Policeman rear ended me at a junction and wrote off my car

Options

Comments

• trailingspouse
    Options
    Why aren't you claiming for the whiplash?

I know there is a lot in the press about 'so-called whiplash' - but the important phrase there is 'so-called'. You've got actual whiplash, which is nasty - I was hit from behind in what was otherwise a fairly minor crash, and had pain in my neck for a good 3 or 4 years. And yes, I claimed against the other driver.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't really see any wrong doing by the police, there was an allegation of assault with they investigated.

Those of you commenting upon this have completely taken the Police side of the matter. I'll take your comments and explain why they are misplaced (kind word for it!)
    *They picked me at random, I thought, until years later when I was informed by a young copper who left the force after another, similar event, that it was because (a) I was a soldier and (b) because the "victim" of the "attack" had an issue with my brother. As my brother was miles away, the "victim" named me, simply to get at my brother. The "victim" was probably drunk, by the way: he was an alcoholic.
    *I was not drunk: I had spent the day at first with a gf, then my mates at a local cinema. In the club later, I had just 2 pints. I was an Army football player and distance runner, which I loved and did not want to compromise my fitness. I even trained whilst on leave.
    *My dad just wanted to tell the police what my mates had told him: that I was not in the vicinity of the "victim" at the time of the fictitious "attack"
    *The police would not listen to either dad or the witnesses, took no statements or details. Had they done so, they would have realised that I was innocent. They just wanted to arrest someone.

If these police officers were innocent of any wrongdoing, why did 2 detectives come to my house next day to apologise? And why did I receive a written apology from the Chief Constable?
    My dad told the detectives he wanted to support me in a civil case of Wrongful Arrest, but I just wanted to get on with my life.

I note that none of you commented upon the second story. You are part of that section of the people who believe that the police can do no wrong. Well, you are wrong. I know and believe that the vast majority of coppers are fine, just doing their challenging jobs, but there is a minority who are not like that. If ever something like these events happen to you, you may find that out yourselves. Or if you happen to be black and driving in a British city...
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    Those of you commenting upon this have completely taken the Police side of the matter. I'll take your comments and explain why they are misplaced (kind word for it!)
    *They picked me at random, No, you were named as the offender. I thought, until years later when I was informed by a young copper who left the force after another, similar event, that it was because (a) I was a soldier and (b) because the "victim" of the "attack" had an issue with my brother. As my brother was miles away, the "victim" named me, simply to get at my brother. The "victim" was probably drunk, by the way: he was an alcoholic.
    *I was not drunk: a young soldier out on the lash and not drunk. BS.I had spent the day at first with a gf, then my mates at a local cinema. In the club later, I had just 2 pints. I was an Army football player and distance runner, which I loved and did not want to compromise my fitness. I even trained whilst on leave.
    *My dad just wanted to tell the police what my mates had told him: that I was not in the vicinity of the "victim" at the time of the fictitious "attack"So hearsay evidence. He had nothing to do with the investigation, had nothing to add evidentially and was interfering.
    *The police would not listen to either dad or the witnesses, took no statements or details. Had they done so, they would have realised that I was innocent. They just wanted to arrest someone.

If these police officers were innocent of any wrongdoing, why did 2 detectives come to my house next day to apologise? And why did I receive a written apology from the Chief Constable? I smell bulls!t.
    My dad told the detectives he wanted to support me in a civil case of Wrongful Arrest, but I just wanted to get on with my life.

I note that none of you commented upon the second story. You are part of that section of the people who believe that the police can do no wrong. Well, you are wrong. I know and believe that the vast majority of coppers are fine, just doing their challenging jobs, but there is a minority who are not like that. If ever something like these events happen to you, you may find that out yourselves. Or if you happen to be black and driving in a British city...:rotfl:

You're a story teller and you stories must be told.
  • Mercdriver
    Options
    I love how posters are making generalised comments in relation to the whole of the police force based on isolated incidents.

Bit like saying all scousers are thieves really...

And no I'm not related to or friends with ANY serving policeman.
  • Mercdriver wrote: »
    I love how posters are making generalised comments in relation to the whole of the police force based on isolated incidents.

Bit like saying all scousers are thieves really...

And no I'm not related to or friends with ANY serving policeman.

In every Profession there are good and bad, but Human Nature seems to be to remember and highlight the bad
    Probably not helped by certain posters who support the police no matter what and never give a straight answer when asked rather they give one line and cryptic answers despite trying to present themselves as part of the Service
    Sad but true other posters on here give more in depth and reasonable responses without coming across as an ITK

It`s also interesting how many times these posters get banned and return
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    The problem is, as put above, but it always sours the 'victims' view of the police. I am in no doubt that a lot of the police are good honest people. They are, however, the ones who are simply doing their job. Being honest and well meaning is part of the job. Hence you have to focus on the corrupt side of the force, because they are the ones bringing it into disrepute.

I have to admit, my view of the police is a dim one and I have to be somewhat careful of what I write because the case I speak in reference to, actually went to court etc.

The problem is that if it was just one or two bobbies, rogue officers so to speak, it's a little easier to stomach.... but when you hear the numbers and they start to rise, you begin to worry that something very bad is going on behind the scenes.

When I use the term 'system of corruption', I mean that in the case I speak of, I witnessed, what I believe most would consider corruption in higher and lower areas of the police. Unacceptable, and has tarnished my view of them for life.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    *They picked me at random, I thought, until years later when I was informed by a young copper who left the force after another, similar event, that it was because (a) I was a soldier - no it wasn't and (b) because the "victim" of the "attack" had an issue with my brother. As my brother was miles away, the "victim" named me - so you were the alleged in the matter and you had been named! , simply to get at my brother. The "victim" was probably drunk, by the way: he was an alcoholic.
    *I was not drunk: I had spent the day at first with a gf, then my mates at a local cinema. In the club later, I had just 2 pints. I was an Army football player and distance runner, which I loved and did not want to compromise my fitness. I even trained whilst on leave. - irrelevant. They thought you were an aggressive and violent person
    *My dad just wanted to tell the police what my mates had told him: that I was not in the vicinity of the "victim" at the time of the fictitious "attack" - irrelevant. that is what the investigation is for!!
    *The police would not listen to either dad or the witnesses, took no statements or details. Had they done so, they would have realised that I was innocent. They just wanted to arrest someone. - and then they let you go.....

If these police officers were innocent of any wrongdoing, why did 2 detectives come to my house next day to apologise?-because it's the right thing to do? And why did I receive a written apology from the Chief Constable? because it's the right thing to do?
    My dad told the detectives he wanted to support me in a civil case of Wrongful Arrest, but I just wanted to get on with my life. - but you weren't wrongfully arrested. It was not mistaken identity for example.

I note that none of you commented upon the second story. You are part of that section of the people who believe that the police can do no wrong. - nope. I've been wrongfully arrested. As in genuinely wrongfully. But you know what I did? I cooperated with the police, there was no need for handcuffs and when in front of the custody sergeant I explained calmly why the arrest was unlawful. 20 minutes later, with 2 PCs, 2 Sgts and 1 Insp - they all came to the same conclusion - I was right. Well, you are wrong. I know and believe that the vast majority of coppers are fine, just doing their challenging jobs, but there is a minority who are not like that. If ever something like these events happen to you, you may find that out yourselves. Or if you happen to be black and driving in a British city...
    Oh the race card.......
  • Retrogamer
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Ah so it's ok to do 100mph if you're a copper. The privileged gang

Well to be fair, the woman was still at fault somewhat.
    She either looked in the mirror but not long enough to judge the approaching speed, but decided to pull out anyway or she looked in the mirror, seen they were approaching rapidly and decided to pull out anyway.

Neither is safe.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Ah so it's ok to do 100mph if you're a copper. The privileged gang

Kaya wrote "a friend was rear ended by an unmarked police car when she changed lanes the police were doing over 100mph"

So the only evidence of the police car's speed comes from a driver who either (a) didn't see it, or (b) saw it, but was unable to judge the speed. Not the sort of witness you want on your side.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure