Lap top for secondary school use

Options
My Son has just started secondary school, like everyone else he has been overwhelmed with homework and while his school advised us that he'd been fine using his phone we've found that he ends up using my laptop for most of it.
this is fine but not always convenient so we are thinking of getting his own that'll get him through the next few years.
Doing a bit of research i don't think he needs anything too flash but something with reasonable memory and office applications would be useful.
My laptop is a refurb and its been great, is that the way to go or are there good deals on new out there? £150-£300?
thanks

Comments

• katglasgow
    Options
    thank you for starting this thread I am also looking to buy a laptop for my daughter for secondary school use. She doesn't game so it would be for internet browsing and Microsoft office. Budget of £300. I would appreciate recommendations and am happy to look at reconditioned options.
    Me debt free thanks to MSE :T
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Suitable for schoolwork and general usage; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lenovo-ideapad-330S-14-i3-8130U-4GBRAM-DDR4-2400MHZ-128SSD-FULL-HD-IPS-DISPLAY/133227694774 £200 + £12 postage.

Not too heavy. Adequate screen size, Full HD. Still under original warranty, so you should be able to extend it to a two or three year on-site warranty, directly with Lenovo. Perhaps £25 to extend it to two years or £55 to extend it to three.

Go to; https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/warrantylookup to add the serial number(you'll find that on the machine once it's in your hands) of the device, then to choose the warranty extension.
    Easier to open a Lenovo account just prior to actually paying for the warranty, so that it is easier to keep track of everything.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why a laptop? A desktop machine maybe more cost effective and far easier to replace parts or upgrade as required.

The average laptop is probably used on mains 99% of the time. The battery often doesnt last long enough.

If left on charge with a full battery it could degrade the battery fairly quickly even if you instruct them not to do that. been there (TWICE).
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• johannis
    johannis Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Suitable for schoolwork and general usage; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lenovo-ideapad-330S-14-i3-8130U-4GBRAM-DDR4-2400MHZ-128SSD-FULL-HD-IPS-DISPLAY/133227694774 £200 + £12 postage.

Not too heavy. Adequate screen size, Full HD. Still under original warranty, so you should be able to extend it to a two or three year on-site warranty, directly with Lenovo. Perhaps £25 to extend it to two years or £55 to extend it to three.

Go to; https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/warrantylookup to add the serial number(you'll find that on the machine once it's in your hands) of the device, then to choose the warranty extension.
    Easier to open a Lenovo account just prior to actually paying for the warranty, so that it is easier to keep track of everything.

Thanks, you were very helpful when i got the laptop i'm typing on.
    i was looking at these, nice to have the confirmation.

this may not be your thing, but he'll need some kind of office application, its not a cheap thing and i use the office 365 through work but i find its limited. What do you think of the free alternatives?
  • johannis
    Options
    Why a laptop? A desktop machine maybe more cost effective and far easier to replace parts or upgrade as required.

The average laptop is probably used on mains 99% of the time. The battery often doesnt last long enough.

If left on charge with a full battery it could degrade the battery fairly quickly even if you instruct them not to do that. been there (TWICE).

fair point, but it would be easier for him to have something he could have in different places. Plus we've just spent a considerable amount of time and effort de-cluttering his bedroom.

good point about the battery though, thanks
    (he said as he unplugged his!)
  • johannis
    Options
    marlot wrote: »

My parents have just had a very disappointing chrombook experience, they were already off menu!
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    johannis wrote: »
    fair point, but it would be easier for him to have something he could have in different places. Plus we've just spent a considerable amount of time and effort de-cluttering his bedroom.

good point about the battery though, thanks
    (he said as he unplugged his!)

My laptop remained plugged in for almost ten years and the battery still holds a charge.
    With another laptop, I actually removed the battery and ran in almost exclusively on mains power for many years. Twelve years later, I'm still using the same battery.
    Don't worry too much about leaving the laptop plugged in.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    johannis wrote: »
    Thanks, you were very helpful when i got the laptop i'm typing on.
    i was looking at these, nice to have the confirmation.

this may not be your thing, but he'll need some kind of office application, its not a cheap thing and i use the office 365 through work but i find its limited. What do you think of the free alternatives?

These? There is just one. They are not all the same. This one conforms to very particular set of circumstances and the price is right.
    Schools should be eligible for a cheap office package. I have access to a schools package that allows you to install the full Microsoft Office suite to your device. In fact i can install to up to five devices. So I don't understand why you think your Office suite is limited.
    Perhaps you haven't actually installed the applications to your device?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure