Ford Mondeo Enigine Management Lights ALL On HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Go back one stage to motoring homepage, big blue button near top left with clue written on it, New Thread:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Doodles22
    Doodles22 Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

After compo has now been sorted today I am now able to update you as to why the ABS, Traction control and handbrake came on and are still currently on.

As some of you maybe aware, last month for my car to pass its MOT it needed to new shockers on the rear of my Ford Mondeo.
    I rang around and foun one of the best prices was KWIK FIT, charging me only £200 inc VAT to replace both rear shockers.

The job was carried out a three weeks ago, and after Re-Test it passed it's MOT with flying colours and no advises.

However, BOTH speed/ABS sensors mounted on the rear hubs were NOT clipped back in after the job was done, KWIK FIT had emoved them while changing the shocks and the job WAS NOT checked after it was completed by the manager as it should have been.

The wire had been rubbing for the best part of two weeks against the tyre and has worn/melted through the cable, causing it to short and feed back a fault to the ECU.

I have had to get a garage to inspect the shocks aswell to see if they have been fitted correctly, which they confirm they have been.
    They also confirm as a direct result of KWIK FIT not re clipping the cable back into the under body of the car it has caused the wire to become damaged rubbing against the tyre, they gave me a written letter confirming such stating the damage was as a result of the cables not being re clipped; I'm lucky my garage did this for me and got involved.

I had to pay £70 inc VAT for the rear shocks to be inspected, find the cause of the management lights being on and to get written evidence.
    I then took the car back to KWIK FIT and had ready to hand Trading Standards and the local press's telephone numbers and requestde to see the manager.
    I explained it all at first and was told they didn't accept it was them, but after telling them I was about to contact Trading Standards and the press they soon backed down looking under the car and stating they must hve forgotton to re clip them.

They told me they would get two new sensors and fit them for me, I refused this offer as I don't trust them and requested them to pay the invoice to my garage for the work to be carried out by them, they refused as they said they would put the fault right.

After some talk, we came to the choice they would get me two replacement rear wheel sensors, costing £350 + VAT direct from Ford.

I have the sensors now and I just have to pay my garage for the inspection and also to fit these sensors, I have been told around £100 all in, I'd rather pay that than allow KWIK FIT to ever touch my car again, this could have quite easily caused an accident if the car was involved in an accident the wheels would have locked up.

My strong advice is NEVER use KWIK FIT for anything, they don't know what there doing and I think personally they need to be stopped trading.

I was lucky this time and £80 I saved I now have to pay £100 to put the fault right.

Dont use KWIK FIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Options
    Doodles22 wrote: »
    I have the sensors now and I just have to pay my garage for the inspection and also to fit these sensors, I have been told around £100 all in, I'd rather pay that than allow KWIK FIT to ever touch my car again, this could have quite easily caused an accident if the car was involved in an accident the wheels would have locked up.

i thought everyone knew not to use kwik fit even if they were the cheapest?

i thought you said the sensors were on the back wheels?
    if it was the front sensors your right the front wheels could have locked up but the rear wheels, i doubt it very much unless you pulled up the handbrake,which would still lock up the wheels abs or not.
    and further to this its still very easy to skid with abs fitted.
    ...work permit granted!
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i thought everyone knew not to use kwik fit even if they were the cheapest?

i thought you said the sensors were on the back wheels?
    if it was the front sensors your right the front wheels could have locked up but the rear wheels, i doubt it very much unless you pulled up the handbrake, which would still lock up the wheels abs or not.
    and further to this its still very easy to skid with abs fitted.

Because it’s a safety critical system I’d guess any fault seen in the ABS system would cause the electronics to turn it off completely.

When this happens you end up with standard non ABS brakes which will lock up if you press the pedal too hard.

Just like the old days in fact but with the added interest that the load sensing valves that used to be fitted to stop the back wheels locking up first are now not fitted anymore
  • Doodles22
    Options
    vaio wrote: »
    Because it’s a safety critical system I’d guess any fault seen in the ABS system would cause the electronics to turn it off completely.

When this happens you end up with standard non ABS brakes which will lock up if you press the pedal too hard.

Just like the old days in fact but with the added interest that the load sensing valves that used to be fitted to stop the back wheels locking up first are now not fitted anymore

Totally correct Vaio :beer:

Ford had told me as the ABS unit had detected a fault on a wheel it shut the whole ABS system down causing the ABS to turn off and only standard brakes were on.

Car is in Thursday for fitting the sensors and reprogramming of the ECU to reset fault code.

Just gla I managed to get them to pay for the parts TBH as £350 is mad money for two sensors :eek:
  • goldspanners
    Options
    vaio wrote: »

i doubt very much the back wheels would lock up.

and im not entirely sure the abs system would be totally switched off. i had a rear sensor ring missing from my focus for a few days which put the brake warning light on, i noticed absoloutly no difference to the characteristics of the brakes,heavy or light braking.
    ...work permit granted!
  • Doodles22
    Options
    i doubt very much the back wheels would lock up.

and im not entirely sure the abs system would be totally switched off. i had a rear sensor ring missing from my focus for a few days which put the brake warning light on, i noticed absoloutly no difference to the characteristics of the brakes,heavy or light braking.

Focus :rolleyes:
    Were talking about a Mondeo;)

And I think the people at Ford who made the car know what there talking about :rolleyes:

But thanks GoldSpanners, wasnt the charging system as you had said in your post earlier last week :rotfl:
  • goldspanners
    Options
    Focus :rolleyes:
    Were talking about a Mondeo;)

And I think the people at Ford who made the car know what there talking about :rolleyes:

But thanks GoldSpanners, wasnt the charging system as you had said in your post earlier last week :rotfl:

it was electrical though. a faulty alternator can give very similar symptons, dont know why you find it so funny.

so you actually spoke to the man who designed the abs electronics did you?
    or was it just someone who works in a ford dealership who gets paid to scare folk into getting thier car fixed?

and as for your "focus :rolleyes:" comment, if you knew anything about cars you would realise a lot of manufacturers like to share parts between different models they make so im sure a few part that my focus has will be the same part number as your mongdeo. lets hope not too many though or else you might see me on here moaning about £2000 MOTs and knackered door locks and fuc£ed rear shockers and whatever breaks on your mondeo next week.
    ...work permit granted!
  • Doodles22
    Options
    it was electrical though. a faulty alternator can give very similar symptons, dont know why you find it so funny.

so you actually spoke to the man who designed the abs electronics did you?
    or was it just someone who works in a ford dealership who gets paid to scare folk into getting thier car fixed?

and as for your "focus :rolleyes:" comment, if you knew anything about cars you would realise a lot of manufacturers like to share parts between different models they make so im sure a few part that my focus has will be the same part number as your mongdeo. lets hope not too many though or else you might see me on here moaning about £2000 MOTs and knackered door locks and fuc£ed rear shockers and whatever breaks on your mondeo next week.

So, is a Focus sensor the same as the Mondeo?:rolleyes:
    I think not, take a look on Ebay for example.

I spoke to the service department, Ford, not Rapid Fit, Ford checked there database which holds all the information on the car, is was clearly stated when he checked it infront of me 'ABS will fail' when dash warning light is on;)

Now as for your remarks, you have to understand that my car was very cheap when I brought it has the guy couldn't afford the insurance so I expected things to be wrong, and I feel that spending as much as I have on my car is well worth it.

Go look on Ebay for a Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6 Auto with full leather and Elec pack, you wont find one!
    Only a manual Ghia with half leather.

My car is very rare ;)

Thanks everyone for there advice

:beer:
  • goldspanners
    Options
    So, is a Focus sensor the same as the Mondeo?:rolleyes:
    I think not, take a look on Ebay for example.

I spoke to the service department, Ford, not Rapid Fit, Ford checked there database which holds all the information on the car, is was clearly stated when he checked it infront of me 'ABS will fail' when dash warning light is on;)

Now as for your remarks, you have to understand that my car was very cheap when I brought it has the guy couldn't afford the insurance so I expected things to be wrong, and I feel that spending as much as I have on my car is well worth it.

Go look on Ebay for a Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6 Auto with full leather and Elec pack, you wont find one!
    Only a manual Ghia with half leather.

My car is very rare ;)

Thanks everyone for there advice

:beer:

i know it isnt the same without looking because i have drums on the back, you will have discs.
    i dont know how you come to the conclusion that the guys insurance was to high so the car would be in a bad state of repair?

seen as your mongdeo is so rare then you can expect the high prices for parts and labour to continue to keep coming.

my mate has a cougar with the same v6 as yours,full leather, electric etc... but its no big deal really is it? most high spec cars come with leather,electrics,and large exec cars will mostly come with auto rather than manual.so as a mongdeo it may be rare but as a high spec v6 4 door saloon its not that rare really is it?
    ...work permit granted!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport