Pet Insurance guide discussion area

Options

Comments

• wadbanage
    Options
    I have just spent several hours trying to find out what is a reasonable cost for insurance for my 2.25 yr old male Cockerpoo. He has no medical problems and is currently insured with Petplan under their 'Petplan Classic' policy.

The renewal is nearly £400 for his 3rd year of continuous cover, I have been searching using the methods recommended here but even for other Lifetime policies my Petplan cover seems very very expensive, e.g. with Compare the Market and limiting to lifetime policies only i get quotes from £73 to £339 pa and even the most expensive is £60 less than PetPlan..

Are Petplan ripping me off or am I missing something about their cover? I want cover with a good provider but there seem to be a bewildering number with a huge variation in price.

Can anyone recommend a few gold standard providers that I can use for more detailed investigation. Also any idea of what a reasonable annual premium for a 2.25 Cockerpoo should be?
  • PhiltheBear
    Options
    The simple fact is that Pet Plan ARE the Gold Standard. You will seldom, if ever, get a query on a claim unlike many of the others. And some of those 'lifetime' policies aren't genuinely lifetime, they are just marketed as that. Have a look at https://www.doginsurancecompare.co.uk which only shows policies from companies that are ethical in the way they work with customers (and it ignores the cost of policies unlike most comparison sites). If you think Pet Plan is too expensive you can get the same policy with less cover via the Co-op (it's just rebranded with a lesser amount payable).
  • Emmaaar22
    Emmaaar22 Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We are wanting to switch insurers for my dog Millie. She`s about 8 years old I think maybe more, but we are looking for a insurer that covers the basics like accidental damage, vet fees, theft etc. She has no illness or anything, she`s had a few accidents but I don`t think they affect the new policy? I believe they are all paid for, despite having trouble with the insurer who took their time paying out but I think it`s covered now.

I`ve just checked Petplan and turns out she is too old, what would be the next best thing? We have a policy with Asda but they keep hiking the price up so we are looking for something slightly cheaper, that covers everything.

Thank you
    2017 Wins - Coco Pops, £100 Amazon voucher, Elf T-shirt, £250 Zalando Voucher and £250 FeelUnique Voucher, private gig concerts
    2018 Wins - Steep xbox game, 2 tangle teezer, Contagion Book, JC Annual, water sports bottle, 10p, 2 cricket tickets, can of fizz, 10p, Ribenia, Johnson baby products
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just got the most expensive policy available with More Than (including all extras) for my 3 year old rescue dog

It was £13 a month direct debit interest free

£60 cashback from Quidco to look forward to
  • murphydog999
    Options
    Sorry if this has been covered in the previous pages, I've gone back quite a few and not found a reference.

My cats policy with Animal Friends has - for the first time, because she is now 10 - included a 20% 'co-payment', payable on every claim - no other detail.

Has anyone with older animals and policies with other companies got this?
  • PhiltheBear
    Options
    Most companies start adding a 'co-payment' at about 8 years of age.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,611 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry if this has been covered in the previous pages, I've gone back quite a few and not found a reference.

My cats policy with Animal Friends has - for the first time, because she is now 10 - included a 20% 'co-payment', payable on every claim - no other detail.

Has anyone with older animals and policies with other companies got this?

I'm with PetPlan and have this for my 12yo cat.
  • Laraine31
    Laraine31 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm just looking to move my dog's lifetime policy. He is 6 years old and he has no pre-existing conditions of any type. The policy with L&G is massively cheaper but just seeing if anyone has any experience with them? I can't find many reviews on their pet insurance. Many thanks.
  • toshkininny
    toshkininny Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, any good deal out there at the moment for lifetime policy for dogs? Any hidden gems?! Thank you all.
  • martyp
    martyp Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,
    I've been with Petplan since I bought my cat in 2010 (she turned 8 in February). It's a Bengal cross and I've never made a claim, she's got Covered4Life Classic cover and it's just increased from £19 a month to £22. With a couple of other recent constraints on my income I'm considering other options.
    Animal Friends didn't seem to have great feedback about 5 years or so ago but recently it looks as though Petplan are getting more negative feedback and Animal Friends are winning awards. I know Petplan are considered the biggest possibly but might not be the best maybe?
    Also MoreThan and Argos/Sainsburys seem to get good reviews.
    A similar Animal Friends policy (Superior Plus) I had quoted was £10 a month cheaper than Petplan.
    Morethan also offer £75 cashback...
    Would really appreciate any advice or feedback at all as of course my cat is very precious but if I can get the same level of cover for a good if not better source I could really do with the savings.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback