Options

Comments

• wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 December 2018 at 3:06PM
    Options
    Hi

I am moving to a new house which is supplied by Scottish Power on a prepayment meter. I have rung them to ask to change this is to a normal meter. However I have been informed that there policy that I have to be on the current meter for minimum of 14days! I questioned the rates which I was told were quite competitive (only if you are on a prepayment meter!) they are going to charge me 32.04p per day standing charge for a meter I don't want - with my current supplier I only pay 18p per day! The kwh rate is 17.334p for which I currently pay 12.12p! Another example of daylight robbery.

Once I have been with them 14days I can then request to move to a standard meter, which can take approx. 6 weeks to change!!

So I have to be with them 8 weeks paying extortionate rates! And this is there policy which they wont deviate from.
    Their response was I could change to another supplier -But switching takes 28days. So they have me over a barrel.
    Is there no other options??
    I can't believe that this is legal
    Don't I have any rights?
    Any Advice would be good.

So much for customer Service!!!

You can switch supplier in as little as 17 days.
    But whichever supplier you have, they will take time to change your meter to a credit one - if they agree at all.

The tariffs available on PPMs are not the same as those that are offered to credit metered customers, but it is the case that due to the price cap that is already in place for PPM metered customers, these tariffs are usually cheaper than a suppliers standard variable traiff for credit metered customers. (that may change with the impending price cap that will be introduced in January to credit metered customers on such tariffs)

Any frustartion you exhibit in your post towards Scottish Power is not unique to Scottish Power, but reflects how the industry acts as a whole.
  • Stebbo47
    Options
    Well Hengus, you were obviously very lucky with Octopus. They can't help until the mpan number is registered at the correct address. A further discussion with SP following a complaint through 'Resolver' simply suggested I contact the National Data Base directly. I didn't even realize that was possible ! I really can't believe it can be that easy. If it is, why oh why didn't they suggest that after the first or second failed attempt on their part to sort it with the NDA way back last February ?
    Watch this space !
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stebbo47 wrote: »
    Well Hengus, you were obviously very lucky with Octopus. They can't help until the mpan number is registered at the correct address. A further discussion with SP following a complaint through 'Resolver' simply suggested I contact the National Data Base directly. I didn't even realize that was possible ! I really can't believe it can be that easy. If it is, why oh why didn't they suggest that after the first or second failed attempt on their part to sort it with the NDA way back last February ?
    Watch this space !

Sorry that it didn’t work out: I am still having issues with my electricity account. The meter serial number appears to be linked to two suppliers with different Supply Numbers. SP to date have been hopeless. I currently have an ongoing complaint with The EO as SP has been unable to raise a Final Bill because of a switch of suppliers. Today, I received a bill from them for three months consumption. CS has acknowledged that I am not their customer; they have tried to blame Octopus for not providing transfer readings, and they sent the bill to my ESTATE. After nearly an hour on the phone, they have now accepted that I am correct in saying that their account system has been set up incorrectly for my property. The MPAN and Supply Number relate to No 6 and not our plot number 6. They will change the address. I fear that this will result in my meter being allocated to neighbour. I am frustrated because I told them that there was this possibility in September and a month ago a lady from SP came out and logged addresses and meter serial numbers.

I am now sitting on a £253 bill that they say they will block. They have faffed about long enough. Should I get a redlined reminder, I have told them that I will send them a cheque under duress by recorded delivery to protect my credit rating which will be accompanied by a Letter Before Claim.

Out of interest, having spoken to three CS reps today and started my call with ‘ I wish to make a complaint’, the third CS assistant confirmed that neither of her colleagues had recorded a complaint. I sense pressure from the top to get complaint numbers down.
  • Stebbo47
    Options
    And I thought I had a problem ! It seems that the National Data Base can't be contacted directly, which comes as no surprise and Resolver have asked if I'd like them to pursue it. Yes please, for all the good that's likely to do ! In the meantime I'll be contacting "Watchdog" in the vain hope that we're not alone with 'our' complaints against SP. Good luck.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stebbo47 wrote: »
    And I thought I had a problem ! It seems that the National Data Base can't be contacted directly, which comes as no surprise and Resolver have asked if I'd like them to pursue it. Yes please, for all the good that's likely to do ! In the meantime I'll be contacting "Watchdog" in the vain hope that we're not alone with 'our' complaints against SP. Good luck.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/connections-and-moving-home/who-my-gas-or-electricity-supplier

'Say No to 0870' will give you a number to avoid 0870 call charges. Armed with my MPAN and MPRN, I was able to check the actual data held on the two databases. I switched using the - albeit, slightly - incorrect data (for example: the wrong postcode). The database owners will not allow consumers to update their databases: it would be a recipe for even more confusion.

As far as my situation is concerned, I heard on Friday from Octopus that Scottish Power has finally agreed that it is no longer my supplier. I just need to get that in writing from Scottish Power.
  • hybernia
    hybernia Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Out of interest, having spoken to three CS reps today and started my call with ‘ I wish to make a complaint’, the third CS assistant confirmed that neither of her colleagues had recorded a complaint. I sense pressure from the top to get complaint numbers down.

Family members immediately complained to SP about its behaviour in sending out a threatening Final Bill. The complaint was expressed in the first in the email chain that subsequently developed. No notice was taken of that complaint, so a follow-up email of complaint about the first email complaint was sent. No notice was taken of that, either. SP simply didn't want to acknowledge that anyone was complaining about it.

Finally: the complaint was sent by Next Day special delivery to the company's office in (I think) Edinburgh. Only then, with an uncontestable record of delivery and signed acceptance did Scottish Power finally acknowledge receipt of complaint.

I'm not inclined to think of this being "pressure from the top". Rather, it's a specific working practice, put in place by a company which knows exactly what it's doing when facing accusations that it hasn't a clue what it's doing. .
  • TheRennovator
    Options
    Just had an unsolicited negative call from ScottishPower, trying to put me off switching supplier.

We've been on an ScottishPower fixed rate tariff which is due to end 31 January 2019. ScottishPower offered its next best tariff but it was nearly 18% more than our current tariff. I compared like for like energy usage through the energy club and initiated a Switch to a non-fixed rate tariff with Bulb.

Scottish Power just called and to my mind the call was very inappropriate. I understand they want to retain customers and am happy to discuss their best offer but they should not be spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt about switching..

The words in quotes below are the script from the ScottishPower operator and the bit after the dash are my replies:
    - "Switching is difficult and a pain Mrs xxx" - No it isn't I've done it many times before and its easy
    - "You are switching to a variable tariff which could change at any time" - I know and I can leave the new tariff with no exit fee at anytime I see a better deal
    - "Switching takes 6 weeks, so when your new supplier changes tariff you'll pay the higher rate for 6 weeks while you move again" - that's not correct. By law the supplier has to give one months notice of a tariff change, if I initiate on the same day as receiving the one month notice, the higher charge is a maximum of 2 weeks, and chances are I won't pay the higher charge as most companies are processing switches much faster than 6 weeks
    - "I can offer you a great fixed price tariff which you can't get through our website... it's only £7 more per month than you are paying now" - Well, my Bulb deal will be the same as I pay now, albeit not at a fixed rate. With no exit fee I'm happy to pay the same as now and switch again if I need to.
    - ... and the conversation continued in a similar vein

Notably the ScottishPower operator did not attempt to price match the Bulb offer and we disagreed about what Bulb will charge me

ScottishPower should not be using misleading strong arm tactics to get customers to stay.
    Offer an equivalent or better deal and be accurate..

Has anyone else experienced this kind of behaviour?
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Options
    Just had an unsolicited negative call from ScottishPower, trying to put me off switching supplier.

We've been on an ScottishPower fixed rate tariff which is due to end 31 January 2019. ScottishPower offered its next best tariff but it was nearly 18% more than our current tariff. I compared like for like energy usage through the energy club and initiated a Switch to a non-fixed rate tariff with Bulb.

Scottish Power just called and to my mind the call was very inappropriate. I understand they want to retain customers and am happy to discuss their best offer but they should not be spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt about switching..

The words in quotes below are the script from the ScottishPower operator and the bit after the dash are my replies:
    - "Switching is difficult and a pain Mrs xxx" - No it isn't I've done it many times before and its easy
    - "You are switching to a variable tariff which could change at any time" - I know and I can leave the new tariff with no exit fee at anytime I see a better deal
    - "Switching takes 6 weeks, so when your new supplier changes tariff you'll pay the higher rate for 6 weeks while you move again" - that's not correct. By law the supplier has to give one months notice of a tariff change, if I initiate on the same day as receiving the one month notice, the higher charge is a maximum of 2 weeks, and chances are I won't pay the higher charge as most companies are processing switches much faster than 6 weeks
    - "I can offer you a great fixed price tariff which you can't get through our website... it's only £7 more per month than you are paying now" - Well, my Bulb deal will be the same as I pay now, albeit not at a fixed rate. With no exit fee I'm happy to pay the same as now and switch again if I need to.
    - ... and the conversation continued in a similar vein

Notably the ScottishPower operator did not attempt to price match the Bulb offer and we disagreed about what Bulb will charge me

ScottishPower should not be using misleading strong arm tactics to get customers to stay.
    Offer an equivalent or better deal and be accurate..

Has anyone else experienced this kind of behaviour?

Has anyone else experienced this kind of behaviour? Yes - very familiar behaviour on this site ;)

So here's a familar answer too.
    Consult a comparison site and discover for yourself just how much money you could save yourself by switching away from your current supplier :)

... or join the MSE CEC and they will keep you up do date with alerts as and when you can save. :money:
  • Nicholas
    Nicholas Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Cheap Energy Club website shows a cheap(ish) deal to Scottish Power on their supersaver tariff. Sadly, it does not mention that one of the terms is that you are agreeing to have a smart meter fitted. I only found this out when I double checked the same tariff on uSwitch.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nicholas wrote: »
    The Cheap Energy Club website shows a cheap(ish) deal to Scottish Power on their supersaver tariff. Sadly, it does not mention that one of the terms is that you are agreeing to have a smart meter fitted. I only found this out when I double checked the same tariff on uSwitch.

What makes you believe uSwitch is any more correct?

The terms on the SP website say
    3.By signing up to this Tariff you areregistering your interest for a smart meter. This means ScottishPower, or an installer working on ScottishPower’s behalf, may contact you in the future to discuss a smart meter installation as and when you become eligible

Nothing about that you are agreeing to have a smart meter fitted
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure