Apple Pay in Asda/Lidl

Options

Comments

• knack92
    knack92 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    If you attempt to make a contactless transaction over the upper limit the terminal asks for the PIN. In that case it's not a contactless transaction but a chip and PIN transaction. There is thus no such thing as contactless+PIN. It's either contactless or chip n pin. As has been exhaustively explained Apple Pay circumvents that.

It's only as secure as the card and PIN or in the case of contactless the card itself or in the case of mobile payments the mobile device.

The point was that contactless+pin is a thing in other countries for payments over their limit. While the UK reverts to chip+pin, both have the same level of security.

Putting that aside - all Apple Pay mobile device payments have authentication as secure or more secure than a four digit pin. I think this has been exhaustively explained and we’ll have to agree to disagree.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    You posted almost exactly what I posted which means that you agree with me. It's not me who is saying there is a lower limit, it's the OP. Perhaps if you read through this thread it might be constructive.

My other main point is that Apple Pay circumvents the contactless upper limit which is £30 when I last looked. That upper contactless limit is there for a purpose and that purpose is to limit loss. Those who agree with that upper limit being circumvented probably deserve to be defrauded.

Oh yes I use Apple Pay too. But I don't leave my wallet at home because there are those times when Apple Pay doesn't work and that as far as I can see is due to retailer error. In short, always have a back-up.

No - no i didnt and no i dont ..

You are reading the OP as if it is talking about a £30 lower limit - which is not the case.

I suggest YOU need to read the OP that you have quoted again

And no security features are being circumvented .. There are EXTRA security features in that you need to authenticate with biometrics - hence less need for any kind of upper limit
  • venomx
    venomx Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Anybody know wether they will accept over £30 in future ( Asda) ?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    venomx wrote: »
    Anybody know wether they will accept over £30 in future ( Asda) ?

Who knows? Define 'the future'.
    The tills in my local have just been upgraded and show contactless up to £30.
  • venomx
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Who knows? Define 'the future'.
    The tills in my local have just been upgraded and show contactless up to £30.

In the next 3 months ?:j
  • custardy
    Options
    In the next 3 months ?:j

Once again,who would know?
    Do you see Asda losing sales for not offering it? I doubt its many.
  • venomx
    Options
    If I try Apple Pay on over £30 And it gets declined can it freeze my bank account ?
  • knack92
    knack92 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I try Apple Pay on over £30 And it gets declined can it freeze my bank account ?
    No it won’t.
  • venomx
    Options
    If i want to use over £30 via apple pay at lidl/aldi, when i come to the checkout do i just say " I want to pay via card " or should i say " want to pay via apple pay " ?
  • custardy
    Options
    If i want to use over £30 via apple pay at lidl/aldi, when i come to the checkout do i just say " I want to pay via card " or should i say " want to pay via apple pay " ?

seriously. How many questions can you ask on this?
    Its a contactless payment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport