Pet Insurance guide discussion area

Options

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Vet excess means the amount you pay per claim before the insurance kicks in.

Post #347 is a good explanation of the various types.

Cattery fees mean what the insurance company will pay, and under what circumstances, if you need to put the cats into a cattery.

PetPlan is generally the recommended insurer, visit their website, download and read the various documents (which will include a glossary) such as the full policy terms & conditions.
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    Has anyone taken a policy out with Leisure Guard? It's listed on this site, so am assuming it must be relatively ok.

I currently hold a policy with Petplan, but the monthly payments have risen along with the excess I have to pay.

Leisure Guard is coming out better priced for what appears to be the same coverage.

I've just had my renewal docs from Petplan, and have decided to shop around. Just wondered if anyone has any experience with Leisure Guard before.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This product is underwritten and administered by The Equine and Livestock Insurance Company Limited © 2017, Thorpe

Don't touch them.
    E& L have a reputation of wriggling out of paying out with the smallest excuse.

Before changing companies, has you pet had any illness or condition, even if your vet did not prescribe any treatment/ if so it will be excluded from cover and anything arising at a later date, tehat can be connected to it, will be excluded.
    There are some companies that will lift the exclusion after a set time, often 2 years, with the condition recurring or needing treatment. You need to check this before taking out the policy.
  • PhiltheBear
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    This product is underwritten and administered by The Equine and Livestock Insurance Company Limited © 2017, Thorpe

Don't touch them.
    E& L have a reputation of wriggling out of paying out with the smallest excuse.

Precisely. They appear to keep trying to flog their products under new names. Not to be touched with a disinfected 40ft bargepole.
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

I didn't go with that company in the end, but I made a huge blunder. I contacted Petplan who have been my insurer for a number of years. I made the stupid mistake of cancelling the policy before I found another one. Totally foolish of me I know. Now I'm hoping that they will reinstate the policy I had, otherwise I doubt I'll get cover because my dog is about 12 years old.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

I didn't go with that company in the end, but I made a huge blunder. I contacted Petplan who have been my insurer for a number of years. I made the stupid mistake of cancelling the policy before I found another one. Totally foolish of me I know. Now I'm hoping that they will reinstate the policy I had, otherwise I doubt I'll get cover because my dog is about 12 years old.

I insured my old boy with Tesco but they hiked the premiums the second year so changed to Morethan. He does not have any previous exclusions apart from one that occurred before I took out any insurance so has always been excluded but not a problem.

You won't get the cover you had with Petplan but if the policy is cheaper you could put extra away to cover anything extra needed.

I decided less cover was adequate for an older dog as there is a limit to what I would out him through.
  • trevjl
    trevjl Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have just received my renewal from Co-Op and it has gone up by £4.50 to £26.85 a month for my two 3 year old Springers. It was for a 2K 12 month policy. There has been no claims and there were pre existing which was excluded and nothing new since. I made a mistake last year, as i thought i had lifetime cover, so I am looking for that now. I have found £2K each dog, lifetime cover with Lifetime Pet Cover for only £18.54 or £4k each dog for £30. I suppose my question is - anyone heard or used them as they are new to me.
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    I insured my old boy with Tesco but they hiked the premiums the second year so changed to Morethan. He does not have any previous exclusions apart from one that occurred before I took out any insurance so has always been excluded but not a problem.

You won't get the cover you had with Petplan but if the policy is cheaper you could put extra away to cover anything extra needed.

I decided less cover was adequate for an older dog as there is a limit to what I would out him through.

Thanks for the reply. I did get the insurance sorted with Petplan fortunately. Although I will have a look at morethan and see what they offer.
  • annie_cardiff
    Options
    Just browsing through the dog insurance co webpage and came across 2 companies i have never heard of before Vets medi cover and Healthy pets....has anyone had any experience of either :)
  • PhiltheBear
    Options
    Just browsing through the dog insurance co webpage and came across 2 companies i have never heard of before Vets medi cover and Healthy pets....has anyone had any experience of either :)

Yes. VetsMediCover took on a dog we had that had no previous vet history in this country and he was 7 years old. He's had various problems but they've always paid out and been very good.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback