  • kinny999
    Options
    Thank for your opinion Andy.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You might turn it on more than 15 minutes before you arrive home! I have Hive and it is good at ensuring a warm home on arrival and I imagine nest is as well.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This winter i worked out the cost of the system .
    Then worked out how many times i came home to a cold house and wished i had been able to put the heating on . Almost none was the answer especially as the heating is on a timer anyway .
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    My thermostat keeps my CH on 24/7 365 days a year, and does not track where I am either! I never come home to a cold house, and since my free cavity wall insulation, my consumption has dropped by 2,000kWh!
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    This winter i worked out the cost of the system .
    Then worked out how many times i came home to a cold house and wished i had been able to put the heating on . Almost none was the answer especially as the heating is on a timer anyway .

If the heating is on a timer and you don't come home at the same time each day then you are wasting energy by having the heating on when your not home. Also if you prefer different temperatures at different times of the day (such as when sleeping) then the smart thermostats are easier to set this (and some learn this and apply it automatically).

The benefits of smart thermostats are that you can have your home at the temperature you want at all times as energy efficiently as possible because it's doesn't waste energy by being on when your not there.
  • kinny999
    Options
    While i appreciate everybody telling me why it's not all it's cracked up to be, I would like one for our house for a number of reasons that would make it worthwhile to me and my family, hence my original post.
  • The_Green_Hornet
    Options
    kinny999 wrote: »
    Evening all,

IM just searching through quidco and here prior to moving supplier as our 2 year deal has just expired, is any body aware of any energy suppliers offering free (or heavily subsidised) nest thermostats (or similar) as part of a new customer deal currently?

Had a quick search but could see any threads sticking out.

Much obliged for any replies. :T

John

Green Star Energy has something called a Thermo Saver product which includes a tado Smart Termostat.

http://www.mygreenstarenergy.com/Our-Energy-Tariffs/Thermo-Saver

I don't know much about Green Star Energy, or whether the tariff is cheap/expensive, but I do have a tado Smart Thermostat myself and it does what it says on the tin.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    If you really want Nest, then why not just buy it and get it installed? This would allow you to choose the best value energy tariff(s) for your needs, rather than looking for one with a free smart thermostat. Nest charge £279 with installation, or you could buy one for £170 from Amazon and find an independent installer (Nest will give you a long list of local installers https://nest.com/uk/nest-pro-installation/?from-footer=true). If you contact some installers to get a price before buying the unit, then you can make a decision on the best route (although it will probably be cheaper to source the thermostat and installation separately).
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Green Star Energy has something called a Thermo Saver product which includes a tado Smart Termostat.

http://www.mygreenstarenergy.com/Our-Energy-Tariffs/Thermo-Saver

I don't know much about Green Star Energy, or whether the tariff is cheap/expensive, but I do have a tado Smart Thermostat myself and it does what it says on the tin.

Interesting that you can't get the unit prices or standing charges for this tariff from the website! I tend not to trust companies who hide the cost from me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure