PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• smeeth
    smeeth Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kittie do you mind sharing which self-heating meals you keep please? Thank you.

Deep frost here this morning, even direct sunlight isn't having much impact.
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!:beer:
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Kittie I'd get a good camping stove if I was in your situation - sometimes you desperately need hot tea and soup. I got a calor gas full size cooker which cost a wee bit more, but for me here, it was a must.
  • mardatha
    Options
    We can live comfortably here without electric, the only niggle would be hand washing big items like sheets, and not having the internet.
  • Living_proof
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    We can live comfortably here without electric, the only niggle would be hand washing big items like sheets, and not having the internet.

Niggle? I would be raging! Particularly as on a nice sunny day like today my solar panels will be belting out power direct to the Grid.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Living_proof
    Options
    Actually I feel quite fortunate in having any power at all really. I am one of the 160,000 homes signed up to GB Energy who went bust over the weekend. Not only did I have to pay an early opt out fee to my previous fixed rate supplier, but I also have around £200 credit balance with GB and once the whole thing is sorted out I will have to find another supplier but meanwhile prices have gone up around 20%. I am not bothering to turn off to many lights at the moment to be honest!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • mardatha
    Options
    That's a shame LP, hard on you xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Actually I feel quite fortunate in having any power at all really. I am one of the 160,000 homes signed up to GB Energy who went bust over the weekend. Not only did I have to pay an early opt out fee to my previous fixed rate supplier, but I also have around £200 credit balance with GB and once the whole thing is sorted out I will have to find another supplier but meanwhile prices have gone up around 20%. I am not bothering to turn off to many lights at the moment to be honest!
    LP slow down. I heard yesterday that any balance will be transferred to the new company. You won`t even have to find a supplier, it will be done seamlessly by ofgem
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Kittie I'd get a good camping stove if I was in your situation - sometimes you desperately need hot tea and soup. I got a calor gas full size cooker which cost a wee bit more, but for me here, it was a must.

got the stove and gas but it has to be used outside, so will do fine if power outages are prolonged

smeeth I just found the self heating meals by googling. I only ordered a box of six and no idea what they are like
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 29 November 2016 at 7:45PM
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    ... I just found the self heating meals by googling. I only ordered a box of six and no idea what they are like

If they're the ones from Hotpack Meals, they're blummin marvellous when you're cold and hungry! Do make sure you follow the destructions properly though: it's best to have a "dry run" first, so you can see how it works.

And don't forget when the SHTF, you've got ten minutes of warmth available while your meal's heating, and then a good ten more if you plan ahead what you're going to do with the heater bag once your grub's ready to scoff.

PS Probably best not to look at the number of calories per meal :cool:
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    si clist, thanks for that info
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family